• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lollipop 5.0 [Its out! 11/12]

Reactions: kate
Upvote 0
Huh? I'm not sure I understand... if carrier bloatware apps are installed via the play store, it allows users to decide what apps they want and uninstall the rest...?

My experience is that when an app is "required" by the carrier, from the play store, it will be re-installed each time you access the play store. It isn't a direct comparison but the HP Print Services Plug-In is a great example of the potential issue.

Upvote 0
Good luck keeping the software from being re-installed the next time you access the play store. I am struggling with that now.

Easy. I disable auto-update in play store and also disable auto-backup of apps. Nothing ever gets downloaded without my say so. It's easier because I'm rooted and backup things to Titanium Backup, but even before I rooted I did this. Your list of previously installed apps is in the Play Store, it really isn't hard to manually restore things.

I'm big on not having things automated and making my own decisions. ;)

Reactions: GuitarG20
Upvote 0
Easy. I disable auto-update in play store and also disable auto-backup of apps. Nothing ever gets downloaded without my say so. It's easier because I'm rooted and backup things to Titanium Backup, but even before I rooted I did this. Your list of previously installed apps is in the Play Store, it really isn't hard to manually restore things.

I'm big on not having things automated and making my own decisions. ;)

I keep telling myself to do what you do but it is so convienent. I did that for a while after an update to an app I use went horribly wrong but after my next wipe/flash I went back to auto-updates. I even, gasp, update over mobile data! :eek:

Upvote 0
Nothing yet. Probably will be after 2PM EST before the image becomes available, if it is actually going to happen today.

It is pretty bad that the Moto G will likely have the update before the Nexus 5/7 devices. According to CNET the battery drain issues were resolved with 5.0 last week. If the update isn't available today, then it proves that google is delaying the release to try and get more sales with the 9.

Upvote 0
Why wouldn't anyone want the 9? I have the 7, but plan to buy the 9 at the end of the year. But who knows, I may like the performance of my 7 with the official build of 5.0 and change my mind before then.

No one knows for sure why they are being quiet about the release, especially if the battery bug has been fixed. I am sure holding out on the release has convinced some 7 owners to just go out and purchase 9. It's definitely there, in the back of our minds somewhere, a voice is saying "go buy it" lol

Upvote 0
Why wouldn't anyone want the 9? I have the 7, but plan to buy the 9 at the end of the year. But who knows, I may like the performance of my 7 with the official build of 5.0 and change my mind before then.

No one knows for sure why they are being quiet about the release, especially if the battery bug has been fixed. I am sure holding out on the release has convinced some 7 owners to just go out and purchase 9. It's definitely there, in the back of our minds somewhere, a voice is saying "go buy it" lol

Wanting the 9 and buying it because 5.0 didn't roll out to the N5, N7, or N10 yet is another story, a story that would never be told. If people are buying a 9 due to the wait they are just lying to themselves and would have purchased it anyway. Either that or they have more money than they know what to do with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones