• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LTEVO ROOTING FOR DUMMIES {The Complete Guide}

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so i just looked on the team unlimited site and they have the hboot 2.09 ruu and it is listed as part of its support now!

so y'all with the new hboots.....now is the time to get your root on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:party::party:

so i forgot to mention that i edited the guide to reflect the new support for hboot 2.09

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
'Unlimited.IO' instructions appear to be for Windows operating system. Is there a way to use it on a MAC?

actually it is for either linux (ubuntu) or windows. not sure on a mac if you can do a live cd or not of ubuntu. if anything you can dual boot ubuntu.

sorry not familiar with a mac.....do you have a pc you can try this on?

Upvote 0
On a somewhat related note...

Hey, EarlyMon, now that flex's ROMs over on XDA are history, I'm thinking of what similar ROM to install after I work on my phone to get S-OFF. Ideally, I admit I'd like a ROM that is close to stock Sense and all.

Ocn already pointed at our recommended thread and I'm all for that.

If you go with Viper4G, follow these instructions - http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte...identally-updated-after-root.html#post5396604

Unfortunately, both of our computers are Apple MACs. Guess I'll have to wait a while longer....

That's for the best.

I decided to s-off my wife's LTEvo last month using Mac hardware and an Ubuntu LiveCD.

Unlimited team said that wasn't supported, but I decided to forge ahead and see what could be done, with an eye on helping in general in that area.

After several hours (most of the day) and some tricks under the hood, I was able to see what they were doing and why, and how to spoof the Mac hardware to work with their tools - I was able to try, brick, unbrick, re-try and succeed.

That said - the info and process aren't something I'd share easily with non-developers, it's not for casual users at all, and I can see the Unlimited team not supporting Mac hardware without a few different Macs to use for developing and testing.

What you can do is grab an Ubuntu LiveCD image, play with it on your Mac to get familiar with the environment, and then when you get access to a Windows box, plug in and go for it.

Upvote 0
I already rooted on the latest Hboot (S-On), how do I achieve S-Off now?

The info in post 1 on DirtyRacun applies, they've updated their tool to accommodate your hboot.

We recommend just going straight to an Ubuntu LiveCD (or USB) as you'll need that in the event of needing to run the unbricker tool.

If you're already on Ubuntu and a brick happens, a few commands later, you're unbricked and s-off. If you try in Windows first and get the brick, you have to stop, get all that ready - a pain in the neck when worried what's up with your phone.

Of my two phones, one bricked (and recovered and s-off'd), the other went straight to s-off - if that's any indication of anything.

Using an Ubuntu LiveCD (or USB) won't modify your PC and it's perfectly safe.

Upvote 0
^ Solid advice, Trust the PearlyMon. ;)

I did mine from an ubuntu live CD on a Windows laptop, bricked and unbricked about 6 times before it took. I didn't realize I had 2 USB 3.0 ports on my laptop. Only thought the one was a 3.0, which caused my first brick. The other 3.0 port caused the second one, LOL. The subsequent bricks were an anomoly I never figured out.

Live CD creation and setup is super easy. Also if you have a hard time with the instructions from Team Unlimited here is a post by EarlyMon that might help:
Not sure how much Linux you know.

After download, you'll want to open a terminal window, and we'll use the tab key to complete some commands.

Get into the downloads area -

cd $HOME/Down<tab-key>

Next, make sure that FeedPanda-RELEASE-Jewel-Linux.tar.gz is there -

ls -lFa

Next, comfirm that you have a good download -

md5sum Feed*gz

Confirm to - 0125966552a70f5b648b17c8949ef338

Next, if that's the only file there, you need to unzip and unarchive it -

tar zxf Feed<tab-key>

Confirm you have a file called FeedPanda -

ls -lFa

Now - go munch some bambo!!!

sudo ./FeedPanda

Make sure to get in that ./ because it means: don't search for it, it's right here.

Hope that helps. :)

These instructions were for LazyPanda, so please don't use these commands exactly. You'll need to substitute the appropriate file names for DirtyRacun. ;)

I used these commands and they worked flawlessly. :D

As always if you need any help, just let us know. :)

Upvote 0
LoL I don't know about that. :p

Here's some info - do we want this in a separate thread?

Back up your external sd card. It may get temporarily or completely hosed.

Must be on a stock-based rom. Follow Unlimited team's instructions.

Make a live whatever of ubuntu, all directions here -

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

You want rev 12.04 LTS, also linked above, 32-bit.

Booting is not fast. Even when it looks to be hanging up, give a few minutes.

The only snag people seem to hit sometimes is getting networking up so give it a test run, and if it causes trouble, it's still fixable. (I understand the newer Windows will shut down the NIC before shutdown and you many have to go into device manager to stop that - again, we have a thread on that, I'm not a Windows guy.) Reasonable to expect that you'll get a driver pop-up and then a lan card icon in your upper right. Tap that to config your wifi drivers if it comes up. At that point, I prefer to tap the empty wifi icon and uncheck wifi, give it half a minute and then repeat to check it back on. That seems to scan more quickly for networks in my case.

If network problems persist, see - http://androidforums.com/computers/646562-ethernet-problems-in-ubuntu-12-04-a.html

You need the two Unlimited tar.gz (tgz) packages for Linux, one for s-off, one to unbrick.

Or, you could just put the Unlimited Dirty Racun links in an gmail to yourself, and then visit your gmail with Firefox to get to those links.

Launching Firefox is easy, it's an icon on the left panel. Choose to save both files. Iconify or quit FF once you have the two files.

Get a terminal via control-alt-T.

Tab key auto-completes on command-line, following commands use it to save typing.

In terminal window, go to your downloads subdir -

cd Downloads

See the two tgz files -

ls -l *tgz

Run this for each one -

tar zxf replace_me_with_file_name.tgz

Follow all Unlimited team's instructions.

To confirm what directory you're in, if you need to -

pwd

To change to a different directory -

cd directory_name

To get a listing of files where you are -

ls -l

To run an app in the directory you are in, put dot-slash in front of the app name, no spaces -

./app_name

If told to sudo a command (app name), such as fastboot -

sudo ./fastboot rest_of_fastboot_command

When done -

REBOOT -

I'm sure there are buttons in Ubuntu for that. Here's what I use in the terminal window -

sudo shutdown -r now

That should get you there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note - this post is free for the moving, kanging, whatever it's taking, to help people out.

Upvote 0
With bricking one's phone appearing to be rather common using this method, it has caused me to rethink whether I wish to attempt this. I must admit that I have been having NO problems whatsoever running one of flex's 2.XX ROMS since November.

If it ain't broke, why must I fix it? :p

Getting s-off, like rooting, may not be for you. Trust your gut, you're under no pressure to do this.

Fwiw, many of us feel that s-on is broken to begin with, that's why we do this. Many don't feel that way, so they don't. :)

Upvote 0
How the heck do you get internet to work in Ubuntu? I'm on a desktop PC using a USB wireless drive.

Are you having trouble with wifi per se? If so, does this help?

The only snag people seem to hit sometimes is getting networking up so give it a test run, and if it causes trouble, it's still fixable. (I understand the newer Windows will shut down the NIC before shutdown and you many have to go into device manager to stop that - again, we have a thread on that, I'm not a Windows guy.) Reasonable to expect that you'll get a driver pop-up and then a lan card icon in your upper right. Tap that to config your wifi drivers if it comes up. At that point, I prefer to tap the empty wifi icon and uncheck wifi, give it half a minute and then repeat to check it back on. That seems to scan more quickly for networks in my case.

If network problems persist, see - ethernet problems in ubuntu 12.04

Or - are you trying to mount that wireless USB drive from Ubuntu?

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones