• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone Cases

Alvas

Jan 24, 2012
Vermont
I have a seriously problem with phone cases. The problem is that I never want to compromise the sleek, sexy design of the phone, and yet I am constantly afraid of durability. So right now, I am looking at new phone cases for my smartphone, and I am looking at a few different brands:

Otterbox Commuter - a little expensive, but from what I have heard pretty good case and doesn't add too much bulk

Driztronic Matte Black TPU Case - Not expensive, looks like it adds NO bulk, but only available online, and for some reason amazon doesn't approve of my shipping address :( anyone know of a store that sells these?!?! I live in Burlington, VT btw

so those are the two that I have in my crosshairs atm. I have access to a Verizon Wireless official store, a Radishack, and if it is really worth going out of my way, a Bestbuy, so if you guys have any suggestions and you know it is sold at those stores, please feel free to shout em out. I tried the Otterbox Defender, but it was a tank, added WAAYYY too much bulk, and the attached screen protector was garbage.

This is for my Droid Razr, but I put it in the lounge so that if anyone knows about these brands from use with other phones, they can sound off! Thanks for the help guys! From my test today, I know that the battery life on the Razr is more than fine for my use, so once I get a good shatter protector (which is what my case will be, probs won't get a screen protector because of the gorilla glass and all), I will be all set!!!!

So you're afraid of drop damage? Or scratches?

If you're afraid of scratches, your phone has kevlar backing and gorilla glass. Those two materials are pretty resistant to both (not immune, resistant). Most day to day stuff won't do anything to them. Except sand...sand will scratch any glass like nothing else.

Drop damage is a different story, and there's not much other than a case with a bit of bulk can do against that, either.

Upvote 0
Cruzerlite TPU cases/skins. $9 and change on amazon. Cut outs are all perfect. Adds almost no bulk. Look great, and help absorb shock in a drop.
I bought a few.

Like I said, amazon kinda hates my shipping address for some reason, and I don't want to pay 9 bucks + shipping just to have it sent to someone else! To an above poster, I am not so much afraid of scratching as I am of shatter damage. I know that it CAN scratch, but I am a very careful user, so scratching will not be an issue for me (I won't keep ANYTHING in the same pocket as my phone, for example). However, because this is a glass screen, shattering can be a problem, so I am looking for a slim, form fitting case that will provide an acceptable amount of shock absorption should I drop the phone. Like I said, I am careful, but things do happen.

Upvote 0
Like I said, amazon kinda hates my shipping address for some reason, and I don't want to pay 9 bucks + shipping just to have it sent to someone else! To an above poster, I am not so much afraid of scratching as I am of shatter damage. I know that it CAN scratch, but I am a very careful user, so scratching will not be an issue for me (I won't keep ANYTHING in the same pocket as my phone, for example). However, because this is a glass screen, shattering can be a problem, so I am looking for a slim, form fitting case that will provide an acceptable amount of shock absorption should I drop the phone. Like I said, I am careful, but things do happen.

I am sure you can find the cruzerlite cases from another source. They are great cases, worth a shot.

Upvote 0
The silicone ones at the Verizon store are quite nice. I got one for my Maxx and it adds very little bulk, some more grip, and I can sleep better at night knowing it can handle a little more of a beating. I had little options seeing as how the Maxx is new, but I still think I'll be keeping this even when more are released. I've been quite pleased with it.

Upvote 0
Just picked up a Otterbox Impact case for my S2

Phone still feels very thin.....very ease to take on & off. I like how it still covers the earpiece speaker. Only thing I dont care for much is the rubbery feel. Kinda hard to remove phone while in pocket

That's exactly why I got some TPU skins. They are not as solid as an otterbox, but provide adequate protection without the extra bulk. They also are easy to get in and out of your pocket. I had an otterbox on my last phone but couldn't take having to fight with it to get it out of my pocket. To each his own though.

And no I do not wear skinny jeans so there is your answer before you ask. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones