• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Lonely Blackberry Store

It would also appear that Staples isn't interested in Blackberry anymore. Check out what's missing at this Staples.

18179939-93f1-2746.jpg

Upvote 0
RIM's Sole Stand-Alone BlackBerry Store Serves as Reminder of Failed Corporate Strategy - WSJ.com

For some reason this article is kind of sad, but I like the quote from the guy who works at the nearby Metro PCS store: "It's a landmark. Everybody in the area knows about it, but nobody goes there." Lol:laugh:

Sounds very much like this place...
Hangzhou Outlet: The lonely shopping mall..
...I posted this another forum a couple of years ago.

There's not even a Blackberry store in RIM's native Canada. Non in China either, not even a fake one. LOL.

Upvote 0
Sounds very much like this place...
Hangzhou Outlet: The lonely shopping mall..
...I posted this another forum a couple of years ago.

There's not even a Blackberry store in RIM's native Canada. Non in China either, not even a fake one. LOL.
That mall looked almost spooky. And no fake Blackberry stores in China? They're definitely in trouble lol.

Upvote 0
That mall looked almost spooky.

It was a very strange place. Thing is though there's many empty malls and ghost cities in China. But what seemed so odd about Hangzhou Outlet, was that most of the stores where staffed and open for business, yet the mall was completely deserted. I went there a few times, it was always the same. The staff where just sat around, sometimes sleeping or playing cards. The mall itself was in a ghost town. They'd basically built a sort of replica of Venice, complete with canals, gondolas and a Piazza San Marco. Probably 60,000 apartments, but there was almost nobody living there.

And no fake Blackberry stores in China? They're definitely in trouble lol.

That's another thing, seems to be very few counterfeit Blackberrys these days, not like there used to be. I think RIM are screwed. It's all counterfeit iPhones and iPads now, along with counterfeit Samsungs and HTCs, mostly with Android.

Upvote 0
China must be a surreal place to live for a westerner, almost Twilight Zone material.

Oh it is, once one leaves the tourist areas like Beijing and Shanghai. Still boggles my mind sometimes, and I've been living here for over three years now.

Here's another one. A few months ago KFC opened their first restaurant here in Xilinhot. Has to be one of the worse KFCs in Asia. They never seem to have any tomato ketchup, or milk or sugar for coffee. Service is painfully slow, is disorganised and has very few customers. KFC in China is nothing new, there's plenty of good restaurants.

Fried chicken restaurants are nothing new to Xilinhot. There's a Chinese one called Dicos, which is very similar to KFC. There's nothing wrong here, has plenty of customers.

It's almost funny how the counterfeit market in China is almost a bellwether for the health and popularity of the real brands in the rest of the world.

If there's a demand for a product e.g. Apple, the counterfeiters usually want a piece of the action. If there's no demand, they won't bother....ahem...Blackberry.

BTW if you get a chance, read a book called Chocolate Fortunes.
http://www.chocolatefortunes.net/

“This book is the story of the five global titans of chocolate—Ferrero, Cadbury,
Hershey, Nestl

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones