• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I fixed my Infuse HOW!?

I don't doubt that one could get lucky once in awhile to correct a problem with mechanical agitation. However if it is throwing your phone randomly you are more likely to break the screen than to fix anything. As for whether everything stated in this thread is true....one cannot help but notice that the vast majority of testimonials in this thread come from "one-post wonders". Draw your own conclusions.

Have you tried it? No...? One cannot help but notice that... I just did this not but 10 minutes ago, and like i said in my post, you dont have to throw it. Simply dropping it from about a foot off my desk did the trick for me.

And us "one-post wonders" are more of just confirming that this works for the next skeptical person that comes along, wanting their phone to work again. Which, might I add, is one of the purposes of having a forum.

You sir, make my blood boil.

Upvote 0
Have you tried it? No...? One cannot help but notice that...

...And us "one-post wonders" are more of just confirming that this works for the next skeptical person that comes along, wanting their phone to work again. Which, might I add, is one of the purposes of having a forum.

You sir, make my blood boil.
Did I fling my phone randomly onto my driveway or drop my phone from above my head onto cement floor?
Nope. Two reasons:
1 - My phone has not experienced a bootloop indicative of broken power button. (The last bootloop I had was a result of improper flashing, and was fixed by using Heimdall.)
2 – I don’t need to try it to know it carries unacceptable risk of damaging my phone, any more than I need to jump off a bridge to decide it carries unacceptable risk of breaking bones.

You seem to imply I said mechanical agitation wouldn’t work, which is not what I said. What I said was “I don't doubt that one could get lucky once in awhile to correct a problem with mechanical agitation. However if it is throwing your phone randomly you are more likely to break the screen than to fix anything. “

Let’s look at the techniques reported as successful by these folks:
Cawley87 “I took the phone in my hand and threw it onto the driveway”

sixpistol “so I chucked the bitch across my kitchen”

jay22 “BAM smacked it on the ground”

cdwyer “i tossed my phone on the ground”

ftballplaya58 “went to the garage lifted the phone above my head and let it fall straight down on its back”

jorcamjax “i pitched it on the floor of my shop”
[by the way, jorcamjax repairs phones for a living and picked this phone up to “part it out”!]

kutekito “I chucked my phone across my living room”
...the main common theme seems to be flinging your phone onto the ground in an violent and mostly uncontrolled manner.

And the results reported from this experiment 7 out of 7 times are a positive result.
No destroyed screens or other damage reported from this random flinging.
No one registering to ask what they should do next because they tried it and it didn’t work. (and note... there are other causes of bootloop besides broken power button).
All registering just to share this one experience of successful phone flinging and then disappearing as quickly as they appeared.

Should we take everything we read on the internet as gospel truth, or should we apply common sense and view it with a grain of salt?

....I think we all know the answer to that question. And if we know something about the source of the info, that can help us decide how much weight to give to the information. The number of posts is one such piece of information readily to available for our consideration as we see fit. I have only suggested for people to consider this piece of info in drawing their conclusions. We know for a fact it is not outside the realm of possibility that a lunatic will walk into an elementary school and open fire... so I certainly do not consider it outside the realm of possibility that someone might register under more than one handle in order to make a sensational story even more sensational. My purpose is not to discredit anyone or impune anyone's integrity (I hope some of the people who registered to participate in this thread will continue on to post/contribute in other threads on Android Forums). My purpose is to advise caution to the reader with a bootloop who may be contemplating randomly flinging his phone based on 7 of 7 successful outcomes reported here.
you dont have to throw it. Simply dropping it from about a foot off my desk did the trick for me.
The thought you expressed here was almost exactly the point of my post.... i.e. that throwing your phone randomly is not a good idea (in spite of the glowing results reported in this thread). You probably want to try do it in a manner that is not likely to damage your phone. I will add that if you suspect a power button problem then you should focus on the area of the power button.

Here is a post on the subject of coping with broken Infuse Power button from xda:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1996709

Upvote 0
My Infuse power button stuck about six months ago. I fixed it with some positive reinforcement (smacking it against the windowsill) but that only lasted for about a month. I ended up having to use my old iPhone 3G until a voltage problem killed it this past Sunday. My solution for fixing the Infuse? Ripping the power button right out. I pried off the plastic button, revealing a tiny metal bracket holding the white button itself. I promptly removed both parts and the phone booted after being plugged in for a while. Obviously, it didn't get stuck in the bootloop. I installed an app called No Lock which allows me to wake the phone with the volume rocker and it's been smooth sailing from here. Probably not the fix you guys wanted to hear, but it worked for me.

i read your post and tried it myself.....IT WORKED(i love you)!!! i also installed no lock onto my phone and that works great as well. my only question is: how do you turn the phone off and on again??? please help me

Upvote 0
i read your post and tried it myself.....IT WORKED(i love you)!!! i also installed no lock onto my phone and that works great as well. my only question is: how do you turn the phone off and on again??? please help me
There are three reasons I can think of you may need your phone off:
1 – fresh start - clear cache, remove running programs, and return to known memory configuration.
2 – save battery from draining
3 – replace battery

Here are some coping strategies for each of the three purposes:

For purpose 1 – you can use Quick Boot (if you have root). Or Fast Reboot without root... simulates reboot.

For purpose 2, if you put phone in airplane mode, turn off display and leave it alone, battery usage should be minimal (use Better Battery Stats to check/improve deep sleep performance)

For purpose 3, phone will of course turn itself off when you remove the battery. It’s not good practice to do that, but if you only replace it once a year or so, maybe not such a big deal.

If you fly on airplanes a lot where phone needs to be shut off, could be a little more hassle to pull battery every time. Also if you flash ROMs, I'm not sure if you can get into recovery mode without power button. Could get into download mode with a USB jig for Heimdall and Odin type flashes.

Upvote 0
My phone was stuck on the boot loop for 2 days and I searched google and found this forum..I first found a thread about taking the phone apart and wiggling the power bower around and it would work but I couldnt find a screwdriver to fit it for the life of me. Anyway so I found this Topic and was angry so i decided what the heck...I held my phone about 2 foot off my kitchen floor and dropped it..Samsung logo Flashes once then phone TURNS ON!!!!! WOW I JUST JOINED BECAUSE I WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU. I also downloaded a app called magiclocker so I dont have to use my power button anymore. I just hope i never have to turn my phone on again LOL

Upvote 0
A key thing was mentioned, if you put the battery in and immediately go to bootloop (without pressing the power button), that's a sure sign of stuck power button.

If you try reasonable mechanical agitation and are unsuccessful, I posted above one xda link with some options. Here is another link of video on taking apart to clean the power button area
How To Fix Samsung Infuse 4G Boot Loop! - YouTube

Upvote 0
My infuse was also in the endless boot loop. I had given up hope...also went to att and was told the same story. I am so glad I found this post....as soon as I read the first post I thought wow they're lucky. When I saw it worked for others I didn't hesitate dropping it. It took a couple of tries but one last drop and it worked. Thank so much!!!!!!:D

Upvote 0
Huge thanks to electricpete for his youtube link on how to fix infuse. like many of you my infuse was in a boot loop cycle, samsung logo on then off, if i connected the charger the screen would display an empty battery.
i followed instructions on how to pop open and clean inside of infuse and sweeeeetness! infuse is back to life. confirmation that power button was dirty and needed some tlc. easy to do and quick.
thanks again electricpete you saved me some money and headaches.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to post an update and tell everyone that I'm more than glad to hear my story was able to help those in need!

I have recently upgraded to the Galaxy Note, but do still use my Infuse from time to time, mainly for filming video projects with friends. I am happy to say that the phone still works perfectly!

It has made me feel so happy reading everyone's stories about how my post has helped them out! Thanks guys.

Reactions: Lizadizzle
Upvote 0
Another first timer that had to sign up to express my thanks! My rooted Infuse had been in a boot loop for over 5 hours and I was starting to get a little hysterical. I ran across this post and decided to give it a try - the first few times I dropped it (in case, without case, onto carpet), it didn't do the trick. I decided to try a slightly more percussive surface, i.e. the tiles in my bathroom, and IT DID IT. I'm beyond excited to have my phone back without having to deal with the software side of the root.

Upvote 0
I stumbled upon this forum when I was incredibly frustrated and seeking a solution to my cell phones continuous looping, after reading many sites and only finding information on how to hard boot it and not being able to, I almost lost my marbles. The worse part was the phone was working fine, then just started rebooting,..

I chuckled as I read the comments in this forum about dropping the phone, even imagining how much worse I would feel if it broke it more,..then after reading the rest of the posts I thought I would look at my power button on the phone and see if it was indeed 'sticking in', it was..

So I decided that I would not 'drop it' per say, but I would gently bang the power button on my phone against my computer desk to see if it would dislodge the button and make it work.

Then all of a sudden I heard the sound of my phone actually starting up properly!!! horray!

HUGE thank you to this forum and all the posters within it, my phone is working.. My phone is my lifeline... :party:

Also thank you for posting a link on how to clean the phone...

Upvote 0
according to the post Samsung people deny the repair and simply don't accept it... I was more worried and then when I read more and more got confidence on the solution provided... keeping all the good luck in the heart just dropped the phone still carefully on the floor 2 times... but it didn't worked.. when threw carelessly the third n final attempt it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
In my household, we have 5 Infuses now all 15 months old (all bought during Holidays 2011).

It was just a matter of time before we got hit. And my youngest daughter (who uses her phone the most) was hit a few weeks back.

Mechanical agitation did cure it... FOR AWHILE.
Guess what... it always comes back.

I'm the only one? Only the one-post wonders qualify for the miracle cure (Lord... I am HEALED) ? Could be an outrageous coincidence, I guess. Or could be something simpler.

I took my phone apart and cleaned it, no change.
I sent it off here.
Samsung Infuse 4G Power Button Repair - MobileTechVideos.COM
Total $38.
$8 for shipping from my home to repair site
$30 includes repair and return shipment to my home
Will let you know the results

Upvote 0
I googled to find this page. Desperate to fix my wife's phone that was stuck in the Infuse boot loop, I had read every stupid reset page I could find. Obviously nothing was working when I stumbled across this page. I thought, what the hell, why not. So I slammed it down on a table. Boom. White screen boot up, now working.

Idk how it fixed it, but whatever. I hate this damn phone, can't wait til August upgrades.

Just wanted to say THANKS! :D

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
I am trying to turn in my infuse for a new phone since I am eligible and have been lost without it. So i need it to be working in order to get any credit from it. I have spent days working on it. Finally one last look for a fix and thought I have nothing to lose. I dropped it gingerly at first and it didn't work - so went into another room and held it high and dropped it - AND IT CAME BACK ON!! I was just amazed......thanks!!!

Upvote 0
It is a youtube video, but I can't post it here.

How To Fix a Constantly Rebooting / Restarting Samsung Smartphone:

Common problem on Samsungs. Easy fix.

Most questions from the comments are answered below, feel free to comment with any comments or other questions :)
----------------------------------------*----------------------------------------*--
IF THE VIDEO DID NOT CLARIFY THE ACTUAL FIX;
Tap the power button repeatedly with a little force (use a fingernail against the button, as you would tap your nail on a desk) that usually frees it from its stuck position.

IS THIS THE FIX FOR YOUR PHONE?
If you took your battery out and your phone boots on its own when you put the battery back in (keeps resetting) without touching any buttons then the power button is indeed your issue. If not, it's something else.

IF YOUR PHONE BOOTS RIGHT WHEN YOU PUT THE BATTERY IN (DESCRIBED ABOVE) AND MY SOLUTION DIDN'T WORK;
Unfortunately your button needs a darn good cleaning (taking your phone apart and cleaning the button with compressed air, denatured alcohol etc.) or needs replacement.

Upvote 0
Hey! There is a video on youtube which will help you. It worked for me.

Common problem on Samsungs. Easy fix.

Most questions from the comments are answered below, feel free to comment with any comments or other questions :)
----------------------------------------*----------------------------------------*--
IF THE VIDEO DID NOT CLARIFY THE ACTUAL FIX;
Tap the power button repeatedly with a little force (use a fingernail against the button, as you would tap your nail on a desk) that usually frees it from its stuck position.

IS THIS THE FIX FOR YOUR PHONE?
If you took your battery out and your phone boots on its own when you put the battery back in (keeps resetting) without touching any buttons then the power button is indeed your issue. If not, it's something else.

IF YOUR PHONE BOOTS RIGHT WHEN YOU PUT THE BATTERY IN (DESCRIBED ABOVE) AND MY SOLUTION DIDN'T WORK;
Unfortunately your button needs a darn good cleaning (taking your phone apart and cleaning the button with compressed air, denatured alcohol etc.) or needs replacement.

Upvote 0
WOW!!! That's all I can say about this fix! So ill start it off. Im American, but im living in Germany with my gf of 4 years. I brought my Att infuse4g here with me since it was unlocked. It rooted(by me) and unlocked(att sim unlock). Im running the 2/19/2014 Beanstalk 4.4.2 build. And its been a buggy build for the last week random reboots at least once a day. However previous build haven't had that issue ( and I expect this will be fixed in the next ROM update). Anyways so on Friday I was working at my bosses house helping him with some new paving stones and building a sandbox for his kids. And of course my phone dropped onto the cement blocks. And immediately went into a bootloop. So of course I took out the battery until I got home yesterday evening. Then I tried switching out my newer battery with the original I had laying around. And it keep looping. So thinking my battery was just totally dead I had to charge it. And as we know, the infuse cant charge while looping. So I have a external universal battery charger I use to charge my camera batteries and other stuff ( its adjustable and I can align the charging station to any battery terminal size arrangement. this morning I woke up and gave it a shot ( battery 100%), but still it kept boot looping. I knew that the power button has been a constant problem with infuse4g's. So I decided id take apart my phone and give it a thorough cleaning with alcohol and q tips. I then thought I would try a little re flow just in case something came lose when it fell on the cement. And reassembled, stil wouldn't work.!!! I was about to break my phone and just give up!!! And then I calmed down because I didn't want to lose some pics and stuff :) So I googled fixes and found this page and after about 15 drops of various angles and speed, my phone booted to success and me backing up my crap! thanks to the OP!!! saved my data !!! :)

Upvote 0
OK so I recently had this boot loop thing happen to me for the first time after a three year rock solid performance from my Samsung Infuse with absolutely no issues whatsoever since day one.

I tried all the other solutions I found on the internet first, I took the phone apart, cleaned it, made sure all the connections were making contact, did a factory reset etc... . Nothig worked so I figured what the heck, I will try your solution and drop it. I droped it from about 4 feet onto a hardwood floor and prayed my screen would not crack, HORAHHHH! IT WORKED!!!!!

Thanks for this excelent post, it saved me some $$$!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones