• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Issues with wifi calling only on our network

sachertorte

Apr 16, 2018
My wife and I were/are having wifi calling issues. We have been able to determine that the issue is something with our home wifi network. We found that out when we went on vacation and logged onto the hotel wifi. Wifi calling there was 100%, as opposed to mostly not, at home. Now here is the stumper. The hotel wifi was really slow, slow enough that I could not post this here, or call up some web sites or upload some of my Trip Advisor reviews. Mostly, nothing happened when doing so. Back at home I generally get 70mbps speed with no issues other than the wifi calling. Does anybody have any ideas on how to proceed with fixing this?

Thanks,

Danny

Well more info is needed.

So it seems you have had the phones a while and have had your same isp provider for a while. Have you had the router since you have had the phones?

What is your carrier? And do you and your wife have the same phone?
Are you on the latest Oreo OS?

Since you can get wifi on another router/etwork, this proves the phone is not the culprit, so this fourm may not be of much help. Sounds like your phone(s) is/are working normally yes? (Making calls, web browsing, etc).

Your next course of action is reaching out to your ISP. Asking if there have been any local issues with your internet.

Are you on cable modem? Comcast? Just guessing.

Next up is the router as was mentioned already. Did you make any changes on the LAN side recently? Maybe worth a factory reset.

One other thing you can do is clear your phones cache, which is done by having the phone in a power off state and turning it on via the bixby+power+vol up button until the android robot screen pops up and selecting the clear cache option. This procedure is easily found online if you want to understand more about it.

Upvote 0
Well more info is needed.

So it seems you have had the phones a while and have had your same isp provider for a while. Have you had the router since you have had the phones?

What is your carrier? And do you and your wife have the same phone?
Are you on the latest Oreo OS?

Since you can get wifi on another router/etwork, this proves the phone is not the culprit, so this fourm may not be of much help. Sounds like your phone(s) is/are working normally yes? (Making calls, web browsing, etc).

Your next course of action is reaching out to your ISP. Asking if there have been any local issues with your internet.

Are you on cable modem? Comcast? Just guessing.

Next up is the router as was mentioned already. Did you make any changes on the LAN side recently? Maybe worth a factory reset.

One other thing you can do is clear your phones cache, which is done by having the phone in a power off state and turning it on via the bixby+power+vol up button until the android robot screen pops up and selecting the clear cache option. This procedure is easily found online if you want to understand more about it.

marctronixx,
Thanks for the reply. I will reply briefly in a broad sense right now and will tackle more of the questions later.

Our phones are working properly, and that is a relief, and probably preferable, as a cable modem and wifi router are cheaper than phones.

Nothing has changed, other than the following.

A) Both of our phones are about 6 weeks old. Mine is a Note 8, the wife has a Samsung Galaxy S9.
B) There were no hardware or software or ISP changes aside from the new Phones themselves (our prior phones were not wifi call capable), and that I put a new key on the 2.4 ghz channel. I changed the settings on our laptops to reflect the new key. I found out that the job was not that simple, as we had wifi printing issues after that. At the time, when rushing to go for vacation, the simplest solution was to go back to the old wifi router key both on the router and laptops and get wifi print capability back, which it did. None of this affected the phones, as both are on the 5 ghz channel, which was untouched.

The problem here is, as you touched on, it seems to be a network issue, which may be beyond the scope of this forum, but on the other hand, as it concerns the use of phones, it may also be beyond the scope of a computer forum. Unfortunately, this is a difficult thing, a multi-discipline issue.

Danny

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
thanks for the response.

so what we know is the phones work even on public hotel networks, so it may be safe to say there are no internal issues with the phone or its hardware.
the router at your home seems to be likely here.

unfortunately, to really go to ground level, it may be necessary to factory reset the router, or perhaps not recommended, DMZ your LAN and see how the phone behaves. there may be some QoS settings conflicting, if you have IPs assigned, maybe release these. turn off other bands on your router and just use 2.4. you may also try a release and renew on your WAN side IP and see if this helps.

Upvote 0
This is an old issue that I have not had time to work on, but I have recently discovered more on. Recently, I was at my Father-In-Law's house in Germany, and Wifi Calling was never an option on his hardware. On our system, it is sometimes, and on a Hotel Wifi System in Iceland, it wad 100%, so now I assume that it is a Wifi issue on our home system, as well as my Father-InLaw's system. Hopefully, it is just a Wifi router setting. Now to find which it might be...

Danny

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
Maybe a problem with your WiFi router? Have you tried rebooting it?

It has been rebooted often.

Danny

Did you try the 2.4 Ghz?

Ni,
We have not, because we have our laptops on 2.4, which don't connect with 5 ghz.

Might be getting more consistent wifi now that Asus tech. had me change a channel, but I will have to monitor it.

Danny

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones