• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving to the US - New high-end Android phone

Archer2338

Lurker
Aug 25, 2010
Hey, first post here; looks like this is the place to ask my question and get some help!

So I'm moving to the US (Connecticut, somewhat rural area) from Korea, so I'll be basically starting out fresh with no family plan to attach to, no phone to port over to another carrier, etc.

I was looking at a high-end android phone, and seems all four carriers have them. Sprint has the Evo and the Epic 4G, but the 4G capability will probably go to waste in my area (I doubt it has 4G coverage), and I assume it adds additional costs.

I'll be making a lot of international calls/texts, probably with a phone card. I'd be using wireless for most of the time, but 3G coverage would be nice, and some clarification on what counts towards the data limit or not for a carrier would be nice...

Any phone+carrier combinations you guys recommend? High-end androids in particular. I'm looking at the Galaxy S line (Vibrant, Captivate, Epic 4G, Fascinate), but any other high ends would suffice as well (I'd like a nice big screen, but not needed). I'll be keeping this for a long time, so I need a phone that can last at least 3-4 years. Constant updates for the phone are nice (so...no motorola?), as I'd like to stay updated through the years.

And no monthly $99 for two years and just paying instantly for the whole phone, then getting any plan would be awesome, but eh, if I can't go with paying for the phone outright, then yeah, I have to go the 2 year contract way I guess.

Any insights into this matter? Haven't been to the US for a long time, so I'm out of touch with which carrier has the cheapest plans, etc.

Well in my opinion you can't go wrong with Verizon. I'm sporting the Incredible myself and i absolutely LOVE it!! Big 3.7" amoled screen is beautiful (though not as big as the Droid X or Evo) And Htc Sense in superior to moto or anything else. My advice is to go with the Evo or Incredible. All depends on who gets better service IN YOUR area. You never know who that will be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones