• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Obama Care Yet Again

So when murder is legalized it is no longer murder or it is no longer criminal?

I don't like that congressmen are exempt for insider trading. How do I change that?

A tad silly I should think. Murder will never be legalized. As soon as something is made legal, it is just that, legal. Hence the name, legal.

As for congressmen being exempt from insider trading, I am afraid I will require proof. And if they are exempt, then it is legal, is it not?

Upvote 0
A tad silly I should think. Murder will never be legalized. As soon as something is made legal, it is just that, legal. Hence the name, legal.

As for congressmen being exempt from insider trading, I am afraid I will require proof. And if they are exempt, then it is legal, is it not?

"To the frustration of open-government advocates, lawmakers and their staff members largely have immunity from laws barring trading on insider knowledge that have sent many a private corporate chieftain to prison." Washington Times

A law that privileges one class of people (in this case politicians) over another (citizens) is a direct violation of our constitutional principles, and I am astounded to see that you apparently have no problem with that.

The point I was trying to make was that legalizing what is clearly a criminal behavior does not make that behavior a correct one, it simply rewards the people practicing it by removing the penalties for it.

I'm happy to see mdram recognizing the dilemma.

legal yes, moral no

Not that we should be legislating morality, but there should be morality in legislation.

Murder was an extreme example. But there are many, many instances of powerful interests using their financial power to subvert the law to their own interest. Often this is done to eliminate competition or directly funnel public money into the hands of private corporations (health care mandate, corporate subsidies, etc.) with huge direct cost to the taxpayer.

Upvote 0
now please define corp subsidies.
are you referring to the money given to alternative energy companies, farmers, ect
or are you referring to the tax write off available to all companies

All of the above. As well as any laws that reward private interests by eliminating competition (no-bid government contracts, antitrust exemptions, etc.).

As for taxes, the rates actually paid by corporations vary wildly according to their political clout.

Upvote 0
All of the above. As well as any laws that reward private interests by eliminating competition (no-bid government contracts, antitrust exemptions, etc.).

As for taxes, the rates actually paid by corporations vary wildly according to their political clout.

oh wait no competition like a single payer health care system?

have you written your congressman to have these laws changed?

Upvote 0
oh wait no competition like a single payer health care system?

have you written your congressman to have these laws changed?

Single payer would be direct competition to private insurers. :D Let them compete on price instead of exempting them from anti-trust laws and guaranteeing them 100 million new customers with federal payment guarantees.

My letter to a congressman means nothing compared to hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in direct campaign donations, PAC contributions, indirect party support, lobbying, etc.

Upvote 0
My letter to a congressman means nothing compared to hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in direct campaign donations, PAC contributions, indirect party support, lobbying, etc.

and this is whats wrong. the more people that feel this way, the truer it becomes. if everyone voiced their opinions and voted them, then things may change.

apathy rules

Upvote 0
and this is whats wrong. the more people that feel this way, the truer it becomes. if everyone voiced their opinions and voted them, then things may change.

apathy rules

Money rules.

I can count on no fingers the people I've voted for that have done what they said they'd do. Letters to representatives are a waste of time. The typical response is a form letter thanking you for your input.

Voices count less than money. Votes count less than money. That's what's wrong: unlimited influence by powerful (rich) interests.

If I had a check for $10,000, maybe I could get the attention of a rep. Multiply that by a few hundred representatives and *maybe* the subject will come up, but only if the opposition is not paying more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones