• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sony Xperia Play, users plz help

cary chilton

Jun 5, 2011
A few questions, will my so called play station phone be able to upgrade to Gingerbread?

What is the highest memory SD card available?

Lots of new free games for download now, but of course I dont have memory on my phone for all, (what a freaking stupid oversight on Sony's part). Does gingerbread have have this work around? Or must,I root?

I want more memory for apps and gaming or I am dumping this phone. Any suggestions?

Thanks

No OS can allow for more memory than you already have*.

Newer versions of Android typically (as with most other OSs) use more memor, and thus less is available for applications.

* - newer operating systems, however, may make more efficient use of avilable RAM so that it seems like you have more memory, by doing things like virtualizing / paging apps to swap / virtual memory, more aggressively killing off apps that are not in use (which Gingerbread does a lot of), and using other techniques.

However, If your device has, say, 512 MB of RAM, it will still have 512 MB of RAM. It's free RAM that you're interested - and here, YMMV

Upvote 0
No OS can allow for more memory than you already have*.

Newer versions of Android typically (as with most other OSs) use more memor, and thus less is available for applications.

* - newer operating systems, however, may make more efficient use of avilable RAM so that it seems like you have more memory, by doing things like virtualizing / paging apps to swap / virtual memory, more aggressively killing off apps that are not in use (which Gingerbread does a lot of), and using other techniques.

However, If your device has, say, 512 MB of RAM, it will still have 512 MB of RAM. It's free RAM that you're interested - and here, YMMV

Upvote 0
Ok what does rooting do? As I understand it, it would allow to only keep exe files on the RAM and allow the majority of a game, app to remain on the SD card. The Sony Play phone RAM is only 350mb and after downloading facebook some small music apps, updates for skype, yahoo, google maps, gmail, and 4 additonal games my phone memory is strapped to 75mb. This sucks. I know friends with an old 8G 3GS iphone who have tons of apps!

Sony JUST ANNOUNCED to Xperia users of the upcoming Android 4 update. Will this solve my problem or will rooting the only way to run and download more apps/games? I have an 8G SD card in my phone now, btw

Upvote 0
If you dont want to root, then you can always download apps2sd. This has saved me alot of memory. I haven't even rooted it yet. I downloaded big files such as gta 3, shadowgun, guns n bros, real racing 2 and ive still got suffienent memory on my phone

Btw, the max memory on the sd is 32gb

Upvote 0
I tried apps2sd instead what I had, app2sd and I got my phone memory from 90 to 95mb.
On apps2sd ONLY PHONE list has : whatsapp, twitter, yahoo mail, facebook, flash, etc and these programs are 4 to 11mb, even still the math doesn't seem rigbt。 I mean according to apps2sd and the manage apications menu in Android, I still have more apps and programs that came factory stock that cannot be moved. I remember the phone memory was like 220mb free when took it out of the box WITH the stock software, stock apps, anti-virus, google maps, etc

I have a feeling that Android is leaving patchiness in the unistalls and or updates like windows often does. Is this possible? How would I go about finding if my phone memory is being taken by apps tha should have been fully unistalled or other possible memory hogs?

Another thing that is amusing is that the apps downplay their actual size. You dowoad an app, your phone memory takes a huge hit despite the numbers in manage app menu. When you delete, say a 4.3 mb app, suddenly you regain 18mb.

There must be someone here who knows what I am talking about.

How much is the phone memory, RAM, for apps and programs on the iphone, btw?

Upvote 0
you need to get root access on your phone, then you can move nearly all the apps to SD card. I was having exact same trouble as you, until i got root access. Download superoneclick here, thats the easiest method, works for all xperia play models except the verizon version -

[HOW-TO] Root Phones w/ Android v2.2.x-2.3.x (zergRush Method) - xda-developers

just plug ur phone in via usb, fire up superoneclick and hit the button (wait for it to finish hacking your phone) and youve got root, simple as that. Then you can download the app install manager off android market and move more apps to SD card. You shouldnt have any trouble after that.

p.s youll need to enable usb debugging mode on your phone before you run superoneclick,
its under settings, applications, development. Otherwise it wont work.

Upvote 0
Dont bother worrying about RAM. This isnt Windows. Android does not use .exe files. Its Linux, and .exe's are a Windows thing. Moving apps to SD will not free up RAM. It will save some space in the phones internal storage. The Xperia Play has 2.3.3/4, and is to be upgraded to 4.0 near the end of Spring. I'd be surprised if the update led the system to use less RAM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones