• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems with reboot after first boot

jwolfe152

Dec 16, 2010
I decided to make a new thread because its not a rom specific...but on any case if a mod feels it necessary to delete the other post our maybe night them that's fine.

here's the problem...i prepare to flash my rom wipe everything then flash everything. Well I get it booted and set up and everything go to reboot well it gets to the cm7 animation and then the lock screen then some stuff loads and all of a sudden it jumps back the the cm7 animation and it loops till I do a battery pull and then it gets to the lock screen loads a few things then the animation loops I let it set for 20 fracking minutes and nothing.

If you need more info on what I flashed or had installed when it started just ask I will check in as often as I can. thanks for reading its been a PITA to have to keep flashing and/or nand restore just cuz I reboot

I have had the Gingerbread ROM do that to me once or twice, but it always boots right up after the re-boot. Never any others though. I guess the questions people are going to want to know are , what recovery are you using? Are you trying to run them at 768? What process did you use to root? My suggestion would be that if you are trying to run the ROM at 768, then try flashing a capped 691 kernel first. Just flash the kernel right after you flash the ROM, before you reboot the phone. See if that helps out. Otherwise, wait for someone with better info to help you out. :)

Upvote 0
Well I'm using cwm 2.5.0.1
No special kernels most I every ran was 710
I used z4root

Actually this started before I flashed gb I have another post about what I was doing what I was using everything but I made this thread cuz I realized it was not rom specific cuz it does it with any rom I flash
Here is the link with a little more info. I really don't know if it will help or not but I'm just trying to give as much info as possible

Op link androidforums.com/sprint-hero-all-things-root/269301-boot-problems-aosp-froyo.html

If anyone had any ideas our questions their it out they I'm willing to try about anything.

I don't know much about TE or ADB stuff but if that's what it takes I will learn

Upvote 0
I would try a fresh install again, but this time do this process, you can try the first without the kernel flash and if you still have the same issue, then add the kernel process in your second wipe, report back

Boot to recovery
Go to Partitions menu
Format boot
Format system
Format cache
Format data
DO NOT FORMAT SD CARD

Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Go to advanced, press it, wipe Dalvik cache (do this 3 times), then press back

Flash GB rom
Flash DecaFuct #589 768Mhz
Flash GB Gapps

Upvote 0
ok flashed with no kernal yet but I got a question.

ok if I go and format cache and data why wipe it too? I thought a format would "wipe" those parts. or is a "wipe" a different process all together? and even if it is a different process what is there to wipe if its been formatted? I'm really not trying to be a PITA it just seems like unnecessary steps

Upvote 0
Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, each phone is different, thus the reason why we do it this way, you are sure to wipe it clean, this is mainly when having boot and flash issues, best way to do a full and clean wipe

ok flashed with no kernal yet but I got a question.

ok if I go and format cache and data why wipe it too? I thought a format would "wipe" those parts. or is a "wipe" a different process all together? and even if it is a different process what is there to wipe if its been formatted? I'm really not trying to be a PITA it just seems like unnecessary steps

Reactions: jwolfe152
Upvote 0
Did you get it sorted out? Also, remember that whenever you flash a new ROM, even if it's the same ROM just an updated one, you will need to re-flash any tweaks or kernals that you added (unless you know that the ROM includes that specific kernal or tweak).

If you are going to be a flash-addict, like many of us are, then you should look into purchasing Titanium Backup to backup apps so that you can easily restore once you flash a new ROM. When you wipe (or format) the phone to flash a new ROM you'll lose everything. Titanium Backup lets you save and restore to ease the setup process. If you are using Launcher Pro of ADW Launcher, remember to backup the settings so you can have it restored once you get all the apps back up and running :)

Upvote 0
I would try a fresh install again, but this time do this process, you can try the first without the kernel flash and if you still have the same issue, then add the kernel process in your second wipe, report back

Boot to recovery
Go to Partitions menu
Format boot
Format system
Format cache
Format data
DO NOT FORMAT SD CARD

Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Go to advanced, press it, wipe Dalvik cache (do this 3 times), then press back

Flash GB rom
Flash DecaFuct #589 768Mhz
Flash GB Gapps

Huh. I have never messed with the partitions menu when flashing new ROMs. Is that only useful for Android 2.1 ROMs with Apps2SD? Weird.

Is that something I should be doing every time I flash a new ROM? I am always just done a wipe of data, cache, and dalvik cache, and then flashed ROM and GApps.

Upvote 0
I thought I had it all worked out but I installed applanet again and got a random reboot and the cm7 animation lopped like 6 times then started up got another random reboot awhile later but I am pretty sure it booted with no loop. I'm thinking that app I'd doing something but howwould out without SU access

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones