• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is anyone actually working on a ICS/JB Rom?

Upvote 0
Looks like I found something unexpected in the ICS, donor phone code :)

Cayman is the code name for the LG MS840.

The source has 2 folders in it, meaning either an update is coming soon. Or they just merged their code in anyways for good keeping.

Kernel/lge/lge_board/cayman_mpcs
Kernel/lge/lge_board/cayman_sprint

Hey PG, you know the build process a little better :) was it right under our noses the whole time in the kernel source??

/kerner/arch/arm/configs/cayman_mpcs_us_defconfig

Interestingly I can't seem to find references to the RIL anywhere. Isn't that what you said you needed for the CM9/10? :)

Upvote 0
I couldn't make 2 cents out of whatever that post was all about. Sounded like a shortcut to enable/disable data. That should be in your settings anyways.

There are cases where the gs3 would lose radio info like meid, min, phone number, etc and stuff when flashing. That post tells how to restore them using anycut from stock rom. As I said it might not be the same thing for the connect but is worth a shot.

There was nothing in there as obvious as enabling/disabling the data. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm no dev to be sure but one time I accidently flashed a cricket stock rom to a metro phone and it did something similar and I used qpst to reconfig the radio manually. Since lte is quallcomm you should be able to do the same thing, but I haven't used qpst in a long time and never used it on a lte phone. Just a suggestion from a patient connect user waiting on his bite of ICS :)

Upvote 0
Hey, the ICS rom you flashed... you didn't build it from source code right? What did you do exactly so we're on the same page? How did you go about flashing it?

The one I will end up creating will be a clockworkmod flashable zip, built from the source code. Hopefully later tonight I get closer to doing that. I've already merged the sources so i might just have to compile and bam.:smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Just to let you guys know... under the battery my model number says ms840v. I have always been using the stock unrooted rom and the software my phone uses is ms840vv3...

Funny, I noticed on the LG Source code download page there was an MS840V, It must be a very similar variation. Was it called the Connect 4G when you bought it or something slightly different? Perhaps they tried to address the heating issue, or use a slightly different battery size.

Upvote 0
Funny, I noticed on the LG Source code download page there was an MS840V, It must be a very similar variation. Was it called the Connect 4G when you bought it or something slightly different? Perhaps they tried to address the heating issue, or use a slightly different battery size.

I never notice any heating issues. It will heat up a lil while surfing with 4 g. I also use the 1500 mah bat which would last from 7am to 2~3 pm. I always would have a great signal too.

Upvote 0
Hey, the ICS rom you flashed... you didn't build it from source code right? What did you do exactly so we're on the same page? How did you go about flashing it?

The one I will end up creating will be a clockworkmod flashable zip, built from the source code. Hopefully later tonight I get closer to doing that. I've already merged the sources so i might just have to compile and bam.:smokingsomb:

I used kp500 lg tool to flash this rom, kinda like kdz. I flashed the vs840zv7.cab... which source code are you building from?

Upvote 0
I used kp500 lg tool to flash this rom, kinda like kdz. I flashed the vs840zv7.cab... which source code are you building from?

The official ICS update source code for the LG Viper (LS840).
It's posted at the top. This would end up being a real build, assuming they finished the metro pcs code that's included in there. If it actually works, after using clockwork mod to flash it, then that means I can also edit the kernel/rom etc... :)

I'm pretty sure by using that flash tool, there's a chance it flashes much more than just the rom part. It possibly did some extra stuff, explaining the radio problem and no longer having clockwork mod.

Upvote 0
The official ICS update source code for the LG Viper (LS840).
It's posted at the top. This would end up being a real build, assuming they finished the metro pcs code that's included in there. If it actually works, after using clockwork mod to flash it, then that means I can also edit the kernel/rom etc... :)

I'm pretty sure by using that flash tool, there's a chance it flashes much more than just the rom part. It possibly did some extra stuff, explaining the radio problem and no longer having clockwork mod.

I can get clockwork mod if i flash bac to zva just no 4g. But yea, that tool might have edited the bootloader because i had an encryption error.

Upvote 0
I can get clockwork mod if i flash bac to zva just no 4g. But yea, that tool might have edited the bootloader because i had an encryption error.

Hmm... I'm not too good with the CDMA part of things, but I'm pretty sure LGNPST would be the tool for the job. I read that PG has the tot file, but missing a dll. Maybe finding that dll is your ticket.

Can you post the flash tool that you used so I can see it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones