• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Metro Just pushed a firmware ans OS update

The Motion is LTE. You're missing the whole point of Sammy's post; the LTE will still work, but voice will not work any more (after Metro shuts off CDMA).

Hahah..what's the point of a PHONE when voice does not work. As I said, it's going in the garbage (sadly). However, I assure you that Metro will be subsidizing my purchase of a new phone. You don't purchase a phone not to be able to use it after a couple of years. Sure it's not a 800$ Galaxy but it's the principal of it.

Anyway, the time frame will be much longer IMO. Metro has millions of subscribers that have CDMA phones. My guess at the earliest by end of 2015. The bigger problem will now be as the towers get issues, the will not want to spend the money to service them to optimal performance knowing that they will be out of service soon. I expect the voice service to slowly deteriorate over time instead of just being turned off. We shall see.

Upvote 0
Wow.....they are just such an honest company. I am going to make sure I save a copy of this.

"8. I heard that MetroPCS and T-Mobile operate different kinds of networks. Do I need to get a new phone?

No. You can continue to enjoy MetroPCS service with your current phone, and we will maintain our mobile networks to give you the best experience possible.
MetroPCS stands behind our products and services, and this combination with T-Mobile does not interrupt our ability to provide you with wireless services.
Should you decide to upgrade your phone in the future, there will be many more exciting choices, all with cutting-edge technology and access to a nationwide 4G network."

Upvote 0
We have seen performance boosts and network boosts, no one has said anything about battery yet though.
The battery is definitely lasting longer since the update. Overnight battery use is now 5-8%. As compared to over the last few months it had gotten to be 15-20%. That's just sitting overnight with Wifi on, BT and 4G off. Also the random and unexplained discharging has stopped occurring.

Reactions: sammyz
Upvote 0
The free phones are the junkiest of all and not 4G LTE. And the newer LG phones don't have 5GB memory like the Motion.

Doesn't stop them from buying them my guess only about may 2 to 2.5 at most are like still cdma, last time I rode the bus (04/07/2014) everyone had s3 minis (exhibit) and f3s, at my work 520 lumina and Huawei junk box and Alcatels. But In September, lg motions every where with a few esteems and dumbphones

Upvote 0
I never said they were good phones. I was only saying that metro is giving free phones for anyone who hasn't switched yet.

Which isn't hurting their rep at all due to most of them being past ics giving people who were on gingerbread a super smooth ux and people coming from the motion tend to move up, or get upset over the not so hot offering storage wise, if people are savvy they could have att phones used and unlocked for Metro working great

Upvote 0
Which isn't hurting their rep at all due to most of them being past ics giving people who were on gingerbread a super smooth ux and people coming from the motion tend to move up, or get upset over the not so hot offering storage wise, if people are savvy they could have att phones used and unlocked for Metro working great

Every metro store I've seen has BYOD from AT&T advertising now. Most metro reps actually know about which phones have good storage or not. That's the one thing they do know. I've over heard tons of reps saying this phone doesn't have that much storage, sure you still want it? etc. I'm sure that if a metro rep can persuade someone to buy a phone instead of getting a free phone, they get some kind of bonus. There's a reason the free phone's are crap ;) a big marketing scheme.

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
I never said they were good phones. I was only saying that metro is giving free phones for anyone who hasn't switched yet.

That's true. Either way, I am disappointed. Why could they not put more memory in the F3?, it's a little larger phone so why not? I hope by the time my Motion is useless they will have one that I like.

A little off topic, but have you noticed how much the beloved Ookla speed test uses up your band with?. It's an insane amount per test. It seems a bit odd. For those of us who have limited high speed it's very annoying. Also I don't like them much anymore since once I did a test on my laptop and their site tried to download a virus (confirmed by my Antivirus software).

Upvote 0
That's true. Either way, I am disappointed. Why could they not put more memory in the F3?, it's a little larger phone so why not? I hope by the time my Motion is useless they will have one that I like.

A little off topic, but have you noticed how much the beloved Ookla speed test uses up your band with?. It's an insane amount per test. It seems a bit odd. For those of us who have limited high speed it's very annoying. Also I don't like them much anymore since once I did a test on my laptop and their site tried to download a virus (confirmed by my Antivirus software).

Maybe GSM radios are bigger and the space that would have been put for more storage is being used for that bigger radio. I'm just guessing here, I have no clue. I'm pretty sure size of the phone doesn't matter since a 2GB microSD card and a 64GB microSD are exactly the same size physically.

Upvote 0
Have you not seen metro giving away phones? but with mail in rebates.

Isn't that a "true, but.."

True they have been giving away the phones, but most of the promotions say the $50 rebate only goes to people who port their phone number, i.e. not CDMA upgrades.

When we start seeing promotions, "trade in your CDMA phone for a $50 rebate" id think its closer to the last months of the cdma network.

Upvote 0
When Sprint took over Nextel, sprint wanted to get rid of all the Nextel 2G phones and technology. It was never simply turned off, it slowly started to fail as the towers had issues they weren't being fixed. I know, I went through it with a 2G phone. Even today, the towers are still up and plugged in you can pick up a signal in some places although poor service would be an understatement.

The transition to get rid of the CDMA phones will be a lot longer than you think.

Upvote 0
When Sprint took over Nextel, sprint wanted to get rid of all the Nextel 2G phones and technology. It was never simply turned off, it slowly started to fail as the towers had issues they weren't being fixed. I know, I went through it with a 2G phone. Even today, the towers are still up and plugged in you can pick up a signal in some places although poor service would be an understatement.

The transition to get rid of the CDMA phones will be a lot longer than you think.

Only that it's moving faster than we thought, already spectrum has merged in many areas and people are just buying phones when they get on sale, there are plans to roam on sprint network for stragglers but for all reasons it's moving faster than anticipated.. I personally was expecting first shut down summer 2015 not 4th quarter like they are projecting, and as for sprint I have one of those aging towers nearby and it is rusted. Sprint really needs to pick up its own slack.. No reason to have all that spectrum and not use it.

Upvote 0
Hey Sammy and all. (Been a while)

My Motion has served me well. About a year and a half now. I too got the OTA update and was holding off to do the update to the latest release. I had been looking at newer phones for sometime and wished they would refresh the Motion.

I think the closest will be the new LG Optimus L70 running 4.4 Kit-Kat that I have seen a few people here have gotten.

I'm a bit disappointed in the space provided in internal storage. I will be putting an additional Micro card in. (A 64GB if it accepts cards that large, if not a 32GB will have to do.)

I'm also dismayed that it is not 4G/LTE and only 4G.

The Motion had a 3.5" screen 320X480 Pixels where as the LG Optimus L70 has a 4.5" and I'm assuming a better Pixel count. So, ok a better screen.

Speedwise, I think they are about the same. (Someone correct me if I'm comparing the specs wrong between these two phones.)

Storage wise, the Motion was the best little phone in its class. Out of 5.59GB I have 552MB free and I'm maxed out there. Will I be able to manage with the LG Optimus L70??? I currently store all my music and pictures on the 32GB external card and will be doing the same with whatever phone I get, But I won't be able to install all the apps I have on the Motion on the LG Optimus L70.

Questions:

Will I see a big difference moving to a 4G only phone speed wise??
Is there going to be enough room on the Internal card for my apps?? Even if I scale back... Has anyone had serious storage issues with this phone yet? Are you that limited??
Are there any other "gotchas" I need to be aware of?

The reason I'm now more ready to move to a new phone is that I'm in the Boston Metro region that is being phased out first by Metro! (By sometime in June this year.) From what I've read the old phones will just stop making and taking calls after that. Sure, I'll have a Wi-Fi capable device that I can use for Words with Friends but that's about all it will be good for. (That and Email.)

So I guess I'm ready to move from the true and tested Motion to the LG Optimus L70 or some OTHER phone that you all will hopefully chime in one way or the other about.

Thanks again to everyone here for all their input! :)

Please comment!! I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say.

-Sipdude

Every metro store I've seen has BYOD from AT&T advertising now. Most metro reps actually know about which phones have good storage or not. That's the one thing they do know. I've over heard tons of reps saying this phone doesn't have that much storage, sure you still want it? etc. I'm sure that if a metro rep can persuade someone to buy a phone instead of getting a free phone, they get some kind of bonus. There's a reason the free phone's are crap ;) a big marketing scheme.

Reactions: TJayDroid
Upvote 0
Hey Sammy and all. (Been a while)

My Motion has served me well. About a year and a half now. I too got the OTA update and was holding off to do the update to the latest release. I had been looking at newer phones for sometime and wished they would refresh the Motion.

I think the closest will be the new LG Optimus L70 running 4.4 Kit-Kat that I have seen a few people here have gotten.

I'm a bit disappointed in the space provided in internal storage. I will be putting an additional Micro card in. (A 64GB if it accepts cards that large, if not a 32GB will have to do.)

I'm also dismayed that it is not 4G/LTE and only 4G.

The Motion had a 3.5" screen 320X480 Pixels where as the LG Optimus L70 has a 4.5" and I'm assuming a better Pixel count. So, ok a better screen.

Speedwise, I think they are about the same. (Someone correct me if I'm comparing the specs wrong between these two phones.)

Storage wise, the Motion was the best little phone in its class. Out of 5.59GB I have 552MB free and I'm maxed out there. Will I be able to manage with the LG Optimus L70??? I currently store all my music and pictures on the 32GB external card and will be doing the same with whatever phone I get, But I won't be able to install all the apps I have on the Motion on the LG Optimus L70.

Questions:

Will I see a big difference moving to a 4G only phone speed wise??
Is there going to be enough room on the Internal card for my apps?? Even if I scale back... Has anyone had serious storage issues with this phone yet? Are you that limited??
Are there any other "gotchas" I need to be aware of?

The reason I'm now more ready to move to a new phone is that I'm in the Boston Metro region that is being phased out first by Metro! (By sometime in June this year.) From what I've read the old phones will just stop making and taking calls after that. Sure, I'll have a Wi-Fi capable device that I can use for Words with Friends but that's about all it will be good for. (That and Email.)

So I guess I'm ready to move from the true and tested Motion to the LG Optimus L70 or some OTHER phone that you all will hopefully chime in one way or the other about.

Thanks again to everyone here for all their input! :)

Please comment!! I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say.

-Sipdude

The closest thing to storage to the motion is the l90 you can get from best buy

Upvote 0
Hmm. Best Buy has the L90 for $179.99 with T-Mobile Activation. If I already have a Metro Sim card in my existing working Motion I currently use, can't I just take it out and put it into the L90 and boot up the phone and activate it that way?

-Sipdude

No, the "SIM" card in the Motion isn't a GSM SIM card. I forget what it's called but it's for the CDMA Motion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones