• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text message from iPhone disappears

Kelemvor

Nov 12, 2010
OK, so this is weird.

I ave a GS5 with Android 4.4.4. My boss has an iPhone with whatever the latest version is. When he sends me a text message, I get the notification that I received a message and can see the snippet in the notification window.

However, if I tap on it to actually read it in my messaging app, it just opens up a blank text message.
Also, if I just open my messaging app directly, the text does not appear at all.
I've tried the default Messages app as well as SimpleText and they both do the same thing.

If I do a search on a word in the text from within the messaging app I can find the messages but when I click on them they again just open up a blank window.

I also use MightyText and the message DOES show up in there for some reason, but that's the only place it seems to show up.

Anyone heard of this before and have any idea what the heck might be going on? I have not noticed this from anyone else and do get text message from other iPhone users without any problems.

I did find that I had some old MMS messages from him that came in with a date of 1970 for some reason and I'm having trouble deleting them. Just very strange.

Many iPhone users use their proprietary messaging app - another re-invention of the wheel - and it drives us all nuts when people use it.

As you've discovered, some of the texting apps are better than others.

I use Textra and check the setting so that all multi-party texts are handled as MMS for iPhone compatibility, I haven't tried MightyText yet though.

Upvote 0
Maybe it will improve if you try Textra, it's worth a shot.

I'm just about 99.99999% certain because he's using iMessage - http://www.ianswerguy.com/imessage-sent-as-sms-text-message/

It's like WhatsApp in that it's both an app and a service. And as you can see from the article above, iMessage will also send as an SMS - but - it's caused nothing but grief for non-iPhone users. Whatever it is, it's not a normal SMS, I know that from bad experiences myself.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

Sadly, Google is heading down the same path, using Hangouts for not only the old Gtalk but also SMS. People tell me it's great, I wouldn't know - I want SMS, I use SMS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones