• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LTEVO ROOTING FOR DUMMIES {The Complete Guide}

Are you having trouble with wifi per se? If so, does this help?

Or - are you trying to mount that wireless USB drive from Ubuntu?
I figured out that the USB wireless drive isn't compatible with Ubuntu. I just now fired up a laptop to try and run Ubuntu and all. I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

Upvote 0
I got all the way up to here:

See the two tgz files -

ls -l *tgz

Run this for each one -

tar zxf replace_me_with_file_name.tgz

Follow all Unlimited team's instructions.
I had no idea what to do with: ls -l *tgz (So I skipped it. Which is probably my problem).

I was able to do the next command. But after this I'm not sure what to do.

anm1hv.jpg

On Unlimited.IO, starting at #4:

Extract/Untar ALL files from the download into a new folder. If using Ubuntu you MUST untar the files to the default directory in Ubuntu, do not unzip in Windows!

(Linux ONLY) cd into the folder where you extracted and run the following cmd:
Note: This cmd returns a blank new line if you have done it correctly.

• chmod 755 RabiesShot adb fastboot
Relock your device (with your phone in fastboot):

• Open cmd from your unzipped DirtyRacun files, type:
  • fastboot oem lock
I consider myself a knowledgeable person with understanding computers, but Linux is another story. O.O

What am I messing up on?

--

EDIT: Maybe I have the wrong files? I downloaded on Unlimited.IO's website "RabiesShot_LINUX.tgz" and "RUU 3.15.651.16 - HBOOT 2.09 (a ZIP file)".

Upvote 0
The ls -l *tgz command is like ubuntu's way of finding / identifying the files. At least this is how my mind understands it. :eek:

Make sure you are typing the correct letters, those are lower case "L"s and there is a space between the "s" and the "-".

If you can't get that to work, try ls -lFa

If it works correctly, the file name will appear in the terminal readout in another color. :)

The tar zxf replace_me_with_file_name.tgz commandwill unzip the files so you can use them.

After you unzip the files, you can try the ls -lFa command again and it'll show the file namwes in the readout, just to be sure they unzipped correctly. :)

Big edit for me:

Make sure when you use the commands EarlyMon posted above, you hit the <TAB-key> key after the bold command, then hit <ENTER-key>

Some of the <TAB-key> that EM had in his post above disappeared via internets voodoo..

Upvote 0
The ls -l *tgz command is like ubuntu's way of finding / identifying the files. At least this is how my mind understands it. :eek:

Make sure you are typing the correct letters, those are lower case "L"s and there is a space between the "s" and the "-".

If you can't get that to work, try ls -lFa

If it works correctly, the file name will appear in the terminal readout in another color. :)

The tar zxf replace_me_with_file_name.tgz commandwill unzip the files so you can use them.

After you unzip the files, you can try the ls -lFa command again and it'll show the file namwes in the readout, just to be sure they unzipped correctly. :)

Big edit for me:

Make sure when you use the commands EarlyMon posted above, you hit the <TAB-key> key after the bold command, then hit <ENTER-key>

Some of the <TAB-key> that EM had in his post above didn't show up properly.

I tried all kinds of combinations and I cannot get passed this step: cd Down<tab-key>

That is all that works. After that anything I input just gives me an error with No Such File or Directory.

73302p.jpg

Upvote 0
I tried all kinds of combinations and I cannot get passed this step: cd Down<tab-key>

That is all that works. After that anything I input just gives me an error with No Such File or Directory.

73302p.jpg

Ok, I see now. My bad. :eek:

To cd to a folder, type: cd Down <TAB-key> <ENTER>

That should place the terminal in your downloads folder.

Then type: ls -l *tgz <TAB-key> <ENTER>

Should list your files in the terminal.

tar zxf replace_me_with_file_name.tgz<TAB-key><ENTER-key>

That should unzip / untar the files.

From there, you can pick up the Unlimited instructions. :)

Upvote 0
Ok, I see now. My bad. :eek:

To cd to a folder, type: cd Down <TAB-key> <ENTER>

That should place the terminal in your downloads folder.

Then type: ls -l *tgz <TAB-key> <ENTER>

Should list your files in the terminal.

tar zxf replace_me_with_file_name.tgz<TAB-key><ENTER-key>

That should unzip / untar the files.

From there, you can pick up the Unlimited instructions. :)
Thank you! That worked.

Step 7 and 8 on Unlimited's instructions state:

Download the RUU for your current HBOOT and put it in your DirtyRacun folder:
This step is REQUIRED even if you are on Stock RUU already!

RUU your device (with your phone in fastboot):*

• fastboot erase cache
    [*]fastboot oem rebootRUU
  • fastboot flash zip RUU.zip
What does this entitle me to do?

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Thank you! That worked. I got all the way to the step on Unlimited where it says

1. But I get an error where it says "fastboot: command not found"

1. OK, you need to grab your phone, and power it down. Do the Volume down and power buttons to get into hboot. Plug your phone in with the cable. Use the volume buttons to highlight fastboot and press the power key. Fastboot will be highlighted in red.

Now try the commands.

EDIT:

Nevermind, you got it!! :D

Upvote 0
Thank you! That worked.

Step 7 and 8 on Unlimited's instructions state:
[/LIST]What does this entitle me to do?

Lol I just edited my post above again.

LOL, no worries. :)

That is actually flashing an RUU (ROM Update Utility)onto your phone, completely bringing the phone to stock in all aspects and super clean, like out of the box clean. This is what Team Unlimited wants for running their exploit. It seems to help limit the Qualcom Download anomoly in their process. :)

I did notice you extracted the RUU in your screenshot above, that file actually needs to remain zipped. ;) No worries tho, because the original .zip file is there, and the commands will recognize that file. :)

Download the RUU that matches your hboot or one that is greater in number. If you're on 2.09, download and flash that one.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I it working, except I'm getting the "remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)" message. The instructions says to flush and keep trying. I'm on my fourth time trying it! Lol.

Hmmm, I actually ran LazyPanda when I achieved S-off, so this is new to me here.

If it refuses to take, you may need to log onto the Unlimited IIRC chanel and chat with one of the developers. I've never heard of an RUU failing that many times.

EDIT:

Try and delete the RUU file, and redownload it again. Worth a shot.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I it working, except I'm getting the "remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)" message. The instructions says to flush and keep trying. I'm on my fourth time trying it! Lol.

yeah i would try a fresh download and run the ruu again like granite has mentioned.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0

so i just saw this:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2097150

run the jb ota firmware command and then run the ruu command mentioned in team unlimited's site.

just an idea.

or i would hit team unlimited via their irc chat.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
What did I miss?

Wait... Way to go, AH, welcome to s-off, the side of truth and justice! :)

PS - think I'll just go back and edit that to cd Downloads. Before, I couldn't be sure of all configurations, but seeing as how my post specifies one in particular, no big deal.

Sorry for the confusion AH, thanks for the save Rocky and ocn!

Upvote 0
What did I miss?

Wait... Way to go, AH, welcome to s-off, the side of truth and justice! :)

PS - think I'll just go back and edit that to cd Downloads. Before, I couldn't be sure of all configurations, but seeing as how my post specifies one in particular, no big deal.

Sorry for the confusion AH, thanks for the save Rocky and ocn!
No problem. That was my first time working with Linux/Ubuntu, so I was running into issues...Plus I didn't quite get some of the wording on what to do for each step (on your guide and on Unlimited.IO's), but no worries! You guys are awesome, thanks for the support/help!

When I was on S-On, I had MeanBean, so I flashed MeanBean again once I achieved S-Off, and I can tell everything runs smoother. Plus a few features were fixed that I had issues with on S-On.

Upvote 0
i have s-off so now what do i do to gain root and be able to use titanium back up and such?

Welcome to S-OFF!!! :)

What you need to do now is load a custom recovery, get the SuperUser App loaded and have the busybox binaries installed.

Easiest way to get all of this is to load a custom recovery and flash a rom:
-Either load it folowing this post:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte...screen-keyboard-2012-12-20-a.html#post4655808
-Or load it with your bootloader now that you're S-OFF ;):
TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.3 - | TeamWin
Go to the Team Win website, and click on the black box in the top right to select your device. type in the evo 4G LTE and it'll direct you to the proper file. Download it and place it on your SD card, not in any folders. Rename the file to PJ75IMG.zip exactly.
Power down and press volume down and power to get the bootloader or hboot screen. Press volume up to update, then reboot.

Once you have a custom recovery download a custom rooted rom and flash it. :)

If any of this is unclear, try and read the Rooting for Dummies Guide, and skip to the after root section:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte...g-dummies-guide-lazypanda-racun-unlocked.html

As always, ask any questions you have along the way. Thats why we're here. :)

Upvote 0
ok so the last few post made me realize that the guide pretty much stops after getting s-off with dirty racun and does not do a great job at pointing members what to do afterwards. so i tweaked it a little and added steps to get recovery and so forth. i also tweaked it so that it now says that dirty racun will work with all hboots.

if you guys think i need to add something in, please feel free to let me know.

HAPPY ROOTING EVERYONE:D:D:D:D:D:D

Upvote 0
To clarify, since I have Android 4.1 and HBoot 2.09 I can use the DirtyRacun method to root right? I'm really anxious to root to increase the speed of this thing. I just upgraded from the OG EVO. I'm shocked that my music never skipped on my OG Evo but it does on this phone. What they heck gives? Okay, that was a sidebar rant. I really just wanted to know about root. Having said that, if you have a solution for my skipping music please share. :)

Cheers!
Doug

Upvote 0
To clarify, since I have Android 4.1 and HBoot 2.09 I can use the DirtyRacun method to root right? I'm really anxious to root to increase the speed of this thing. I just upgraded from the OG EVO. I'm shocked that my music never skipped on my OG Evo but it does on this phone. What they heck gives? Okay, that was a sidebar rant. I really just wanted to know about root. Having said that, if you have a solution for my skipping music please share. :)

Cheers!
Doug

yep team unlimited has now offered support with dirty racun for hboot 2.09.....so go and get your root on:D:D:D:D:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones