• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SOPA internet censorship bill

I urge everyone who is against "Piracy" to go read that article in its entirety. Very telling about how the business model is changing... instead of fighting file sharing, people should be embracing it, and using the exposure to SELL STUFF.

I would like to read your links that apparently support piracy, but I am reading the Bloods and Cripts' web sites to gather solid evidence to support drug dealing and drive-by shootings. Soon I'll be ready for some bling. I am thinking a large platinum letter "B" encrusted with opal and red diamonds.

Gangs support the Bling industry. Without illegal activity, how could manufacturers ever hope to sell all of those thirty pound, solid gold, diamond encrusted necklaces? Gangs shoot people in a drive-by and the family collects death insurance. Besides, these gangs reduce the carbon footprint, so drive by shootings make the planet a bit safer for the next generation.

You are right . . . I have changed my mind. When my books are stolen and made available for free, I am actually making money. I was blind and now I can see.

Upvote 0
I might actually take PIPA over "cute kitty" videos!:p
NOoooooo! Cute kitty!
That would depend on what "cute kitty" looks like ;)
:eek::cool::D

Did anyone see that one where the kitty was in the desk drawer? :D Loved that one!:p

Now, *ahem* ... anyone worried about the ACTA treaty? From my understanding it is a treaty with a lot of european counties and america that is meant to block counterfeits, but it is very vague and goes into Internet realms too... I haven't been able to find much hard facts about this, so far info seems pretty scarce.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
On that one point you'd be correct.

And, if you read the article, you'd see that Trent is only one example, and all the other examples they gave were of smaller, more "indie" bands and artists.

Everyone, read this. Mandatory. Jonathan Coulton, commenting on the Megaupload shutdown and his views on "piracy" which pretty much mirror my own. I'll go ahead and bold the important parts for you lazy folks who don't want to have an honest discussion so you skip reading the things I post.

Jonathan Coulton

Uh oh, he

Upvote 0
Wow people actually believe this

So your saying that If I go into a grocery store and steal a steak and eat with a friend who takes other friends to the store and buys the steak that I have just made the store money so they should not prosecute me for stealing the steaks. This would be very interesting.

Wonder if I kill someone but prove they deserved to die if I can get amnesty. After all I was doing the world a favor right?

When did I say that? Stealing a steak is nothing like copying a bunch of 0's and 1's and if you think that, you are being purposefully obtuse to avoid the issue.

Upvote 0
and the biggest flaw in your logic is that the guy who gets his group of friends together almost always says "Don't buy the books, I'll show you where to get them for free".

Simply not true. Don't know what else to say. In this example, the person DID hand out the illegally downloaded copy of the books to them. They then liked them so much, but wanted the physical object to hold and page through, that they all went and bought the books (and more).

Upvote 0
When did I say that? Stealing a steak is nothing like copying a bunch of 0's and 1's and if you think that, you are being purposefully obtuse to avoid the issue.

Hey there is no difference between the two the only one avoiding any thing seems to be you. Piracy is a fancy way of saying stealing. And stealing is a CRIME

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones