• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lollipop 5.0 [Its out! 11/12]

The rumors are the wifi devices first, then mobile. No one really knows for sure.

Yep typically the WiFi devices (Tablets) will receive the OTA updates first. Then the LTE devices OTA's are rolled out in a very low percentage to be begin with, something like 1% of devices will initially receive the OTA and continue to realese the OTA at 1% to the devices for around the first 24 to 48 hours. Google then monitors the return rates and device checkins and any error reports and then they make sure nothing looks wrong before sending the OTA to a larger % of more devices. At this point the OTA rate increases to about a 25%, 50% and then 100% release over the course of a week, two or possibly slightly longer. So we should begin to start to see the OTA's roll out fairly soon.

Typically the factory images will hit the Google developer's website possibly before you would receive the OTA notification. (All thought this method does require an unlocked bootloader on your N5 and the proper drivers, android SDK or Mini-SDK installed t your PC to be to be able to run fastboot commands and to flash the Factory Image's to the device.
You can monitor the Google Developer's page for the release of the 5.0 Factory image and if you wanted to you could also download any of the other previous build version for the N5 as well from here -https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images or you could just wait for the OTA to hit your N5.

Upvote 0
From all of the videos/reviews of the Nexus 9 on youtube, I can't see any difference between the preview and the build installed on the 9. Probably not any visual changes, just code changes.

I have had great battery life with the preview until yesterday. Not sure which of the many updates may have caused the battery to drain faster, but I hope it is fixed with the final version of 5.0.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
One thing I really wish Google would implement is the ability to change the colors on the text/icons on both the lockscreen and the notification bar. I'm pretty anal about the theme of my entire phone matching and they usually throw it off.

I know there are alternate means of achieving that but they usually have issues/bugs that I'd rather not deal with.

Really wish Lollipop allowed this.

Upvote 0
If anyone is using the Lollipop preview, have you noticed a bug with the colour of certain elements. For example, I can't use Tapatalk with the dark theme because it some menus have dark text on dark background so you can't see anything.

I'm not sure if it's a bug with Lollipop itself or if the app developer has to upgrade it.

Do you have a screenshot of this? I either don't have that issue or simply (more likely) haven't noticed it

Upvote 0
Actually it was white on white, still the same result though lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415221574245.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415221574245.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 0
Off topic slightly, but does Lollipop finally allow percentage next to battery icon? I've seen a few screenshots that have it and many that do not. lol

The functionality for the percentage is built into both KitKat and Lollipop (inside the icon rather than adjacent), but it's initially disabled. You can turn it on with an adb command or using a certain app from Google play to run that command automatically.

Upvote 0
Off topic slightly, but does Lollipop finally allow percentage next to battery icon? I've seen a few screenshots that have it and many that do not. lol

The functionality for the percentage is built into both KitKat and Lollipop (inside the icon rather than adjacent), but it's initially disabled. You can turn it on with an adb command or using a certain app from Google play to run that command automatically.

In addition, it still shows up in the quick settings pull-down, albeit in a different place than it does now :)

Upvote 0
Does anyone know what the deal is with the new gmail app? i got the update, but it doesn't support exchange yet. A cursory internet search showed that my version of exchange services hasn't updated yet to the level it needs to. Does anyone know if this update is going to come to me automatically? I can't find it in the play store to update so I assume it updates much like play services does.

Upvote 0
The latest version is in the app store. However, you will need to manually install the apk from the link to get exchange working in the new Gmail app.

Exchange Services 6.5-1520254 APK Download - APKMirror

Hope this helps.

It does, but can I expect to get the update via a backend OTA (like google play services) at some point? That's what I'm trying to figure out; if I need to flash this to ever have it working or if it'll find its way to me eventually.

Upvote 0
I have a question about OTA updates and root.

I rooted my wife's N5 a while back using towel root (I know, I know I probably shouldn't have done it that way but I wanted an easy way to root without losing her data) for the purposes of using a battery stats app to find out which app was draining her battery.

I left everything stock so I'm curious if when lollipop is pushed out OTA will it go to her phone or will I have to uprade her manually?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones