• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jo69

Android Enthusiast
May 29, 2013
Yesterday a new option appeared on my phone when I was trying to send files
It was rows of microsoft details.
They were never there before Iand I haven't added or changed anything
Can you help as I don't expect to use them?

Attachments

• microsoft.jpg
    microsoft.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 92
Have you had a system update?

Samsung typically do bundle a number of Microsoft apps, so it wouldn't be surprising if they were previously installed (and something made them more visible) or added by a system update. That's why I asked the question above.

It's not the only possibility. It could also be that a pre-installed MS app gained the ability to handle whatever document you were trying to open - that would then result in it appearing in this dialogue for the first time (those options all look like different actions from the same app to me). If you allow apps to update without asking you (the default) this could also happen without your knowledge.

I can't see exactly what MS app that is, but if you don't want it at all then see whether you can uninstall it (if Samsung or your service provider installed it you may not be able to, in which case try disabling).

"Something malware installed a Microsoft app on my phone" is actually the least likely explanation, so I'd not worry about that unless you can eliminate all other possibilities and other apps start appearing.

Upvote 0
Yes have had an update
Don't usually allow apps to install that I don't know.
Hadn't noticed them until I saw the images.
Looked in apps and it's office 365 and one drive
I have never used One Drive. So don't need it.
365 I don't know but I've done without it all this time.
Could I try and install them both?
Or will it cause problems on my phone.
I would only need to open word documents.

Upvote 0
If you can Uninstall the Microsoft 365 app than do so and install just the MS Word app:

But if you can't Uninstall it, than it's a preinstalled app that is already an integral part of the firmware that Samsung added. In this case, you should leave the Microsoft 365 app alone, it's Microsoft's catch-all app for different MS apps. Or if you can at least Disable it, than do that and then install the MS Word app.

Upvote 0
Samsung's inclusion of MS Apps also goes deep into the firmware, even to the point that the Samsung My Files app has OneDrive integration, with it showing up as a folder with 1TB of storage for 365 users. It often displays that next to the internal and SD storage areas, each with respective storage showing as available/used. Disabling them could cause things to break.

The icon in the OP's screenshot is the icon for the Microsoft 365 app.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Has it jut happened to you all then? Only appeared the past week or so?
So many icons to scroll past now
Will try and disable 365
Can I try and uninstall One Drive as really will never use it?
does not hurt to try ......the question is will your phone let you or not. if it is part of your system os, then the uninstall option should be grayed out.

Reactions: Dannydet and jo69
Upvote 0
On my s21 you can disable OneDrive. If there are any undesirable consequences you can always enable it again, but if you never use it it should make no difference to you.

Worst that could happen is if "my files" has OneDrive integration it might crash if you touch the wrong button in it (I doubt it's something you can do by accident though). But in the unlikely event that does cause problems it's not as if there aren't many better file managers available.

Upvote 0
I have it on my s21 and it has an "uninstall" button, so I'm not stuck with it. If you have the same option then you aren't either. As @svim said above, there is still a standalone Word app if you just want to read a few Word files.

For what it's worth, I think this is the app that Microsoft used to call "Office", but which has changed its name and icon in an update a few months ago. So if you used to have "Office" this might explain how this could appear without you realising.

Reactions: Dannydet and jo69
Upvote 0
Actually I've known Samsung pre-install some very inessential stuff (3rd party apps you'd normally install from the Play Store if you wanted them) and not only prevent uninstallation but even prevent disabling - which they are supposed to only do for stuff that's actually essential (but also do for some of their own apps which absolutely are not). I suspect it was a matter of whether someone is willing to pay for that special treatment.

But no, 365 is not essential.

Upvote 0
I have the Word app on my phone, and it works without a sign-in.

However Microsoft will pop up messages when you launch it telling to sign in, or offering a free trial of a 365 account, or stuff like that. They want people to take out 365 accounts, and aren't afraid of giving people the impression that signing up/in is needed to use the app. But have you tried closing/skipping that stuff? I do, and the app works fine without it.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Mine said that this morning. I ignored it and dismissed the pop-up (can't remember how, it was done so quickly) and it still worked.

Looking at the app it does seem to have an account, but the only information in the profile is my GMail address. It's not a paid 365 account because I have never set one up (I have access to a business one if I want it, but I've never signed into it from my phone). I think it might be the same one as my Skype account.

The "30 day free trial" is for a "premium" (paid) account of some sort. So maybe see whether you can skip the sign-up, and if not look for a sign-up option that isn't the free trial? They may be like Amazon, who make you search harder and harder to spot the way of buying stuff without signing up for Prime, but the option to add a non-premium account should still be there somewhere because it's what I have.

Reactions: jo69
Upvote 0
The possible reason why your phone just now got the Microsoft apps is likely a delayed system update. For a long time, Samsung has never been known to be quick with updates to certain models of their phones (and they got tons to keep up with). But more likely, the apps were always there, but the share options got updated via a change to the system OS, likely through an OTA (over-the-air) Android version update or a security patch--which will often do more than patch security--oftentimes a security patch can also update third-party apps, and change some backend stuff where you notice it right after. Being as observant as I am, I will notice even the most insignificant change and it can annoy me so I always try to disable any and all system updates, app updates, and disable all app stores (I don't need them) and side load everything. I am of the type who prefers his phone exactly the way it was at purchase. I don't do change very well.

But the inclusion of MS apps dates back to Android 8.0 and OneUI 2.x, basically the Samsung Galaxy S7 and later.

Upvote 0
Mine said that this morning. I ignored it and dismissed the pop-up (can't remember how, it was done so quickly) and it still worked.

Looking at the app it does seem to have an account, but the only information in the profile is my GMail address. It's not a paid 365 account because I have never set one up (I have access to a business one if I want it, but I've never signed into it from my phone). I think it might be the same one as my Skype account.

The "30 day free trial" is for a "premium" (paid) account of some sort. So maybe see whether you can skip the sign-up, and if not look for a sign-up option that isn't the free trial? They may be like Amazon, who make you search harder and harder to spot the way of buying stuff without signing up for Prime, but the option to add a non-premium account should still be there somewhere because it's what I have.
Maybe I'm trying to download the wrong App as can't seem to see another though.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Microsoft Word, with icon matching the app on the computer, as linked above.

I've done a bit of looking just now, i.e. I tried to add another account to it. It took me to a microsoft account page, but that's not the same as a paid 365 account. You can just tap the "create one" button and make a free account.

As a further test I just signed out, and could still use the app to read (but not edit) documents. And for good measure I force stopped it, then opened it again and it didn't even give me the pop-up (or ask me to sign in). So maybe just try a couple of times, and if it really won't play ball you should still be able to create a free account and use it that way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones