• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Metro Just pushed a firmware ans OS update

Sammy, depending on where I was, I would get between 8 and 30 download. It varied depending where I was. 'Course, I'm not getting anything now, since my Motion decided to go for a swim yesterday. I've got it in rice trying to dry it out. Using a Galaxy Tab 2 only on Wi-Fi right now. I'm getting an el-cheapo Evolve since they are only $19 right now, as an interim phone until I can get something else.

Yea i see, with zero bars, i got this, at FAU:
yzegugur.jpg

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
The updates made LTE work faster, like really fast.

But what made it faster, is it a PRL change, or a radio tweak in the firmware, or both? I'm still using the old network with a Huawei Premia, not my Motion :( I would love to get in on the speed y'all are getting now, if by means of changing PRL haha... If its something exclusively in the Motion's firmware update and nothing i can do otherwise, than screw it. I can't roll back to using that thing...

And to satisfy my curiosity Sammy, what PRL do you guys now have with the update? Have to look into it, Premia has always used same PRLs as the SGS3 (2xxx) while my LG devices used different ones (3xxx) for some unknown reason. And I find it strange that the faster data came to Boston, despite being one of the first cities slated for CDMA decommissioning before 2015 :(

EDIT: Disregard sammyz. I saw your post over in MPCS PRL thread.

EDIT 2: (!) Just ran a speed test. Last check a month ago was averaging 6 Mbps as usual, so I guess I'll shut up now ;)

aqyqery4.jpg

Upvote 0
Sammy, depending on where I was, I would get between 8 and 30 download. It varied depending where I was. 'Course, I'm not getting anything now, since my Motion decided to go for a swim yesterday. I've got it in rice trying to dry it out. Using a Galaxy Tab 2 only on Wi-Fi right now. I'm getting an el-cheapo Evolve since they are only $19 right now, as an interim phone until I can get something else.

Thoes feels... I was able to buy a droid 3 for pretty cheap, needed to unlock it fastboot flash radio radio.img all in all it took about a half hour, my main issue any custom cm camera didn't work and locked bootloader.

It's alive! We didn't have any rice, but my sister-in-law said that chia seeds would absorb water also. This evening I took it out of the bag and dusted off seeds. I put the battery in and turned on. Touch works again! I'll see if the phone continues to work. Here's hoping it does.

Upvote 0
But what made it faster, is it a PRL change, or a radio tweak in the firmware, or both? I'm still using the old network with a Huawei Premia, not my Motion :( I would love to get in on the speed y'all are getting now, if by means of changing PRL haha... If its something exclusively in the Motion's firmware update and nothing i can do otherwise, than screw it. I can't roll back to using that thing...

And to satisfy my curiosity Sammy, what PRL do you guys now have with the update? Have to look into it, Premia has always used same PRLs as the SGS3 (2xxx) while my LG devices used different ones (3xxx) for some unknown reason. And I find it strange that the faster data came to Boston, despite being one of the first cities slated for CDMA decommissioning before 2015 :(

EDIT: Disregard sammyz. I saw your post over in MPCS PRL thread.

EDIT 2: (!) Just ran a speed test. Last check a month ago was averaging 6 Mbps as usual, so I guess I'll shut up now ;)

aqyqery4.jpg

This entire thread was about firmware G, a new update. That's what made it fast, it has nothing to do with the PRL. I asked them what their PRL was, my speeds had nothing to do with the PRL. Got same results before and after updating my PRL.

Upvote 0
It's alive! We didn't have any rice, but my sister-in-law said that chia seeds would absorb water also. This evening I took it out of the bag and dusted off seeds. I put the battery in and turned on. Touch works again! I'll see if the phone continues to work. Here's hoping it does.

Step two overheat the girls watch Netflix while hotpot is on

Upvote 0
I have Metro PCS and I just checked my speeds on the 4G. It more than doubled. Now 20 down and 14up. A huge improvement. So whatever they did, it's good. Seems more like T-Mobile speeds now. I am liking my little LG more and more. I am upset that I will have to throw my phone in the trash when Metro switches to T-Mobile GSM by the end of the year. None of the newer phones they have are as small. I like small, fits into my pocket easy.

Upvote 0
I replaced my Motion with an F3 about 8 months ago. IMO the size difference is pretty insignificant and I am able to carry it in the same belt holster (a Blackberry holster actually) that I used for the Motion, the M+, and the M.
These days my Motion lives a life of semi-retirement as a streaming music player, so with regard to the original topic of this thread I don't think there is any point in doing the update on it.

Upvote 0
I replaced my Motion with an F3 about 8 months ago. IMO the size difference is pretty insignificant and I am able to carry it in the same belt holster (a Blackberry holster actually) that I used for the Motion, the M+, and the M.
These days my Motion lives a life of semi-retirement as a streaming music player, so with regard to the original topic of this thread I don't think there is any point in doing the update on it.

Physical properties of a phone has nothing to do with why we should/n't update. We have seen performance boosts and network boosts, no one has said anything about battery yet though. I actually have tried the update, my dad got the update, and me and him both agree our phones are much faster afterwards. He also says his battery lasts longer now.

I didn't really get to test battery life before and after because I broke my LCD after a day of using it. It's not physically broken, I was just trying something and I might have blown a fuse.

Upvote 0
What do you mean throw your phone in the trash when Metro Switches to T-Mobil. When will this happen and will all Metro Customures that purchased a phone thru Metro Have to get a new phone with T-Mobil and get on a new contract?

I have Metro PCS and I just checked my speeds on the 4G. It more than doubled. Now 20 down and 14up. A huge improvement. So whatever they did, it's good. Seems more like T-Mobile speeds now. I am liking my little LG more and more. I am upset that I will have to throw my phone in the trash when Metro switches to T-Mobile GSM by the end of the year. None of the newer phones they have are as small. I like small, fits into my pocket easy.

Upvote 0
What do you mean throw your phone in the trash when Metro Switches to T-Mobil. When will this happen and will all Metro Customures that purchased a phone thru Metro Have to get a new phone with T-Mobil and get on a new contract?

Sometime this or next year, MetroPCS will turn off their CDMA network. All MetroPCS CDMA phones will not work. 4G LTE will still work on all 4G LTE phones though.

Upvote 0

No, you won't have to get a T-Mobile phone and get on a contract. You'll just have to get one of Metro's new GSM phones, or buy an unlocked phone (such as a Nexus device).

Sometime this or next year, MetroPCS will turn off their CDMA network. All MetroPCS CDMA phones will not work. 4G LTE will still work on all 4G LTE phones though.

+1 What Sammy is saying here, is that the LTE (like the Motion) will still work get you data, but won't able make phone any calls or get data on 3G (EV).

Reactions: sammyz
Upvote 0
I guess Ill enjoy my LG Motion and promotional monthly plan until that change happens. Then Ill have to get a new phone and that will void my promotional monthly rate!

No, you won't have to get a T-Mobile phone and get on a contract. You'll just have to get one of Metro's new GSM phones, or buy an unlocked phone (such as a Nexus device).

+1 What Sammy is saying here, is that the LTE (like the Motion) will still work get you data, but won't able make phone any calls or get data on 3G (EV).

Upvote 0
Well the Motion is suppose to be a 4GLTE phone

The Motion is LTE. You're missing the whole point of Sammy's post; the LTE will still work, but voice will not work any more (after Metro shuts off CDMA).

I guess Ill enjoy my LG Motion and promotional monthly plan until that change happens. Then Ill have to get a new phone and that will void my promotional monthly rate!

That is correct, you'll have to go one of the current Metro plans; $40, $50, or $60.

Reactions: Rodman
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones