• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Our EVO selected as as one of the 10 "devices that will fail in 2010"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhhhhhh I did read it
icon_rolleyes.gif
. If you "read" my other posts you will see that it comes from what the general public perceive and want in a phone. Point is the Iphone just works, its easy enough for a grandpa to use. People got used to having an easy to use phone. Its what the people want and its what every phone will be compared to.

So now you're a mind reader?

What does easy to use, have to do with the Evo not being able to match it on any level?

Upvote 0
Uhhhhhh I did read it
icon_rolleyes.gif
. If you "read" my other posts you will see that it comes from what the general public perceive and want in a phone. Point is the Iphone just works, its easy enough for a grandpa to use. People got used to having an easy to use phone. Its what the people want and its what every phone will be compared to.

Point is that Grandpa can't get the iphone to work cuz he can't get a signal, and he doesn't understand why cuz his iphone shows full bars of signal strength, so meanwhile Granny dies of a stroke.

Upvote 0
Point is that Grandpa can't get the iphone to work cuz he can't get a signal, and he doesn't understand why cuz his iphone shows full bars of signal strength, so meanwhile Granny dies of a stroke.

Don't forget the stress from him thinking he's seeing spots and wasting his time going to the doctor

Poor grandpa :(

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
I like my EVO, no complaints at all, but the EVO could be a FAIL if HTC/Sprint doesn't get some more into consumers' hands soon. More or less, they sold out at launch and most people who didn't score then have been SOL for a month. At least Apple made enough phones that they could sell something like 1.5 million iPhone 4s on its day of release. Sprint has sold something like 1/10 of that figure (granted I don't know which sales figures to believe about either phone but certainly it's way less than the iPhone.) HTC could probably double their EVO sales if they could just make them in time.

Upvote 0
I like my EVO, no complaints at all, but the EVO could be a FAIL if HTC/Sprint doesn't get some more into consumers' hands soon. More or less, they sold out at launch and most people who didn't score then have been SOL for a month. At least Apple made enough phones that they could sell something like 1.5 million iPhone 4s on its day of release. Sprint has sold something like 1/10 of that figure (granted I don't know which sales figures to believe about either phone but certainly it's way less than the iPhone.) HTC could probably double their EVO sales if they could just make them in time.

Good point, and that goes for the Incredible on VZW as well.

Upvote 0
Failure by the end of 2010? If HTC/Sprint doesn't get FroYo out by the end of the year then yeah ok :)

Considering how much power this phone has and how much of a performance improvement FroYo has to offer, I don't think this phone is going to fail anytime soon. I can actually see myself lasting a whole 2 years before upgrading from my EVO.

I take the speed for granted a lot since I came from a G1, wow talk about slow and clunky. The EVO is fast, fast, fast. Aside from some quirks, it's a great phone as I'm sure all of you agree.

Upvote 0
4g? Really depends.

For true 4g, lte-a might never have it. Wimax-e at 2.5ghz stands a chance, though slight one.

Why may you ask?

Well that is easy. <snip>

Strictly speaking, Sprint 4G is a marketing term applied to WiMAX and WiMAX is intermediate between 3G and 4G where G stands for nothing more than "generation." In fact, more than intermediate - WiMAX more like a left turn, and a good one.

The real deal 4G uses packet switching technology. And if anyone liked the old X.25 protocol, they're going to love 4G.

Wait. No one liked that outside of IBM. It was overcome by the routing protocols common to what has become today's internet.

But - mobile faced the same challenges for moving data over the air as over wires in the days of dinosaurs, so 4G was planned.

A different branch was taken by the WiMAX crowd.

And WiMAX has beaucoup in common with wifi - the biggest differences are in its long-distance capability and the quality of service measures it uses (appropriate to a wide area network as opposed to what wifi employs for a local area network).

I see a lot of people in a lot of forums chortling over dumb Sprint users not getting real 4G, and all I can say, remembering X.25 is: be careful what you wish for.

~~~~

Meanwhile - DarkNeo is absolutely right, and we all know it - like early-adopted anything - in this case, our Evos, America's first 4G phone - they are always destined for immediate obsolescence. I can think of no exceptions to this fundamental rule with any high-tech product going back decades in any segment. We may have gritted our teeth over early adopting and the "low price" - but I'm reminded of the story of the lady who took home a near-dead cobra, nursed it to health, only to find its fangs in her as she drifted off to sleep:

You knew what I was when you took me home.

However, also like all early implementations of anything, it was destined for cult status on the day of its announcement. And we all knew that, too.

This was simply the first of a years-long tirade calling that lovable Evo a cult classic even tho it's a loser.

Ignore.

~~~

In my opinion.

Upvote 0
The EVO dosent need 4G to be a great phone. Its a great phone in and of itself. on top of that, Sprints network is great and they have the lowest priced and best plans of any carrier.

Low price plans have nothing to do with what makes a phone better.
that is more of a comparison of Sprint Vs. everybody else

I do partially agree with the article as well as some points

Nobody really uses Sprint....which should mean wonders for their network since they won't ever have to experience the issues At & t supposedly has with their network.
I find it interesting people(people on these forums) Say they drop calls but people i know who have AT & t actually never experienced drop calls.

How is "the iphone is a fail" due to selling 1.7 by like three days?

True, 77% were upgrades...i did a quick calculation...the iphones other 23% is around 391,000 which is still more then evo's launch day sales.

The argument that iphone is having issues with signal and the yellowish screens....

1)Sprint had their own issues(although temporarily) where customers literally bricked their phones that HTC and they both sent to phones
2)Sprint/HTC has build quality issues as well(screen issues)

At the end of the day, Android's "open" philosophy and Apple's "walled garden"...nobody really cares from a customer perspective.

It doesn't mean we as customers are "DUMB" but nobody really cares to waste time tweaking
a phone...You shouldn't have to tweak a phone like you do android to get it to perform better(i.e hero/eris)

I really do not think Android will ever see the success apple sees in one device...Even with Verizon(the biggest carrier), every ONE android device is a fail compared to apple. Which is why it has been stated before, that it takes ALL android devices to see the success of Apple.

However, this means with all the android devices combined this will allow GOOGLE ANDROID TO OVERTAKE APPLE. The evo is a great device but to be honest, i wouldn't say it does much anything better than an iphone 4...if anything, a phone is basically on the same level as iphone for once.

Upvote 0
Somebody spray that guy with some Raid!!! EVO is the top phone right now, the iPhone 4 is for sheep that can't think for them selves. it may have sold 1.6 mill, but from hands on, I can attest to it being a POS. And Sprint happens to be working out for me just fine...not one dropped call since the day I got the EVO on launch day...

Upvote 0
Nobody really uses Sprint....which should mean wonders for their network since they won't ever have to experience the issues At & t supposedly has with their network.
I find it interesting people(people on these forums) Say they drop calls but people i know who have AT & t actually never experienced drop calls.

"Nobody really uses Sprint" is a borderline troll comment ... Sprint is the #3 us carrier.

True, 77% were upgrades...i did a quick calculation...the iphones other 23% is around 391,000 which is still more then evo's launch day sales.

The argument that iphone is having issues with signal and the yellowish screens....

1)Sprint had their own issues(although temporarily) where customers literally bricked their phones that HTC and they both sent to phones

At the end of the day, Android's "open" philosophy and Apple's "walled garden"...nobody really cares from a customer perspective.

It doesn't mean we as customers are "DUMB" but nobody really cares to waste time tweaking
a phone...You shouldn't have to tweak a phone like you do android to get it to perform better(i.e hero/eris)

I really do not think Android will ever see the success apple sees in one device...Even with Verizon(the biggest carrier), every ONE android device is a fail compared to apple. Which is why it has been stated before, that it takes ALL android devices to see the success of Apple.

However, this means with all the android devices combined this will allow GOOGLE ANDROID TO OVERTAKE APPLE. The evo is a great device but to be honest, i wouldn't say it does much anything better than an iphone 4...if anything, a phone is basically on the same level as iphone for once.

It's not a question of "taking" a given number of devices to overtake Apple. The number of devices running Android is just an effect of the versatility of the OS, and is not inherently a good or bad reflection on Android. It is what it is, obviously if there were only a few android phones, but lots of availability, each individual model would sell a lot more, but choices are available and people make their choices. This is certainly not a bad reflection on Android.

Debating the single-device sales like it's some indicator of success is fallacious, and Apple rests on those numbers at its own peril. Android will be the #1 mobile OS by the end of the year and it will be so not because it is open source, but because it provides its users with so much more choice in how they use their devices.

The OP has no point whatsoever, the Evo is Sprint's most successful device ever; that alone will mean that it will remain relevant a year from now.

Upvote 0
Low price plans have nothing to do with what makes a phone better.
that is more of a comparison of Sprint Vs. everybody else

I do partially agree with the article as well as some points

Absolutely none of this has anything to do with the article other than you getting your troll on. You have a Droid on Verizon? Everything you said was flawed or irrelevant. You typed all of that negative stuff when your last sentence totally goes against you agreeing with some points the author said. Instead of telling what you agreed with, you defended the iPhone 4. Do you have one? Do you have an Evo?

That 77% are people who already had iPhones, it doesn't mention if that 23% were on other carriers.

I didn't have to tweak my Hero to get it to perform better. And don't you have to jailbreak your iPhone to get it to perform better?

Did anyone say the Evo was perfect and didn't have some problems.

So almost 50 million customers is nobody really using Sprint?

Sometimes I think some of you were rejected from the Apple fanboy club, so instead you try hard to troll on phone boards to get your membership renewed.

Reactions: Frogbone
Upvote 0

"Nobody really uses Sprint" is a borderline troll comment ... Sprint is the #3 us carrier.
I agree, every post I have been reading lately from carmen has been that of a troll.......All credibility lost here!

Why bother posting anymore in these forums? Nobody cares what you have to say!

Upvote 0
(Hi, Carmen, I'm re-arranging your remarks for more straightforward reply and removing sections I'm not interested in replying to, specifically.)

Hello, Carmen, from one of the 48+ million nobodies. :D

Stock:Sprint Nextel (S)

Maybe AT&T is fabulous on the East Coast then - because it sucks so bad in the West and on the West Coast that it can pull 40" of mercury up a little glass tube.

The kindest thing I can say regarding your skepticism is that people you know's mileage may vary from our own.

Apple has excellent momentum in the market, exploits that very well in a number of different marketing channels (covering two of the four key factors in supply and demand) and has not forgotten that it's learned to create and craft pent-up demand.

The only pent-up demand for Android is for Froyo (Android 2.2).

You fall to the most common mistake made in the analysis of Apple products vs. competitors: Apple is a hardware company, not a software company. Some of their software is incredibly good, and some of that is for sale. None of their software for sale that I can think of is available for non-Apple hardware. OS X is the prime example.

Apple software (and services) exists solely to support Apple hardware sales. They are not supported financially by advertising.

Google is a software and services company, with a large component of their revenue coming from advertising related to their services.

They have different business models and therefore very different revenue models.

Android is not a part of HTC or Motorola or Samsung (let's call 'em the Big3 (for Android)) - Android is a part of Google.

That it "would take all of Android" to overcome the iPhone's iOS is exactly one of Google's targets. That is not in any way a target for the Big3 or any one of the Big3.

The Big3 are hardware companies. Defeating Apple is not really their key concern - any more than it is to defeat each other.

Apple, as of March 2009 (last number I was comfortable with) had sold more than 30 million iPhones and iPod Touches combined - and has substantial gains with a 130% quarter-to-quarter increase from Q1 2009 to Q1 2010 (over 8 million iPhones reported sold Q1 2010).

Samsung, on the other hand - sold over 52 million cellphones in 2009.

Now - the Big3, with others coming on board - are using Android as a PART of their competitive strategy. Like WinMO in their competitive strategy, they'll use anything that works - they really couldn't care less, as long as they're moving iron.

30 million iPhones sold &#8212; now that&#8217;s a game platform | VentureBeat

Wireless/Mobile statistics

Apple, HTC and Motorola increase smartphone market share - GSMArena.com news

You've made the classic mistake constantly made analyzing Windows vs. Mac - a Mac is a piece of hardware, Windows comes on non-Mac hardware.

Same-same for Android.

Simple market forces would have to turn into those wishful horses that we could all ride in order to make your analysis stick.

You've heard of the old saying - Never compare apples to androids. ;)

I could be way wrong in the following conjecture I'm about to suggest - but I'm dead-on factually for its basis:

1. Apple was at the brink of demise; Jobs returned, had the company embrace open source, and regained mindshare critical to re-build the company (I refer to all layers below Aqua, the user layer, in OS X)
  2. The gamble worked because it was no gamble - the market demand for open-source based products was quite high at that time
  3. Apple's growth ensued until they hit commoditized market winners - the iPod and the iPhone - these are based now on closed software
  4. That commoditized success is sufficient to sustain Apple's hardware goals.
  5. Apple was once a closed garden, became open, and is now a closed garden again.

You may (or may not be) right in that consumers don't care about "open" vs. "walled garden" - but that dialog, popular to fans and pundits, also misses the essential point.

While some consumers enjoy the safety and comfort of a commoditized product, others prefer to structure their choice into separate hardware choices with a common software platform.

I think in this light you'll find an interesting dichotomy:

• When that comparison is Windows vs. Mac, everyone uses these market factors to explain why Mac can never win
  • When applied to Android vs. iPhone, those exact same market factors are considered and the opposite conclusion is reached
  • By largely the same pundits and self-proclaimed analysts!

There are no such simple dichotomies in supply and demand, despite what "professional" people want to say or believe.

When this shakes itself out the light of hindsight for most all pundits and analysts is going to be quite blinding.

PS - Like others, I find your comments sufficiently thought provoking to elicit a response.

PPS - Take the * off of your link in your sig if you want to people to visit your website to see important insights into the real you more easily. [hint]

PPPS - Now that I think of it, the Apple ][+ was open for its day - easy to access hardware slots and no operating secrets whatsoever for anyone who understood 6502 assembly and could afford one of the many how-to books or magazines. huh. how 'bout that? That was the product that really put them on the map in the first place.

Upvote 0
ehem, last time i checked evo performance on 3g net was better than iphone, evidenced by 1 minor point, VID CHAT WITHOUT WIFI!!!!

Yes and no and yes. :)

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/118517-fring-now-supports-skype-video-between-evo-iphone-4-a.html

Like many, I've been using Fring for Skype-to-Skype video chats because I could get to anyone, regardless if on a desktop, regardless of OS - rather than Qik.

So - yes.

Then - Fring gives a new port of its app for iPhone 4 use.

So - no, at that point, iP4 users could also videochat via 3G that way - including with EVO users.

But then they've gone and overloaded the Fring servers, so it's no longer working for anyone.

So - yes. We still have Qik <shudder> working over 3G - they're stuck on wifi.

Until Fring or Skype or someone ups the ante. ;)

Upvote 0
Oddly enough I don't even use the 4G except to brag that I have it. I don't like to leave it on constantly because I haven't experimented with how it effects battery life. What makes this odd is that I live near Baltimore, work in Annapolis and go to DC once in awhile and they all have 4G.

My point is the phone is still one of the best out there even just using 3G and wifi, so that dude is just out there, lol.

Upvote 0
1.) The iPhone is the most recognized smartphone there is. All with only being on one carrier.

2.) Verizon made the Android popular with all the DROID branding, before VZW, Android was just a crappy phone on t-mobile.

3.) There is a lot of issues with the EVO, HTC is unwilling to fix it, Sprint is unwilling/unable to make them

4.) iPhone sales have completely decimated EVO sales.

5.) This article is probably bias, but it it not completely wrong.

6.) 99% of purchasers don't care about the ultra-techy stuff anyhow, thus, number 5.

Reactions: carmendiva
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones