• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [KERNEL][JB4.3] S-Kernel [V1.3] [10/26]

That's not really what I meant azoller, the build.prop values it's looking to assert are on the recovery's ramdisk.

You could try pulling the /tmp/recovery.log via adb while in twrp after getting the error and posting that up, might be better to post in the TWRP thread with a link back here or something though to avoid derailing this thread for a TWRP specific problem.

Upvote 0
That's not really what I meant azoller, the build.prop values it's looking to assert are on the recovery's ramdisk.

You could try pulling the /tmp/recovery.log via adb while in twrp after getting the error and posting that up, might be better to post in the TWRP thread with a link back here or something though to avoid derailing this thread for a TWRP specific problem.

Gotcha, my bad wasn't quite sure what the error was exactly

Reactions: Yoinx
Upvote 0
Editing build.prop did not solved "failed" message when trying to flash. I like TWRP 2.6.3.0 and won't go backward just to try new kernel

Alright, so I went ahead and did a little thinking on this. Right now I'm not running any sort of custom kernels on CM... So I won't actually be trying to flash this until this weekend.

...However...

@Azoller:

I'm looking at the updater-script in your kernel package.... wth is going on in here?

It looks like you just kept the same one from the rom install zip. This is FULL of errors for what you have in your zip. Pretty much the only line that shouldn't throw an error is

Code:
package_extract_file("boot.img", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p8");

Also, you've included a folder for /system/etc/init.d however, the folder itself is blank. That won't really do anything, especially without some form of a modification to the ramdisk (maybe it is in the boot.img) to run sysinit, as well as a modified sysinit to run the busybox run-parts command. Which, is actually a pretty unreliable way of adding init.d support, but it's the easiest and most commonly used one.

If you're providing a custom kernel, it's a good idea to also include the newly built drivers (in case anything changed there) which would be /system/lib/modules I believe, off the top of my head. Not really a necessity, but not bad to have.

For what you're doing here though, your update-script doesn't need to be anything more than: (and this is assuming you want to be nice and make sure that you're installing it on a spec)

Code:
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "vs920" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "vs920");
package_extract_file("boot.img", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p8");

With whatever friendly printouts you want to include.

I apologize if any of this is overly critical, but if the recovery doesn't want to be nice, most of the rest of that will just through errors. Especially the parts calling files/paths/etc that don't exist.

Reactions: azoller1
Upvote 0
No I could use all the help I need, and I had the init.d folder just to get a folder there if you had any init.d scripts but I probably should add full init.d support, and I don't remember using the whole updater-script from the ROM, all I had was extracting the boot.IMG file, is that what you meant? I might be reading it wrong...

Upvote 0
Alright, so... I finally got around to installing this.

I changed your zip, so that it doesnt error... Though, I'm glad it errored where it did since it formats /system a few lines below that.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1659941/s-kernel-4.3-v1.0.zip

I gotta say though... I don't care much for the yellow... And it just kept crashing the phone process as soon as it booted.

Either way, that zip will install on TWRP

Upvote 0
No worries, Like I said, the one I posted there has an updater-script that will only do what you need it to do for your zip. Just change out the boot.img in that zip and you're good.

Just an FYI, this is the pertinent part of recovery.log for why yours was failing:

Code:
Installing '/sdcard/s-kernel-4.3-v1.0.zip'...
Checking for MD5 file...
I:Cannot find file /sdcard/s-kernel-4.3-v1.0.zip.md5
Skipping MD5 check: no MD5 file found.
I:Zip does not contain SELinux file_contexts file in its root.
package_extract_file: no system/bin/backuptool.sh in package
package_extract_file: no system/bin/backuptool.functions in package
set_perm: chown of /tmp/backuptool.sh to 0 0 failed: No such file or directory
set_perm: chmod of /tmp/backuptool.sh to 777 failed: No such file or directory
script aborted: set_perm: some changes failed
set_perm: some changes failed
E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/s-kernel-4.3-v1.0.zip'
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/s-kernel-4.3-v1.0.zip'

You'll note the work on the non-existent files that couldn't happen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones