• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No internet without WiFi - please help!!

FyreStar20

Lurker
Sep 9, 2011
Hi all,

I've had a Samsung Galaxy Ace since July. I bought it from Carphone Warehouse and it has an O2 sim card in it, which is working fine except for the fact that I can't get on the internet! The WiFi is working okay, but there is no 3G, 2G or anything else (I don't understand most of this technical stuff so bare with me!)

Under Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks... Data roaming is currently switched off, but having it on makes no difference. Under Access point names '02 WAP Prepay' is selected, which is the only option given. Network mode is currently GSM/WCDMA (auto mode). I've tried it on GSM only and WCDMA only (which are the other two options given) but it doesn't change anything.

I don't know what else to do. In almost 3 months it has never once shown any sign of connecting to the internet, WiFi aside. I haven't even sync'd it with my Google account yet since I'm never anywhere with WiFi and time to do it! It's not location though because I've tried it in loads of different places all over the UK.

Please help! :(

I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but with my phone it always seems to WANT to use wifi so it will scan for a network and try to connect to one, rather than use 3G, which makes sense I suppose unless there's no wifi about!

I have to actively tell it to use 3G by going to Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks and then selecting "USE PACKET DATA". Once I have done that I get a message warning me that I will be charged according to the data tariff, which I accept. Then I see the 3G icon pop up in the notification bar instead of the wifi icon, and away we go.

Upvote 0
How do i get internet without WiFi on my galaxy ace? I've tried the resetting of everything and nope, I have checked the access points and I dont know if they are right.
I'm on Orange, if anyone can help me with the correct code, please email to l.lloydevans@hotmail.co.uk
I can't not use the phone internet. I was told it can connect without WiFi and here I am, without internet.

Thanks,
Luke

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones