• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] ECHOE Rom

There will probably be a hack once kernel sources are released, but I'll be upgrading to the new boot loader within the not to distant future. I don't see too much reason to stick to the old one. So what if you trip the Knox flag? Has anyone read any posts up to now where Samsung refuses a warranty issue due to a tripped Knox flag? So what if you can't downgrade? I've never done so in 3 years.

And I want the latest 4g modem, and not be forced to stick with mh1. No doubt as more updates roll out, more and more features will benefit from the having the latest boot loader and 4g modem installed.

Knox has been scaremongered up to the hilt. I'll soon dive in and see what occurs.

Upvote 0
Personally i like the idea that I'm able to downgrade, but you are right enough that I've not done it often!

I thought you could upgrade modems fine without the new bootloader, but then i don't have 4g included in my contract, and my two years will probably be finished in the s8 before i get 4g in my area!

I am currently more wary of any new issues that could arise in time with a blown Knox counter. But time will tell, certainly i doubt I'll ever need to use knox security anyway!

Upvote 0
There are 2 modems. A 3g one which is the one you will already be familiar with, which also controls your standard radio signal, and a 4g (LTE) modem otherwise known as non-hlos.bin. you cannot upgrade to the latest of these when still on the old boot loader.

One current problem with the old bootloaders that had emerged are on he 4.4 ROMs, where you cannot charge the phone whilst it is switched off. Power will always be restored and it will boot up. This quirk may well be the first of many that old bootloaders working on 4.4+ ROMs will encounter

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0
Do you think we will get a work around for a fully Working sammy rom? Or will we, with the old bootloader be stuck with aosp based roms/ jelly bean?

im using Goldeneye 4.4.2 NB8 (sammy rom), knox free, rom has no bootloader.

|ROM| |★GOLDENEYE★| |I9505|►XXUFNB8◄|4.4.2|KITKAT| |4.3|JB| |►22R2◄|Feb.28.14 - xda-developers

been using it for a couple of days on my old bootloader S4, smooth as silk, but only real difference in everyday use (as opposed to 4.3) is a few added menu options for default apps, and the location settings have been improved. oh, and the status bar icons are white...

and im using it with my old 4.3 MKF modem without a hitch.

Reactions: Sydney99
Upvote 0
Can't remember if its an option under settings or in gravity box, but can anyone point me in the direction of how to get rid of the annoying notification keyboard that pops up every time you type......Can't remember where to find it and just cannot find the setting anywhere......

Never bothered me personally, Syd. Have you tried...

GravityBox > Statusbar tweaks > Ongoing notification blocker.

Reactions: Sydney99
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones