• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted Apps

_wolf_

Sep 10, 2010
Hey Everyone!

Thanks to Beards and Cleanermonkey I managed to root my Samsung Galaxy S phone.

I am new to this so I'd like your help.

What apps can rooted phones run?

I'm going to download Titanium Back-up as per Beards' instructions....what other fun apps are there?

Thanks!

I think it would be wise to first link the two main Apps used ~ The first is RyanZA's z4root which is probably the most simple way of rooting your SGS.
With z4root it's as easy as downloading the Ap, installing on your phone and running it. No need for any additional third-party software (Odin) or a PC.

The next Ap and probably the first after rooting is to perform a LagFix.
Again we see RyanZA coming to the rescue with his App RyanZA OCLF
Again, like z4root we have another Ap that is downloaded direct to the phone and run on the phone. As above, no Odin or a PC is required.

_wolf_ has already mentioned Titanium Backup so I'll leave that one but suffice to say that would be my next.

So, to continue I'll add just a couple of others more for the time being:-
1. SetCPU for Root Users ~ SetCPU changes the CPU settings (capable of overclock and underclock) on a rooted SGS and many other phones.
Note: Galaxy S devices: use conservative scaling.

2. Root Explorer (File Manager) ~ Named as the ultimate File Manager.
Access the whole of android's file system (including the elusive data folder!).

SQLite database viewer, Text Editor, create/extract zips, multi-select, execute scripts, search, remount, permissions, bookmarks, email, thumbnails, APK binary XML viewer.

----------------
Okay, there's my initial catch to start you off.
Must dash... Due back in surgery.

Beards

Reactions: _wolf_
Upvote 0
Hey Everyone!Thanks to Beards and Cleanermonkey I managed to root my Samsung Galaxy S phone. I am new to this so I'd like your help.What apps can rooted phones run? I'm going to download Titanium Back-up as per Beards' instructions....what other fun apps are there? Thanks!
Your casual usage of the word fun worries me. Root isn't for "fun". It gives you more control over your phone, but with great power comes great responsibility. You can now do things that can seriously mess up your phone. So be careful of what you do.To be honest, there aren't that many apps that require root. Beard already listed most of them. There is also superpower and terminal emulator.

Upvote 0
Your casual usage of the word fun worries me. Root isn't for "fun". It gives you more control over your phone, but with great power comes great responsibility. You can now do things that can seriously mess up your phone. So be careful of what you do.To be honest, there aren't that many apps that require root. Beard already listed most of them. There is also superpower and terminal emulator.

I understand. Forgive me. I'm not a tech guy and I rooted my phone less than 8 hours ago. I'm still learning. I do realize I have to be careful with my phone more so than before.

1. SetCPU for Root Users ~ SetCPU changes the CPU settings (capable of overclock and underclock) on a rooted SGS and many other phones.
Note: Galaxy S devices: use conservative scaling.

I will buy this one later tonight. Thanks!

2. Root Explorer (File Manager) ~ Named as the ultimate File Manager.
Access the whole of android's file system (including the elusive data folder!).

Will buy this one tonight as well. Thank you!

Hope the surgery went well!

Upvote 0
I understand and agree rooting has to be treated carefully but it too can be fun as you catch things you simply could not catch on an unrooted phone.
Like being able to catch saved games for backup, or delete unwanted bloatware (extra-careful attention here).

As to there not being many Apps, it really depends on what you are seeking but to name a few more without going into detail you have:-
Wireless Tether for Root Users
CacheMate for Root Users
OverclockWidget
Root Booster
Swapper for Root
Root Manager
Swapper for Root Users (not the same as Swapper for Root)
Swapper 2 for Root Users
Root Tools
dropcap2 for root users
Move2SDEnabler
AndGuard for Root

etc. etc.

Okay... Back into surgery... Won't be out now until tonight.

Upvote 0
And you shouldn't have double posted :DI suppose it's okay for the OP to change the discussion topic if he wants to. After all, it's his thread. But you are correct in saying that he should start a new one simply because he will get more attention from people who knows about the topic (as oppposed to people who enter expecting to see a discussion about rooting)

Upvote 0
And you shouldn't have double posted :DI suppose it's okay for the OP to change the discussion topic if he wants to. After all, it's his thread. But you are correct in saying that he should start a new one simply because he will get more attention from people who knows about the topic (as oppposed to people who enter expecting to see a discussion about rooting)

:D hehehe...

I do agree that Beards has a point.

1.) I did not do my search correctly.

2.) I don't think I need to start new topics when old ones already exist. I would think you guys would hate needless clutter :)

Btw...your sig links are really awesome. I have subscribed to them! :)

Upvote 0
And you shouldn't have double posted :D
Ha ha.. Yes, I know the rules clearly enough.
Being 57yrs young and in my profession I've implemented enough myself. ;)

What I was more concerned of was by simply editing my post which was some 2hrs after it was made it would not have flagged a new notification for _Wolf_.
I wanted him to notice the link in where to go.

Not in line with the rules I know but the member's assistance took precedence.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones