• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Swype not working properly after Froyo update

dnaeem

Lurker
Nov 20, 2010
After upgrading to Froyo 2.2, Swype started to behave strangely. I noticed that with Froyo 2.2, Swype also got a newer version. However, the performance is much worst when compared to the previous version. Here is the summary of the issues which i noticed:

1. Incorrect word recognition. 30%-40% increase in incorrect recognition
2. Much higher CPU usage (hence battery drain)
3. Very bad performance in portrait mode as compared to landscape mode

Anyone else noticed the same behaviour?

Regards,

Yes, you're right. the old version was the better one. Even the update version's recognition isn't as good as the 2.1 Eclair version, but it comes with some enhancements that make it a better trade off. There's a post someplace I posted about getting rid of your version and upgrading to 2.10.xxx That fixes SOME of the incorrect word recognition.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I don't think I was entirely clear in my post.

Prior to upgrading to froyo, when going about entering a body of text into a web page (for example, this post) I'd tilt the phone landscape which would provide me with a full-screened text input ability rather than inputting text with the phone portrait as it was very difficult to see what you're typing when the input field is embedded into the web page. Since froyo, this landscape text input is no more and you're now forced to input text into a little box that's embedded inside the website. This is particularly difficult as the page will often scroll left & right when typing and is very difficult to monitor what you're writing to pick up on typos etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones