• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Repeat Text Messages

Im not sure but mine stopped doing the double text before i updated to ICS.Now that I've updated everythings still running fine with no double text.
Have you tried to update over the air via wifi?That is an option if you want the latest ICS update.

Did you try the method of pinging there server via this method?
Dial *#*#682#*#* in the dialer while on WIFI and see if the update option pops up.Make sure the battery is charged above 50% before trying to update.
If that don't work you could try using virtual pc to run HTC sync on your mac machine long enough to run the update.
Download Virtual PC for Mac - Run Windows on your PPC Mac. MacUpdate.com

There is also VirtualBox
https://www.virtualbox.org/

Yeah, I tried the dialer method multiple times but it didn't work. My boyfriend has Windows 8 installed on his Mac and we tried installing the update there, but it still didn't work. I'll check out what you posted. Thanks

Upvote 0
Yeah, I tried the dialer method multiple times but it didn't work. My boyfriend has Windows 8 installed on his Mac and we tried installing the update there, but it still didn't work. I'll check out what you posted. Thanks

If all else fails try calling your local AT&T stores and see if one of them are willing to apply the update.Just explain your situation to them.

Reactions: Kim235
Upvote 0
I have this issue. I had it before ICS and I have it after ICS. It is intermittent, so it doesn't happen all the time and it happens with people texting me from all types of phones. I don't know what it is and I don't use the stock SMS app. I use Handcent, which I thought was the culprit but hearing that some of you are getting this using other SMS apps, it seems like maybe the phone or network related.

It's weird. The second duplicate text would come minutes after the first one so I get fooled into thinking it's a reply.

But it's so intermittent that I can't predict when it would happen next.

Upvote 0
I've seen it on my soon-to-be-retired Xperia, too. It usually happens in areas with questionable reception. I once got 8 repeat texts from my wife at the hockey game. I can never get a signal in that arena so I've just started turning it off until I get to a clearer area.

i have seen your stuff on the cruz forum, good stuff...welcome to Vivid. Kick ass phone that was poorly marketed. Development is finally picking up speed with the release of ICS and 3.6. Glad to see this particular forum growing!

Reactions: ChudleyOne
Upvote 0
i have seen your stuff on the cruz forum, good stuff...welcome to Vivid. Kick ass phone that was poorly marketed. Development is finally picking up speed with the release of ICS and 3.6. Glad to see this particular forum growing!

Thanks! I felt the same way about the Xperia when it came out since it was one of the first Android phones with an 8MP camera & decent stats. At least HTC & the modders seem to have more interest in keeping these phones going unlike Sony who is always late to the party with upgrades.

ICS, the $.01 refurb deal & free shipping made this a no-brainer for me. Looking forward to getting it tomorrow & getting it setup this weekend.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I felt the same way about the Xperia when it came out since it was one of the first Android phones with an 8MP camera & decent stats. At least HTC & the modders seem to have more interest in keeping these phones going unlike Sony who is always late to the party with upgrades.

ICS, the $.01 refurb deal & free shipping made this a no-brainer for me. Looking forward to getting it tomorrow & getting it setup this weekend.

well the inspire was the best phone i've ever had, and i'm a self proclaimed phone whore. The development for that phone is still strong as ever. i gave the inspire to my kid, and i love flashing new roms on it...usually wait til she goes to bed, and then sneak attack!!! lol

Upvote 0
Hey guys, new user here. I had this same issue with my iphone for months before I bought my vivid. I got my vivid about 2 weeks after it was released and about 2 months later started having issues with it recieving multiples of the same text almost daily multiple times a day and also with the texts being out of order. The problems still exist after I upgraded to ICS as well, plus everything on my phone is stock. Because I've had this problem with an iphone and an android phone I'm starting to think that it is a bigger issue. Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, new user here. I had this same issue with my iphone for months before I bought my vivid. I got my vivid about 2 weeks after it was released and about 2 months later started having issues with it recieving multiples of the same text almost daily multiple times a day and also with the texts being out of order. The problems still exist after I upgraded to ICS as well, plus everything on my phone is stock. Because I've had this problem with an iphone and an android phone I'm starting to think that it is a bigger issue. Just my thoughts.
I am well documented on this forum with texting issues, on vivid and skyrocket. I did not have those issues when I used the inspire and atrix so my assumption is it is a lte issue, but who knows.

Upvote 0
Backstory: My wife and I both have HTC Vivids.

Both of our phones at times recieve the same text message 2 to 3 times(pretty much immediately...back to back). Its not just when we text each other, but because we talk to each other pretty regularly...it happens most when we're texting each other. Does anyone else have this problem? I have been with ATT for years. It doesn't happen to my daughter(who is using my old inspire). What gives?

Ok... so I was in the search for a solution to this issue when I stumbled upon this thread. It looks like you guy's are hard at work trying to figure this out, as I would also like to find a fix for it.

The issue I've found so far is that our devices are not sending back a "received" message to the tower that the text messages was sent from. Usually what happens is someone sends us a text message & when our phone gets it it'll send a small message back to the tower saying it received it, otherwise the tower will keep sending the message it thinks you have received it. This is why you only see one text message on your at&t account, but (in my case) up to 14 copies of the same message.

I rooted and flashed my HTC Vivid hoping that this would solve the problem, but it has not. I'm really starting to think it's a hardware issue unless you guy's can figure out where to look to edit a setting that might effect this in the ROM.

Upvote 0
My daughter has an Atrix, and I have a Vivid, both with AT&T, and both of our phones send and recieve multiples. I am only using Go messaging app, and have disabled the stock one, and I think she is using the stock messaging app. It doesn't always happen, just a few times a week.
I would rather get repeats than not recieve the original text, but it could be a problem for people who have limited text plans.

Upvote 0
Did you try the method of pinging there server via this method?
Dial *#*#682#*#* in the dialer while on WIFI and see if the update option pops up.Make sure the battery is charged above 50% before trying to update.
If that don't work you could try using virtual pc to run HTC sync on your mac machine long enough to run the update.
Download Virtual PC for Mac - Run Windows on your PPC Mac. MacUpdate.com

There is also VirtualBox
https://www.virtualbox.org/

Thank you so very much for posting the dialer thingy to get ICS downloaded! I have been trying since March 30th when I got the text from AT&T telling me it was available. Finally today I called AT&T to get assistance because it just kept saying error, server unavailable. They couldn't help me, passed me off to HTC who also could not help me! Ahhh.... a quick check in here and look what I found and have now downloaded... all within minutes! Wish I would have checked here first!

Edit to add: I get the double texts periodically as well! So annoying!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Upvote 0
Well, seems like this problem is still not fixed.. And of course you know why I'm posting in this old thread. My problem with double, triple, and more texts is only with one situation. When I text with someone that's using an iPhone.
What's up with that?
It was tolerable until yesterday, I was only getting duplicates and they were within a minute or so, but yesterday I was getting 3 or 4 or more dupes and they were 10 or 15 minutes apart... Then today I've gotten 13 texts from yesterday! Annoying to say the least.

Upvote 0
Completely random, but I get the multiple repeat messages and also out of order messages. Its like its not looking at the sent time stamp, just the date and displays the message just by date. Its really annoying when it comes to procedures that I get through txt for work related material.

Now, I can't even load any txt message screens. I can get into ICS stock message app, then see who I have messages from including the preview. So they are on my phone, but I go into a individual contacts messages to read through them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones