• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint 2.1 getting very close

Well, judging from the way the "clues" are shaping up, I plan on the cautious approach as well, being a non-rooted user (presently). As Kelmar suggested previously, probably taking the real cautious approach may have some built-in hedge value, so to speak.

Certainly want to wait until the peak rush is over, just to hedge against any surprises.

While I don't have much of it, patience is a virtue at times, and at other times an outright tail-saver.

;)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This is interesting. Thanks for the info. I have a question though. I understand that this update will wipe all information from the phone, so a backup is required. That isn't a big deal for me, but, I am curious about Google account stuff. Should I remove my google account information from the phone before the update is installed? I just don't want my information being removed from the server.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I am finding it hard to believe either one since that one screenshoot was supposedly from Sprint themselves saying the Moment was to get 2.1 yesterday. Obviously that has not happened. This leads me to believe the Hero wont be seeing a 2.1 update next week as that says. I think what was said in another thread looks to be more truthful. Our 2.1 updates are coming, they are just going to be on new phones. The EVO and the Moment 2 (which just passed FCC) next month. I am having big time doubts Sprint will update two older models to 2.1 when they have brand new ones coming that will run the same version.

Upvote 0
I am finding it hard to believe either one since that one screenshoot was supposedly from Sprint themselves saying the Moment was to get 2.1 yesterday. Obviously that has not happened. This leads me to believe the Hero wont be seeing a 2.1 update next week as that says. I think what was said in another thread looks to be more truthful. Our 2.1 updates are coming, they are just going to be on new phones. The EVO and the Moment 2 (which just passed FCC) next month. I am having big time doubts Sprint will update two older models to 2.1 when they have brand new ones coming that will run the same version.

Well, considering that Sprint put a lot of their employees through training on 2.1 for the Hero and Moment, and other stores (such as best buy) have as well, I'd say the official 2.1 update is on the horizon. They last stated they're on track for mid Q2, so they've got 2 weeks before they're behind schedule.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Don't know if this has any significance but I think I'm seeing a sign of a release. Since about January every so often I would go through settings and try firmware update. After searching for a minute or so I would end up getting a message saying "no update available". Since yesterday I've been getting a new message saying "update could not be completed. If this problem persists please contact customer service". Again, this may not have any significance but it is a new message.

Upvote 0
Well, considering that Sprint put a lot of their employees through training on 2.1 for the Hero and Moment, and other stores (such as best buy) have as well, I'd say the official 2.1 update is on the horizon. They last stated they're on track for mid Q2, so they've got 2 weeks before they're behind schedule.

Must have missed that. All I heard about the training was it was a 5 minute meeting that basically just said what the memo we have seen said. Same with Best Buy, they were just given a memo. Doesnt really qualify as "training". I think the thing thats making most people upset is Sprint's lack of communication with their customers. They have not said a thing in nearly a month, not very reassuring.

Upvote 0
Don't know if this has any significance but I think I'm seeing a sign of a release. Since about January every so often I would go through settings and try firmware update. After searching for a minute or so I would end up getting a message saying "no update available". Since yesterday I've been getting a new message saying "update could not be completed. If this problem persists please contact customer service". Again, this may not have any significance but it is a new message.

The 2.1 update won't come this way....

Must have missed that. All I heard about the training was it was a 5 minute meeting that basically just said what the memo we have seen said. Same with Best Buy, they were just given a memo. Doesnt really qualify as "training". I think the thing thats making most people upset is Sprint's lack of communication with their customers. They have not said a thing in nearly a month, not very reassuring.

They said on April 13th that they are "still on track for early 2Q".

Upvote 0
so on a whim I decided to chat with customer service and see if there was any news. The short story is that it will be available online. My chat conversation in-part:

9:41:34 AM :​
Mylie H: Sure we are launching a new version of android software.It will be launched in early may.

9:42:12 AM :​
Mylie H: *May

9:42:20 AM : me​
: Will I need to visit a sprint store in order to receive the upgrade?

9:44:20 AM :​
Mylie H: No. You will be notified by sprint.
9:52:15 AM :​
Mylie H: Once It will be launched you will get update on your phone. then you can follow this hyperlink- http://shop.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/index.shtml?ECID=vanity:downloads`

9:57:31 AM :​
Mylie H: You can go to the nearest sprint store.If there will be any error from our end they will assist you.

So, if early May is loosely defined as anything not in the latter half of May, we should be getting something good before the end of next week.

Upvote 0
so on a whim I decided to chat with customer service and see if there was any news. The short story is that it will be available online. My chat conversation in-part:

9:41:34 AM :​
Mylie H: Sure we are launching a new version of android software.It will be launched in early may.

9:42:12 AM :​
Mylie H: *May

9:42:20 AM : me​
: Will I need to visit a sprint store in order to receive the upgrade?

9:44:20 AM :​
Mylie H: No. You will be notified by sprint.
9:52:15 AM :​
Mylie H: Once It will be launched you will get update on your phone. then you can follow this hyperlink- http://shop.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/index.shtml?ECID=vanity:downloads`

9:57:31 AM :​
Mylie H: You can go to the nearest sprint store.If there will be any error from our end they will assist you.

So, if early May is loosely defined as anything not in the latter half of May, we should be getting something good before the end of next week.

Thats wrong. The update will not be OTA, it will be an OTW update. The Sprint reps dont even know what they are talking about most the time.

Upvote 0
Thats wrong. The update will not be OTA, it will be an OTW update. The Sprint reps dont even know what they are talking about most the time.

I think you misread what I said. The sprint rep said it would be available for download on the website. That certainly means OTW, not OTA. So, for the record, you're wrong about me being wrong, but right about the update method :p

Upvote 0
I really think it will come this friday as mentioned above but I think I will stick with root access and a custom rom until something from xda is created. I can always go on youtube the day of and see exactly how the sprint 2.1 will run. I am sure there will be 50 of them created about 10 minutes after. I really hope live wallpapers is included but doubt that will happen. What shocks me is the sprint hero is the only one with real facts of it coming. The eris is left out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones