• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help, My Eris was typing a text by itself last night- what could this be?

Hi. I haven't posted here before but Ive been using this forum to learn about my phone since I got it. After doing the recent upgrage via the verizon notification I too have the 50% signal issue etc.

Verizon walked me through a factory reset less than a week ago. The only apps Ive installed are jewels and vexed games via market. (this is all for reference)

Okay so on to my current issue; At 9 pm last night I sent my gf a text asking her to get me a drink and set my phone down on a shelf. I always lock my phone when I set it down but cant swear that I did it this time. Anyway I'm fixing my hair and look over at my phone and notice it is wide awake and typing a text to my gf all by itself!

It was typing really fast and didn't respond when I picked it up and started trying to stop it until finally I hit the lock/end hard key and the screen went black- just as it does anytime when I lock it. I immediately unlocked the screen to find that text there, it had not actually sent the message on its own and I began looking through what I though was just a bunch of random letter to find actual words hidden!! Weird words like thy cycle fast buggy by thy thug... words hidden in a slew of letters which seem to be some sort of pattern. Anyway I saved the message as a draft. I called verizon this am and reported my problem. Basically was told this isn't normal and to keep an eye on it. The tech had me forward the text and acted as if he didn't know exactly what it was either. Weird...

I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else? Or if anyone has an idea of what this could be? I searched the topic and wasn't able to find something similar. If I over looked a thread on this topic, please forgive me and point me in the right direction.

thats creepy. post the message :p!

Here it is. It was very creepy just seeing my phone text on its own. Is it trying to tell me something? lol

Thy vtg Tch. Ttgtvyvgg tgx fvtv gdtgg v g v ,th ygtvt tytgv vvggf th g th tgtgv. th th tggg yfvvgg ggttv vg tv vyggvgy vytgg gyvgg g vgtyvvg vgvggvgtvgfgxg dtftgt v g. Tch tgvgcgg gvtg cycle ctvvr gggvggv gggvgfgggvvggyggg fasts ft ft vvgtgyvgggvyvgvvy tvggtgtvggyvgg gvvg th t vgt t ggggg. BUggy by gyggttvgcytggt tygv tvgv gdtgfytv v t. V GYttv thy hth g th v gggy gggtgggv tvvggvtgv vgggg. c aggv ggvggfvgttgggvgg v yygvgtgvgvgvg thy thugs gggygtvygvytgtvsttvgggttg gvgyggggggyg g ggxggvvavgghg. th hth th vtdvtv vgtvgvgxvggggtytgggg

Upvote 0
Well, it might be creepy and it might not.

Remember that the "keyboard" software uses word matching/prediction against a dictionary - so if there was something wrong with your touchscreen, and you left your phone in a state where the keyboard would be easily activated (for instance in the SMS app), it might start sending the "keyboard" software jibberish input. Then, the soft keyboard would try to match stuff in the jibberish to words in the dictionary. All of a sudden, your phone is "vexed" (excuse the bad pun), and appearing to write messages - part garbage, part words. Mostly short words, though, like "thy" and "by".

The capacitive touch-screen of the phone can act up in just the right conditions (low humidity, moving objects "near" to the screen but not touching it, etc). Don't know if that is what is happening - it is probably more likely that you just have a flaky touch-screen.

eu1

Upvote 0
wait, let's go back to the part where you texted your GF to ask her to get you a drink.

Huh???

I think I included irrelevant details. Sorry. What I was trying to get at was that I set my phone down with my conversation still open. I hadn't actually backed out of the conversation. I had just sent a successful txt, then set phone down. and it began to type in the blank text field of that conversation. (in other words my phone didn't open the msg app and choose a recipient and create this message totally on it's own) It input txt into message field as if it would be next message sent in my conversation. I'm not very good at explaining this, I'm sorry.

Upvote 0
Could a screen protector cause this?

Yes.

Especially a screen protector with something (dust, etc) 'tween it and the touch screen.

Also, post #5 has good insight about the possibilities.

I hate screen protectors. I would not even have one for my Blackberries. Just treat your screen like it's your best friend. It won't get your drinks, but it'll only text when you give direct input. ;)

Upvote 0
My phone hasn't exactly typed it's own message like that, but it has somehow copied and pasted part of or whole message text or previous messages I've sent. For example, I will send the message, "Sure, that sounds good, what time does the concert start again?" and when I go back into my phone, I'll have the message text in the field, "Sure, that sounds good, what time does the conc" or something like that. Sometimes it's the whole message, but it never sends. It's only happened since the 2.1 OTA, and I use ChompSMS.

I apologize if this has been covered, but seeing this thread just reminded me of it I guess.

Upvote 0
Awwww..... Buzzkill!

Sometimes being analytical just takes the mystery right out of life.

vexed-screen.jpg

What are the blue numbers here?

I took the text you pasted (537 letters) and did a character frequency count (No, not by hand. My dog, no!)

The characters which comprise the top 92% of all characters in that text, and their counts, are:

g 173
v 88
86 (space char)
t 77
y 32
h 19
f 11
c 8

Looks like it is a touchscreen thing.

Once - and only once - I was able to scroll my touchscreen by waving my finger near it. I haven't been able to reproduce that behavior though. (And yes, I have a Verizon-branded screen protector on my phone).

eu1

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Hi... i too faced the same problem
can u tell me that when you was sending message to your GF , was your phone connected to charger or not ? if your answer is yes....the problem which you got that's just because of charger...try to change the charger...and
Do not use USB cable charger (phone may get hang....)

i haven't posted here before

if any mistakes ..please forgive me
Thank you !

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
I literally just had the same thing so I googled it and found this. Mine made a bit more sense, I let it carry on for a while and decided to record it. I'll upload the video of it doing it some when. Here's the message though:

"Not a not my mom said hehour n in our n km onmy the inn in ni ni on anfsaffaaffsaafsasafsasa janfsaffaafffsasafsfas anfsaaffaaffsaafsasafsfasanfsaffaaffsaafsasafsfas anfsaffaaffsaafsasafsfas j jaffssasasa Jaff was was n. N N unknown in in n mk l in n mm kook mk on jinn jinn jinnah nnjnn John jn ni nu ii l l i am I'm n on Tue Nov if l on it non mm is unhook unhook n km j in l j ion jjj ni km knob noon l Nikki I'm n in n jnnnnnnnnninnn ini ink jij ijij j8n may not John Carroll or an"

I think someone named John Carroll is hacking my phone lmfao

Upvote 0
Not John Carroll again?!?

What keyboard do you use? It appears as if you've got a fair bit of word prediction in there but overall, it's more than likely either a touch screen software or, possibly, a hardware issue. Was the screen dirty? If so, did cleaning help?

Either way, it looks like John Carroll is trying to summon Cthulhu.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LOL, and old thread, but a great thread! :) [I remember reading this from way back in 2010!]

I'm pretty sure Xephon's experiencing the same kind of thing as the OP did when first reported, it's just that text prediction and custom dictionaries are probably much better and more in use nowaday's, so you're likely to get more non-garbled words reported.

By the way, if you want to do your own character frequency analysis, here's one way to do it (I used the text that Xephon reported above):

ScaryAlien@LV-426 ~
$ sed 's/ */ /g' freakytext.txt | tr ' ' '\n' | sort | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]' | uniq -c | sort -r -n

80 n
59 a
44 f
37 s
34 i
28 o
22 j
17 m
14 k
8 l
8 h
7 u
6 t
5 r
3 y
3 w
3 e
2 '
1 v
1 d
1 c
1 b
1 8
1 .

ScaryAlien@LV-426 ~

Cheers!

Upvote 0
This post maybe old but I found it after a google search. Last night I woke up to what sounded like my phone texting but I said to myself it was probably a dream even though the sound woke me up from a different dream so with out moving I opened my eyes and glanced at my phone which was still dark. Then as I went to close my eyes I instantly heard the sound. This time I jumped up and it stopped. I KNOW I was awake and the sound woke me. I have deleted all new apps bc that is just creepy.

Upvote 0
I know this is 6 years later but my phone actually texted me sentences. Well, what happened was I pressed the speaker icon that lets you speak into the phone so it can type what you are saying. I kept saying things but it texted something else. So I stopped talking but it kept typing even though no one was talking. I just kept pressing it and it kept typing on its own. They all didnt make sense but some were pretty clear. So ya....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones