• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting on 902?

So, I'm rooted and running into "Software Update Failed" messages when trying to upgrade to 902. I've tried booting from stock recovery (although all I've been enable to do is to "Reboot", as there's no update to choose from the list. Is it not possible to update to 902 if the phone is rooted?

Upvote 0
So, I'm rooted and running into "Software Update Failed" messages when trying to upgrade to 902. I've tried booting from stock recovery (although all I've been enable to do is to "Reboot", as there's no update to choose from the list. Is it not possible to update to 902 if the phone is rooted?

Being rooted does not prevent the update from succeeding. What will prevent it is any sort of modification to the system files, such as: frozen system apps (unfreeze them), deleted system apps (restore a nandroid backup if you have one), changes to build.prop or SQL Lite (nandroid restore), etc.

UPDATE: .902 has apparently been rooted. See here for more info.

Upvote 0
I just ran the tehroot v1.1 and gained root after downgrading from 894 to 893 via pathsaver. How can I verify forever root before flashing 902. Has anyone pulled 902 from cheesecake and flashed. Is it the real thing? Did you lose root? Just want to thank all the devs that put the hard work into making life less stressful for the average noob. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
I just ran the tehroot v1.1 and gained root after downgrading from 894 to 893 via pathsaver. How can I verify forever root before flashing 902. Has anyone pulled 902 from cheesecake and flashed. Is it the real thing? Did you lose root? Just want to thank all the devs that put the hard work into making life less stressful for the average noob. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

You can download .902 directly from here.

To verify Forever Root, using Root Explorer navigate to system/bin, view the file named mount_ext3.sh verify that the following lines are at the bottom:

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

Most people maintained root when using this method with the .902 update, but in a few cases root was lost. If that happens, you can regain root with the Motofail method located here. (It says Droid 4 but it works with the Bionic, RAZR, and Droid 3 as well.) This method will root .902 directly without having to downgrade.

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
I did that exact method for my phone, and now I'm running lovely Ice Cream Sandwich. There isn't a camera, but Ice Cream Sandwich...

Camera? I have a Panasonic FS-25 that takes 12.1 MP pics. Do I really need the cam on my phone?

But, yeah, ICS4B (2-10) is running circles around anything I've played with thus far. Data is nice too, although I'm still having to re-enable i on reboots. It's fast enough, though....

Upvote 0
Camera? I have a Panasonic FS-25 that takes 12.1 MP pics. Do I really need the cam on my phone?

But, yeah, ICS4B (2-10) is running circles around anything I've played with thus far. Data is nice too, although I'm still having to re-enable i on reboots. It's fast enough, though....

Yeah, you still have to do that switch.

This camera is my only camera, as well as video camera unless I borrow a Sony FX1.

ICS is just the best thing ever. I did have that weird old bug where Android System started to eat battery, so I rebooted, and battery usage is back to being extremely well.

I showed my dad ICS on the Bionic, and he told me how much he hated it and will not update. Oh well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones