• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen light up with new notification

timp123

May 25, 2010
Ok guys, I'm new to android; help me out here.

Has anybody else ever been in an SMS (Google Voice), email, or IM conversation with somebody, with your phone continually beeping every 30 seconds when you get a new message? This happens to me a lot. The phone is sitting next to me on my desk, and each time it beeps, I pick it up, push the power button, swipe to unlock, swipe down the notifications bar, and then look to see what's new. After doing this about 30 times in an hour, I have to ask myself, is this really necessary on a modern smartphone? The dumbest dumbphone I know will light up when you get a new text.

Now, I have searched high and low, and am I just stupid, or is there no setting or app available to turn the screen on for like 5 seconds and display new notifications as soon as they come in???

I understand that Handcent and SMS Popup have this function, but only for carrier SMS (not GV). It seems so intuitive that the notifications panel itself should just appear for a few seconds (to not waste battery) with each new notification. That way I could actually use the Silent mode by just putting the phone on my desk when I'm in class or a meeting.

Anybody know if I'm missing a setting or an app for this?

Reactions: billabong69
That would be why we have colored LED functions - with Handcent you can change h color so your Craigslist reader (purple) is different from your GMail (green) is different from your SMS (I have mine set to yellow) is different from your Twitter....

If you turn off audio notification you should still see the LED - without having to burn the battery to turn on your display.

If you're looking 30 times an hour now, then it turning on your screen 30 times an hour is gonna kill your battery....

Upvote 0
Ok guys, I'm new to android; help me out here.

Has anybody else ever been in an SMS (Google Voice), email, or IM conversation with somebody, with your phone continually beeping every 30 seconds when you get a new message? This happens to me a lot. The phone is sitting next to me on my desk, and each time it beeps, I pick it up, push the power button, swipe to unlock, swipe down the notifications bar, and then look to see what's new. After doing this about 30 times in an hour, I have to ask myself, is this really necessary on a modern smartphone? The dumbest dumbphone I know will light up when you get a new text.

Now, I have searched high and low, and am I just stupid, or is there no setting or app available to turn the screen on for like 5 seconds and display new notifications as soon as they come in???

I understand that Handcent and SMS Popup have this function, but only for carrier SMS (not GV). It seems so intuitive that the notifications panel itself should just appear for a few seconds (to not waste battery) with each new notification. That way I could actually use the Silent mode by just putting the phone on my desk when I'm in class or a meeting.

Anybody know if I'm missing a setting or an app for this?

lol, yeah it doesn't light up for the 5 seconds to tell you what's up? you have to do some 'work' to retrieve that information..... I see where you are getting at. :)

Upvote 0
If you turn off audio notification you should still see the LED - without having to burn the battery to turn on your display.

If you're looking 30 times an hour now, then it turning on your screen 30 times an hour is gonna kill your battery....

Of course I'm not grabbing my phone that much all day long, but occasionally I do when I'm having an SMS conversation, and at times like that it's very annoying to go through 3 steps just to see the new notification, you know? Especially since the lock button is at the top of the screen, the swipe-unlock at the bottom, and then back to the top for the notifications panel. Seriously? I would understand if pop-up notifications wasn't the default option, but not an option at all? And not even an app for it?

How about an app to display notifications on the lock screen?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones