• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lg g2 as an option for next phone?

alackman

Android Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2010
london
Hi, I'm considering getting a new phone. Currently have nexus 4, was under whelmed by the nexus 5 so i stuck with a sim only deal. Starting to get itchy about a new phone especially as the nexus 4s back is cracked. I just wondered if there were any opinions about the lg g2 as an upgrade from n4 or maybe worth waiting for g3 although I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the phone g getting that big. Thoughts?

I never buy a phone with a non-replaceable battery, that's my first thought. My second thought is to never buy a phone without an external SIM card. (If I live long enough I may have to change both of those, but for right now those are my rules for me.)

That would eliminate everything you listed.

external SIM card? You mean SD card? OP is coming from a phone that has neither of those things so he wouldn't miss them much especially with awesome battery life of G2.

Upvote 0
You could always get the Korean LG G2 like me. I thoroughly reccomend it.

As well as everything other G2s come with it comes with 32gbs internal memory and a micro SD card slot up to 64gbs, plus a TWO 2610Mah interchangable batteries and a battery charger/phone stand. Obviously because its from Korea it has Korean apps but they dont affect the phone that much. I've had no issues with the phone (my current one is the F320S, my first one was a F320k and it had a screen problem but that was back in Nov 2013, do not get the F320K) so far.

The main thing you have to consider is whether you need 4g or LTE and whether it works with you carriers network. Fortunately it works here in Australia (downloaded 1gb in less then 30 seconds!). Cant guarantee that it would work in other countries so you have to do a little research, but if it does i believe you get the best version of the LG G2. Shame they only make it available in Korea and other Asian countries, they should really offer it around the world.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221321202605?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I got the phone for about $550 USD off ebay (obviously contract free and unlocked prices, also notice that prices have gone up?!) and considering even the newer phones (S5 and Z2) arent that much better(IMO) and will probably cost $600 to $700 USD off contract the G2 (especially the G2 F320s) is still a very solid option, especially if you need a micro sd card slot and exchangable batteries

FYI the F320 works on these networks

Network
2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
3G: UMTS 2100 MHz
4G: LTE 850 / 1800 MHz

If your willing to wait the LG G3 is around the corner, but if you cant the G2 is still a great option.:D

Upvote 0
I just got my G2 about a week ago and I've been very impressed. I've had several Android devices and this is by far my favorite, although when the Note 2 came out it was impressive as well.

The battery life is awesome, I don't mind the UI, and the buttons on the back has been a pleasant surprise. If you are really itching for something new then I say go for it. I don't see the S5 beating it, and who knows what the G3 will be. I'll only be disappointed with the G2 if the G3 is some crazy amazing device, which I doubt.

Reactions: alackman
Upvote 0
I own both the Nexus 4, personal phone, and the LG G2, my current work phone.

Personally, the screen on the G2 is just a tad to large... honestly, holding the phone in your right hand you cannot comfortably touch the top left area of the screen without shifting your grip or using your other hand, and I have fairly large hands. That is my only complaint about the G2 compared to the N4, other than that the G2 is amazing. I have the Verizon version, all the bloat (around 9GB of it) killed me though, less than 48 hours and I had it running Beanstalk ROM.

If battery life is important, the G2 has stellar performance there, truly amazing... 4-5 hours screen time in a day and still have 50% battery, something my N4 could not do.

If romming is your thing, then the G2 isn't quite as forgiving as the N4... I have both phones rooted and running Beanstalk, the N4 is rock solid smooth, never had a single issue, the G2 has given me 2 SoD and 2 random reboots in the last 3 weeks.

If you have any specific questions about the differences , just ask, I use both on a daily basis... I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Upvote 0
Personally, the screen on the G2 is just a tad to large... honestly, holding the phone in your right hand you cannot comfortably touch the top left area of the screen without shifting your grip or using your other hand, and I have fairly large hands. That is my only complaint about the G2 compared to the N4, other than that the G2 is amazing.

I must admit this it probably one of my main concerns. The nexus 4 feels big enough, Ill have to go in to a shop to actually have a hold of the g2 but I think I've thought myself out of the g3 as this is going to be even bigger right.

Its that age old dilemma, getting a phone that isnt brand new, a month later something else comes out that you wished you'd waited for. I was all set you buy the nexus 5 but then when it arrived, I wanst impressed enough to replace the nexus 4. I dont have time for roms and mods anymore and am happy to slap Apex on and be done with it. I came form htc desire and sensation xe and so have been put off manufacture skins which is why i liked the simplicity of the nexus 4 that didn't actually require me to root just to get rid of stuff.

The battery life appeals although not essential, \i manage to make the nexus last for most days. Maybe ill wait a week and see what the new htc brings and then have a think. I know ill not be able to wait until another nexus (or equivalent comes out)

Upvote 0
I have relatively small hands. I find if I hold the phone across the fingers of my open hand, with my right thumb, I can get to the status bar and pull down the notification shade without difficulty.

A device bigger than this? I don't think that would be workable for me.

There is a setting for "One-handed operation" which may help some people when using the keyboard or dial keypad, or lock keypad...

Upvote 0
I have the Verizon version, all the bloat (around 9GB of it) killed me though, less than 48 hours and I had it running Beanstalk ROM.

I HATE vendor OS bloat.
How hard is it to format the Verizon LG G2 and install a clean cracked image?
Beanstalk ROM? Are there step by step instructions somewhere?
Or do you have to be a programmer / network admin to do that?

Upvote 0
Wait, can you replace the LG G2 battery and SD card?

Battery... Yes

SD card... No

Replacing the battery is pretty simple actually, pry the phone back cover off starting at the SIM slot. It takes patience and some gentle force. There are videos and guides if you search a little.

The SD card is embedded on the mainboard of the phone, and is not replaceable.

EDIT: oops, should have read farther ahead... See the post right above mine.

Upvote 0
I HATE vendor OS bloat.
How hard is it to format the Verizon LG G2 and install a clean cracked image?
Beanstalk ROM? Are there step by step instructions somewhere?
Or do you have to be a programmer / network admin to do that?

If you are on 4.2.2 it is pretty simple to root any G2. KitKat is unrootable at this time (that will likely change soon). Once rooted you use Freegee or Flashify to install TWRP. Then download a compatible ROM for your model (some require a model specific patch) and Gapps. Boot into TWRP, backup, wipe everything except internal storage, and flash ROM, model patch if required, and Gapps, reboot and enjoy.

XDA forums on the G2 have step by step guides.

Also, be careful if you have a vs980 and the latest 12B ota update, some Roms and recoveries are incompatible with its implementation of LOKI security.

Upvote 0
Also, if you can't replace the battery on the G2, this is a MAJOR problem in about a year. I need a phone to last 2 years, at least. What do you guys plan to do?

The LG G2 like the OG uses a Lithium polymer battery so it has more recharge cycles than Lithium ion batteries, you're not going to see any degradation in a year. The battery shouldn't have a problem lasting 2 years...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones