• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

need help and pointers please

BTK-appl3killa

Feb 2, 2011
Texas
hello all and thanks for reading, the reason why I'm posting this thread is because I'm going to build my own computer (which i have never done before) and would like to get some help if possible by someone that has done this before

this is what the computer will include in it:

MSI 785GTM-E45 Motherboard

AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core Processor

Masscool 5W1081F1M3 CPU Fan

Lite-On Internal 24X DVD Writer

Crucial 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 Memory x2

Seagate Barracuda 1TB Low Power Hard Drive

PowerUp ATX Black Mid-Tower Case with Power Supply

I see. I wasn't sure what you were asking for.

Here's a link to how to put a PC together. It's much more thorough than what I could explain in a single thread. I'll just add some pointers for you.

Part 3: Putting It All Together : Best Of Tom?s Hardware: How To Build A PC

Pointers:

1. Install the cpu and heatsink on the motherboard first before screwing the board to your case.

2. Electrostatic discharge can damage components such as your motherboard. Like the guide says, the is largely exaggerated. As long as you're not putting it together on carpet in a super dry environment, you should be fine. However, if you want to be extra safe , you can get anti electrostatic bracelets or gloves.

3.The trickiest part in the whole build is installing heatsink on the cpu. Install the brackets first before applying the thermal paste. There are numberous ways to apply the thermal paste. Personally, I put a single dot in the middle and let it spread as you put the heatsink on. Check the link below.

Maximum PC | How-To: Properly Apply Thermal Paste and Install a CPU

4. As with any high power system, heat is the main cause for hardware failure. Keeping your system cool (especially your cpu) is essential to the performance and longevity of your machine. I'm not familiar with the case you got, but i would consider replacing the fans that comes with case.

Upvote 0
If I were you, I would choose a different case and power supply. Cheap cases are usually not as well laid out for proper airflow to ensure good cooling. AMD processors are known for running fairly warm so good airflow is essential. Cheap cases are also good for cutting your hands when installing parts inside as they can have a lot of sharp edges. At $50 for a case and power supply, you are not likely to get a good power supply either. Power supplies are one of the most important parts in a computer. Cheap power supplies will fail early and rarely supply good clean stable power.

Upvote 0
thanks for the help guys and the pointers as well, i really do appreciate the advice and i probably will change the power supply as soon as i can, I've been doing a lot of research on this and I think im ready to do it, all i need now is the parts to arrive lol

i wish i had someone here to guide me through it tho lol, it would be so much easier

Upvote 0
It is really not too hard to put together a pc. Just make sure you are not standing there in your socks shuffling your feet around on the carpet when your hands are in there. :D You need to make sure you get the motherboard standoffs in properly to keep the motherboard from shorting out on the case. And as I said before, watch your hands in that case. The reviews for it report sharp edges in there that will slice your hands very easily. Just take your time and you will be fine.

Upvote 0
It is really not too hard to put together a pc. Just make sure you are not standing there in your socks shuffling your feet around on the carpet when your hands are in there. :D

indeed...ESD precautions are very important, and should be observed when handling PC components.

Where I live, it's an extremely dry atmosphere. I only have to walk across the stone floor or remove clothing, and I can discharge quite a large static spark to anything conductive. Which is plenty enough to kill a mainboard, graphic-card, harddrive, RAM, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones