• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS on SGSII Epic 4G Touch

I guess my real issue isn't whether or not a particular update is ever going to come down the pipe. Hell, I didn't even know my sII was going to get ICS till I bought the phone and the sales guy mentioned it.

My problem is how both carriers and handset manufacturers are marketing and pushing the android microcosm.

Yes, the touch/4G is a great phone and has the potential of being by your side for a good while.

Hypothetically: Let's say 90% of all customers re/signing a 2 year contract decide in their mind that they are going to hang onto their handsets for the duration of their 2 years and maybe even well after that.
Samsung, HTC, etc would be in DEEP shit if that ever happened and they know this. So they have to move units. Carriers by the same token have to get people to continue to sign their lives away and so they enter into a partnership with phone manufacturers.

Google announces that a new OS code named Peppermint Dick is on it's way. It's amazing and revolutionary. It can satisfy your wife better than you've been able to lately, tell your kids to shut the **** up when they're being too loud and maybe get you a beer. Problem is you need a Hexacore processor phone with 12 gigs of RAM in order to run it.

So you buy a phone that "may" get the update, and the sales guys high five each other and laugh as you walk out of the store.
Meanwhile, a month later, HTC announces their new phone - Mr Incredible Pants and Google is starting to whisper about an update that can punch a hole in the wall.

I guess, it's part of the reason I'm starting to like the iPhone. Yeah, they're overpriced, tiny and spec-wise they don't hold a candle to android phones but at the same time you know what you're getting into for the next year or 2 and you know they're only going to upgrade their camera in the next 8 months or so and put an S at the end of the name.

I agree. I have had to buy 3 Android phones the past few years just to get the current OS my phone runs on :rolleyes: oh and because you only are allowed a new phone every two years, I had to pay retail for the last two which was like $1200 total. I am also tired of the absurd fragmentation, waiting for a carrier to determine if I phone I just paid good money for a few months ago will even get updated. At least with iOS updates, everyone gets them and at the same time.

To the Sprint rep trashing the iPhone, who gives a flying crap about quad core phones? You DO realize most Android apps don't even take full use of dual core processors right? Quad core processors is just more BS hype to make Android fanboys rush out and spend more money on a new phone so they can brag about useless specs their phones have.

Upvote 0
Wow, you people who are complaining about the new software release please get a grip. If you're that troubled by having to wait to get the "free" update, than go buy yourself an iPhone every year and quit your belly-aching here. My SII is still the baddest phone on the planet and it's just a nice bonus to get the new software...when it gets released.

THANK YOU. This man wins the key to the universe.

Upvote 0
Of coarse he does.

He just perpetuated the age ole forum stigma of - people bitching about people bitching about people bitching.

Hypocrisy is further elevated when after online high fives are handed out to various members whom, doing a previous post search, turns out are not exempt from bitching about other things in the past on here.

Upvote 0
Ummm, thats how to root your phone. I was asking how to get ICS on my phone without having to root it

Edit: Actually that's my bad, that was one you have to be rooted first :p. I didn't read all the way through lol. But there really was one that you just flashed with ODIN and it would give you stock ICS. I'll keep looking for that one.

Edit 2: I found the one that you don't have to be rooted but there's really no instructions on how to do it so I don't if y'all would want to use it. If you know how to ODIN already then it would be easy.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1548586

Upvote 0
Edit: Actually that's my bad, that was one you have to be rooted first :p. I didn't read all the way through lol. But there really was one that you just flashed with ODIN and it would give you stock ICS. I'll keep looking for that one.

Edit 2: I found the one that you don't have to be rooted but there's really no instructions on how to do it so I don't if y'all would want to use it. If you know how to ODIN already then it would be easy.

[ODIN] [TAR] Samsung D710 Epic 4g Touch FC13 and FC15 Deleting at 12:00 "03182012" - xda-developers

Every Rom that is out there right now you have to be rooted..Which will give you Superuser Permissions...Thats the way it works...Try askin that question on XDA...:D

Upvote 0
To the Sprint rep trashing the iPhone, who gives a flying crap about quad core phones? You DO realize most Android apps don't even take full use of dual core processors right? Quad core processors is just more BS hype to make Android fanboys rush out and spend more money on a new phone so they can brag about useless specs their phones have.

Oh I am not disagreeing. I was trying to point out that the whole concept of the iPhone is trying to get people excited for specs that are NOT top of the line. Mr. Burzum is interested in buying an iPhone because he knows what to expect from Apple. In turn, I commented that if you buy a phone no matter what it is and expect something more than is already in the box, you have another thing coming, no matter what the brand is.

I don't expect anyone to run out and buy a new phone every 6 months when the "next big thing" comes out. But people choose to do that on their own accord because they want features not in their current device. I believe Apple generally comes out with an iPhone update every year or so. That could present the same issue.

Upvote 0
Of coarse he does.

He just perpetuated the age ole forum stigma of - people bitching about people bitching about people bitching.

Hypocrisy is further elevated when after online high fives are handed out to various members whom, doing a previous post search, turns out are not exempt from bitching about other things in the past on here.

Course*

Well done...

Upvote 0
Of coarse he does.

The thing is, you can look at all my posts. I have not been bitching about anything. I know my SGSII beats the crap out of the iPhone 4S. I see ICS as just something else to add to the thick layers of awesome.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Cavemansol
Upvote 0
Reading through that, and i didnt understand a word....God im getting old.

Is there a MAC version?

Setup For Mac...
Please Read...

Reference Section
A) Resources
a1) hunterkiller/sextape - Leaked FC07
a2) tar.md5 versions of One-Click (for regular ODIN):
SPH-D710.FC07_CL223613_ROOTED-sfx.exe [Mirror1] [MD5: 84beabbb5175f60c710af75160aa7d36 / Size: 303,634,768]
SPH-D710.FC07_CL223613_ROOTED_NODATA-sfx.exe [Mirror1] [MD5: f8ae502a4267c43c60310a5f33ca1d43 / Size: 302,633,886]

B) (Individual) STOCK FC07 ODIN Components
b0) Odin3 v1.85 (windows)
- these are ODIN tar.md5 files bundled in a 7-zip self-extractor
- ONLY use PDA Button for any of the following
- Windows - Double-click on the self-extractor and choose your ODIN directory
- Mac/Linux - Use 7-zip to extract
b1) [ODIN] FC07 Modem [Mirror1] [MD5: c1a13d60ac903ec00191bee60768203d / Size: 4,092,856]
b2) [ODIN] FC07 Kernel [Mirror1] [MD5: 539f9d2b1886ce2a74abcf7ab53ccf67 / Size: 6,074,266]
b3) [ODIN] FC07 ROM [Mirror1] [MD5: 3b6468496a27ee6d681abe0042b577d3 / Size: 283,852,682]
b4) [ODIN] FC07 ROM + root [Mirror1] [MD5: faf9994412a94dea8d18d106e72c3aea / Size: 285,173,912]

C) FAQ
c1) Windows tells me "Unrecognized device (code 42)" and ODIN OC doesn't see my phone

Last edited by sfhub; 10th March 2012 at 05:18 PM.

Reactions: Cavemansol
Upvote 0
I know that rooting is very popular right now, especially with ICS OS. Personally I DO NOT recommend it. It voids your warranty, and can fry your phone. Wait for the official update, People! It will be here soon.

The rumors do better for Europe than they do here. Europe has the rumors, we have Europe! When Europe gets it, we'll know it'll be in the states soon. Duh!

Upvote 0
Well u can always unroot your phone & its actually pretty easy. The chances of bricking your phone are very slim & even if u do u can unbrick ur phonr as well & thats also not hard at all. The privaledges of rooting far exceed any cons. No carrier IQ on most roms & ability to remove bloatware are priceless IMO.

Upvote 0
I know that rooting is very popular right now, especially with ICS OS. Personally I DO NOT recommend it. It voids your warranty, and can fry your phone. Wait for the official update, People! It will be here soon.

The rumors do better for Europe than they do here. Europe has the rumors, we have Europe! When Europe gets it, we'll know it'll be in the states soon. Duh!

Ive bricked my phone ...3 times in the past two months...But Soft Bricks...got out of them in 20 minutes or less thru Odin...Why wait and complain about whats takin Sammy so long to push ICS when you can have it now...

Its a very simple process if you can read and follow directions...I luv runnin all the Custom GB Roms and the new ICS Ones...I won't even go back to GB at the moment...ICS is Hot....

If you don't want to brick your phone...
Read This... How Not To Brick Your E4GT - xda-developers

Cmon...Jump in ...The Water's Fine...Enjoy your self a Bit...Life's too Short...;)

Upvote 0
Oh, HAI!

Here is an interesting new article talking somewhat about the "update debacle" as well as grading of carrier's promises to deliver.

The Best (and Worst) Manufacturers for Actually Getting Android Updates

Pretty mindblowing others out there not only talking about it but felt it necessary to grade carriers and their relationships to the people that bought their product. Nary a comment on there either about them shutting the f*ck up and just be happy with this month's porridge.

Google Porridge - If you don't eat yer porridge, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer porridge! :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones