• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC One M8 Screen flicker?

I'm referring back to my prior posts regarding differing display panels and calibrations...

Images Large! :
uc

uc

uc

uc

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Are both kind of displays affected by that screen flicker plague?

There is no plague. These are a very small handful of examples.

There is NO correlation at this point in time. It could be entirely unrelated. Not enough data has been gathered about the differences in displays. In fact, tracking back to the source of the photos(thread linked above), the photos pictured are both handsets with displays from the same manufacturer. Different calibrations it seems.

Not enough is known about the flickering yet as there have only been a few people to have noticed or posted about it.

Upvote 0
There is no plague. These are a very small handful of examples.

Well just on that thread at least three of us have seen that issue on one or more phones both in the US and in Germany. That's just too much coincidence... I'll bet that at least every second device is exhibiting that problem right now, it's just that some people are probably not bothered by it.
I'll try and find other models on display to see if they have the same problem.

I'm not talking about the calibration issues illustrated above, I'm talking about the "brightness" flicker shandroid described.

Upvote 0
hi guys.
just had phone replaced due to bad call sound.. and on new one i have noticed some screen flicker.. not much.. was most obvious over the stock keyboard it seems

I first noticed it too when doing text input where half of the screen is a white text field and and the other half is the virtual keyboard. To me it's totally disturbing and a deal breaker but I'm sure some people won't be bothered by it.

That's four and counting... :)

Reactions: dan55
Upvote 0
That's just too much coincidence... I'll bet that at least every second device is exhibiting that problem right now, it's just that some people are probably not bothered by it.

Or there aren't more complaints because it isn't happening 50% of the time and people can see just fine.

Rain in a few places doesn't mean it's raining everywhere.

If you get one with a problem, take it back for one that works.

Regardless of what the problem is, or what model, or who makes it.

:)

Upvote 0
Went to a Vodafone shop and I could not repro the issue there.
So I went back to that same TCOM shop to try it again and I could not reproduce the issue either. I could not find the app I was testing it with last week either. So either they reset the phone, uninstalled that app or just changed the phone. I could not tell really.

It could also be that that bug only kicks in in some specific situations, lighting, battery level, settings... One thing I remember is that last time I tried it the phone was really hot and this time it was rather cool. So maybe it's only an issue when overheating, or overheating had somehow damaged the display. Just guessing here.

Either way that HTC One M8 without that glitch looks pretty good. I particularly like that IR thing :)

Upvote 0
Display units get a fair share of abuse.

QFT. ;)

When you get your hands on one, try and set the screen brightness to "Auto". See if that causes any issues.

Maybe it's a sensor glitch with the Auto brightness and not a screen issue at all. :thinking:

I haven't see any of this since getting mine last week, and I've run it through the paces. :)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Got myself one of those HTC One M8 yesterday and I have to say I'm most impressed with both hardware and software.

I tried connecting a Thinkpad Bluetooth Keyboard without much hope of it working but to my amazement both keyboard and trackpoint mouse just worked and Android is totally usable with mouse and keyboard.

It's a pity home screen and app launcher do not support landscape out of the box but Ultimate Rotation Control does fix that quite nicely.

As for the IR part I did try out Smart Remote IR and it does the job but do expect some fiddling around with the UI and remote configurations.

HTC Blinkfeed seems to drain a lot of energy from the battery so I disabled it for now. Battery life seems really good though I did not use the GSM radio as I'm still awaiting a nano SIM card.

No flicker!

Upvote 0
Just noticed the flickering on my phone. It only occurred when scrolling down an email that contained a bunch of photos in the email body against a white background. That's the only time I've noticed it so far. It looked like the photos were flickering, not the entire screen, as I scrolled through them.

Upvote 0
Just noticed the flickering on my phone. It only occurred when scrolling down an email that contained a bunch of photos in the email body against a white background. That's the only time I've noticed it so far. It looked like the photos were flickering, not the entire screen, as I scrolled through them.

That's not a screen flickering, that's the app (mail in this case) and the phone not keeping up with the graphics content.

I had a browser do that, changed browsers, problem solved.

Screen flickering, if it's happening, will be apparent on a static, stationary screen - usually a setup screen is good for testing - while viewing straight on.

Upvote 0
That's not a screen flickering, that's the app (mail in this case) and the phone not keeping up with the graphics content.

I had a browser do that, changed browsers, problem solved.

Screen flickering, if it's happening, will be apparent on a static, stationary screen - usually a setup screen is good for testing - while viewing straight on.

Actually i just noticed the OP's screen flicker tonite. Static screen, white background with black text. The white background was flickering a slightly different shade. It was barely noticeable but it did catch it. Didn't bother me enough to consider returning the phone. Its not occurring as i write this either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones