• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i will go crazy with Galaxy Ace Internal Memory

I dun find any app called root explorer In market....I only saw an app called explorer and installed it, I saw data and all the steps u talked about but for example when I click on data .....I see this folder is protected and not accessible from normal file managers...etc, and there is a button "download root explorer" I selected it but also the app doesn't exist :( plz help ? My phone is rooted!

Upvote 0
I dun find any app called root explorer In market....I only saw an app called explorer and installed it, I saw data and all the steps u talked about but for example when I click on data .....I see this folder is protected and not accessible from normal file managers...etc, and there is a button "download root explorer" I selected it but also the app doesn't exist :( plz help ? My phone is rooted!

Its a paid app my friend, there are other free apps also which give you root access like ES File explorer, Astro file manager etc.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer&hl=en

Reactions: yrfmaicky
Upvote 0
how to root???..:(((..plz help...tell me the instuctions.

I FOUND THE SOLUTION TODAY AND I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT AT ALL!!!!

1 - Root the phone
2 - Install Root Explorer or any application that can enables you to see and modify root files.
3 - Go to /data/log
4 - Select and delete all files
5 - Go to /cache
6 - Select and delete all .apk files

Using this method, I deleted 80MB of garbage I didn't know where it was missing :D

Every time an app crashes, Gingerbread creates an error log file that's about 250 kB and stores it in the internal memory. Moreover, every time a download fails in the android market, the corrupted .apk file is stored in the internal memory.

Of course, to save more place, move all apps to the SD, including the ones that are stated as "non-movable" by app2sd (methods discussed in other topics).

Good Luck!!

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the information I found here, I could recover my Galaxy Ace memory and now started installing all the apps I had to delete in the past.

This was a real saviour and now I'm very happy with my phone again. Before doing this I even couldn't get sms.

For those that couldn't find a root explorer, I downloaded one called Root Browser Lite and it worked for me, I could free like 100MB from the logs and the cache (mostly the logs).

Upvote 0
Been trying to solve this one for a long time and nothing worked... the "code" tip released a couple of Mb, cleaning caches and logs also, but no matter what, the phone was full again in no time. Well, there IS a solution. first do everything specified in this thread. It will probably release some space, if not much. On my wife's Ace it released like 4Mb, on my friends' exactly 0. :) Here's what to do:

* root your phone. It is rather easy to root Galaxy Ace. Just copy the "root.zip" (and "unroot.zip" if you plan on unrooting) to your SD card, boot in system recovery and update from update.zip

* then install program called "Link2SD". No, this is NOT the same as all other apps that move programs to SD card. link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD&hl=en

* Now, you have to reformat your SD card. The instructions are given in description of L2SD, but let's repeat here:

** get program Minitool and install
** backup your SD card to computer
** run Minitool and make 2 partitions - both should be primary.
** first FAT partition is your standard SD card storage
** The second partition is used for application files and can be ext2, ext3, ext4 or FAT32.. Should be smaller, i.e. 512Mb-1Gb should probably be enough.
** Some phones don't support ext2, ext3 or ext4 file system and you may get mount errors like "no such device", "invalid argument". These phones have to use FAT32

* Link2SD mounts the second partition of your SD card and makes OS mounts it at boot time

Then you can move your apps to this 2nd partition. You have been able to achieve similar thing by moving apps to SD card from android, but not all apps, i.e. some just didn't support this, and all apps with widgets didn't work. With this method, all apps work.

But more important, you can also move updated apps from internal memory to the system, so they don't have to be on your phone twice.

I.e.: you phone comes with Google Maps, GMail, Play and several other apps. I mention these 3 because they occupy pretty much space. These apps are in system partition. When you update these apps, the original remains on your system and the app is installed again on your internal memory, thus occupying more space because it is there twice! With Link2SD you can replace apps in your system with the updated ones, thus saving a lot of internal storage!

I managed to free a total of 70Mb on my wife's Ace with this by moving ALL apps to SD card and moving updated apps to the system.... OK, when the cache filled again, it took like 20-25 Mb, so now there are like 40-50Mb free, but remember - I created 1Gb partition on SD so there's a lot of space for any new apps there!!! You wouldn't have to use the internal memory for apps anymore :)

Hope this helps someone.

cheers,
D.
Thanks so much for this D. It has 'mostly' worked however some apps I try to move (Google Play, Maps included) give me an Failure: pkg: /data/app/com.android.vending-1.apk Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_INSTALL_LOCATION]
Any ideas??
(Things that worked: AdService, Facebook)
Phone: Galaxy Ace, Gingerbread, rooted, 8Gb SD card with 2nd primary partition as 2Gb (yeah, I know, plenty of room there!)

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for this D. It has 'mostly' worked however some apps I try to move (Google Play, Maps included) give me an Failure: pkg: /data/app/com.android.vending-1.apk Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_INSTALL_LOCATION]
Any ideas??
(Things that worked: AdService, Facebook)
Phone: Galaxy Ace, Gingerbread, rooted, 8Gb SD card with 2nd primary partition as 2Gb (yeah, I know, plenty of room there!)

These are system apps and you can't move them, I think.

Upvote 0
Been trying to solve this one for a long time and nothing worked... the "code" tip released a couple of Mb, cleaning caches and logs also, but no matter what, the phone was full again in no time. Well, there IS a solution. first do everything specified in this thread. It will probably release some space, if not much. On my wife's Ace it released like 4Mb, on my friends' exactly 0. :) Here's what to do:

* root your phone. It is rather easy to root Galaxy Ace. Just copy the "root.zip" (and "unroot.zip" if you plan on unrooting) to your SD card, boot in system recovery and update from update.zip

* then install program called "Link2SD". No, this is NOT the same as all other apps that move programs to SD card. link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD&hl=en

* Now, you have to reformat your SD card. The instructions are given in description of L2SD, but let's repeat here:

** The second partition is used for application files and can be ext2, ext3, ext4 or FAT32.. Should be smaller, i.e. 512Mb-1Gb should probably be enough.
** Some phones don't support ext2, ext3 or ext4 file system and you may get mount errors like "no such device", "invalid argument". These phones have to use FAT32

* Link2SD mounts the second partition of your SD card and makes OS mounts it at boot time

Then you can move your apps to this 2nd partition. You have been able to achieve similar thing by moving apps to SD card from android, but not all apps, i.e. some just didn't support this, and all apps with widgets didn't work. With this method, all apps work.

But more important, you can also move updated apps from internal memory to the system, so they don't have to be on your phone twice.

I.e.: you phone comes with Google Maps, GMail, Play and several other apps. I mention these 3 because they occupy pretty much space. These apps are in system partition. When you update these apps, the original remains on your system and the app is installed again on your internal memory, thus occupying more space because it is there twice! With Link2SD you can replace apps in your system with the updated ones, thus saving a lot of internal storage!

I managed to free a total of 70Mb on my wife's Ace with this by moving ALL apps to SD card and moving updated apps to the system.... OK, when the cache filled again, it took like 20-25 Mb, so now there are like 40-50Mb free, but remember - I created 1Gb partition on SD so there's a lot of space for any new apps there!!! You wouldn't have to use the internal memory for apps anymore :)

Hope this helps someone.

cheers,
D.

I have a 4GB SDcard ,I've done all that steps u said but when I tried to create the 2nd partition which is ex2 and primary, it keeps saying "Minitool partition wizard can't create a new partition on this removable disk, If you like to create several partitions on this removable disk, you need to delete all the partitions first." Then I did deleted all partitions and it appeared an unallocated Partition 3.65GB, I click create on it and made the first partition which is FAT32,Primary, 2.65GB then "apply" Then it appeared another unallocated Partition, I clicked create but that Error Msg above appeared again! So please any solution?!

Upvote 0

Hope this helps someone.

cheers,
D.

Cheers buddy, been trying all sorts but this has sorted our problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones