• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My unimpressed days with the Incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update here.
Since Verizon was out of the 8GB memory cards they were gonna hook me up with, I've been using this little 1GB one I had laying around just to screw around with.
I yanked it out, just to rule out some odd corrupt card errors possibly being the culprit.
I then went into settings and formatted the phone's memory. Then I rebooted to flush out anything possibly left floating around in the system's memory / RAM.
I then went back into privacy and did a factory restore (yet again) and went back through the activation process. I now have the phone running completely stock (yet again) and haven't had any errors yet. Of course I've only been up and running for a couple of hours but I've done a lot of core tasks during that time. So not seeing an error yet is a positive thing since typically I would have seen some hiccup by now.
Anyway, could all be a fluke, before or now, but so far so good.
Will update again either way. Wishing myself luck at this point. :)

Upvote 0
I now have the phone running completely stock (yet again) and haven't had any errors yet

See I told ya - a lot of the time you may have a bad phone that needs re-worked or it was likely user error if you downloaded something like ATK or other apps that you downloaded or bad cards you used.

Luckily you knew how to do this yourself and didn't have to return it.

If it happens again, return it.

Upvote 0
See I told ya - a lot of the time you may have a bad phone that needs re-worked or it was likely user error if you downloaded something like ATK or other apps that you downloaded or bad cards you used.

Luckily you knew how to do this yourself and didn't have to return it.

If it happens again, return it.
Well the three or so previous restorations still having issues is what was steering me toward a bad phone. Like I was saying it went tits up in under an hour of owning it by just changing the background haha.
Hopefully this will do it. I SOOOOOO want to love this damn thing.

Upvote 0
I SOOOOOO want to love this damn thing.

I really don't understand this.

You've said this before. This statement means that you DON'T, and as your OP stated ... you're looking for a reason. Why? It seems that you already have a phone that you adore - so why change? Because of the "wow - look, I've got the newest thing!" factor? That's a poor reason to switch from what you enjoy.

And, how many positive points will it take for you to "love" the phone? 1? 5? 50? I mean it just seems, to me anyway, that you're not looking for a reason to love this PHONE but rather a reason to love the NEWEST TOY.

I hope you get it straightened out ( and I see that you're tried a reset which seems to be working ... ), but I stand by what I said before: If you're looking for a reason to keep this phone, then you probably shouldn't.

Upvote 0
I hope you get it straightened out ( and I see that you're tried a reset which seems to be working ... ), but I stand by what I said before: If you're looking for a reason to keep this phone, then you probably shouldn't.

I don't see why someone who is exploring new options for a phone platform can't explore them without your criticism? He wants to love the phone... but, as of this point it has had complications making the Droid Incredible sub-par to his previous phone. Yet, he sees the potential and continues to work to reach a satisfying conclusion.

Why do you, and/or people like you, feel you need to criticize people who have issues with this phone? Ignore it? Move on? So the rest of us who search (and have similar issues) can acquire something useful from these threads without wading through the groves of nonsense that you guys post (over and over).

Upvote 0
I really don't understand this.

You've said this before. This statement means that you DON'T, and as your OP stated ... you're looking for a reason. Why? It seems that you already have a phone that you adore - so why change? Because of the "wow - look, I've got the newest thing!" factor? That's a poor reason to switch from what you enjoy.

And, how many positive points will it take for you to "love" the phone? 1? 5? 50? I mean it just seems, to me anyway, that you're not looking for a reason to love this PHONE but rather a reason to love the NEWEST TOY.

I was looking for some encouraging words from happy owners at the time of post. As far as being happy with my other phone, you can see toward the bottom of my OP that I have LOTS of issues with it.
I know all the reasons why I want to love this phone, and now (for now) with the crashes out of the way, I'm being able to enjoy the things that made me buy it to begin with: Camera, dual flash, storage, speed, turn by turn navigation, open source, style, beauty, speed, speed, speed! Finally getting to enjoy those things :)

Upvote 0
I know all the reasons why I want to love this phone, and now (for now) with the crashes out of the way, I'm being able to enjoy the things that made me buy it to begin with: Camera, dual flash, storage, speed, turn by turn navigation, open source, style, beauty, speed, speed, speed! Finally getting to enjoy those things :)

Good. Glad to see things have cleared up. I take it you'll be keeping the DI then?

Upvote 0
Good. Glad to see things have cleared up. I take it you'll be keeping the DI then?
I still have plenty of time left to keep using it. So long as the crashes are gone, I'll definitely be keeping it. I can endure the minor things that come with eventual firmware and app releases. If I could wait for my iPhone to have MMS messaging, I can definitely wait for the DI to have a "stop showing my facebook peeps in the dialer" option :) hahaha

Upvote 0
I have not seen a single one of your complaints happen to my phone. I haven't had one FC since I got it in fact...wouldn't say I'm a heavy user, more moderate, but I'm loving this phone. May be due to the fact that I have a Task Killer, therefore I hardly ever have more than 10 apps running at the same time, I don't know. Seems strange that there are this many things wrong with it.

Take it back to Verizon/Best Buy/whatever and get a replacement, maybe you got a defective unit?

I don't know what's up with that dude man, I appreciate your concern to find help about the phone and not just give up on it right away.
this... I am a very heavy user (to the tune of having to recharge even a normal phone like my bb 2-3 times a day) and i'm not having any of these problems.. i've had sms/mms die once when i had handsent on the phone, but really, thats about it.. take it back to verizon or bb wherever you bought it and tell them that it's randomly freezing and whatnot and that you want to get a replacement. lemons happen, but you are well within your rights and have a great reason with what youv'e described in that case to get a new phone.. I for one, love my incredible and really, the only major problem i have is the battery, like everyone else. yes, there are some things that could have been done better, but thats why rooting exists and whatever doesn't get fixed in an ota update will more than likely get fixed in the next few months when people start cooking up good roms for the phone..

just my .02

EDIT: just noticed that you did a reset.. hopefully this continues to keep the phone great for you, but either way, the above still stands if you start having the problems again.

Upvote 0
FURTHER UPDATE -
Two forced close apps today.
The first:
SORRY!
The application Messaging
(process com.android.mms)
has stopped unexpectedly.
Please try again.

The second is the same error but calls the application Touch Input (process com.htc.android.htcime).
Didn't exactly see what that one closed. Must be behind the scenes.
Guess I'll return for another since few people have problems. No biggy. :)
As for the above post, WTF are you even talking about 'clearing my email notifications'? I was talking about SMS notifications not going away despite launching the app and reading the message several times. Not the simple notifications up top.
Some of you guys that are so damn quick to tell me that I need to learn the device should perhaps learn to read the initial post and followups.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones