• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Themed ROM] NexBeast V1.1 (updated 5/27/2010)

How do I reset this poll!

• Yes

Votes: 63 80.8%
  • No

Votes: 50 64.1%

• Total voters
Hey Fab, I tried flashing your theme on top of Bugless Beast V1.0. I did a data wipe and cleared the cache as well. When I tried to install my apps back to my phone from the market I kept getting force closes while they were downloading. Have you had this problem before?

Did you use the link I provided in Pete's thread? The first release had this issue, but if you get the NexTheme from Pete's OP, or from ROM manager, the market issue should be fixed.

Reactions: ronaldramsayii
Upvote 0
Fab, this is fantastic work! Thank you!

You are to Pete's Rom as JRummy is to CyanogenMod. The ROMs (CM and BB) are great bases but for my liking, you and JRummy really make them much better. While the work you do may be "little" additions/changes...those add up to a big difference in how the ROM looks and feels. I think it would be great if this were listed in ROM manager so that more people (that don't frequent these forums) could experience this. Hell, the themed Helix launchers would be reason enough for most people to want this ROM. Does anyone even use the "home" launcher anymore?

Again, thank you for the work and contributions to mine and everyone's droid experience! I'll definitely rock this ROM for awhile and with all the free RAM...it'll be hard to give up.

Upvote 0
So far, I really like this ROM. I'm liking the new fonts (thanks Fab) and the speed increase. I had a couple of reboots and f/c with HL2 when running some of the scripts to remove some apps but it hasn't happened again.
Not sure if I'm gonna get rid of my Task killer and Set CPU yet. I'm gonna test it out. So far, the available RAM hasn't gone down past 60mb. If it continues, then I might get rid of my task manager. As for Set CPU, at one point my CPU went down to 384mhz. Not sure why that happened but I'm gonna keep my set cpu widget around just in case. Besides, I paid for that app so why get rid of it. haha

Great work again on customizing this bad ass ROM, Fab.

Upvote 0
Well, Pete, been a while since I flashed a BBeast, and boy have I missed ya! Fab, excellent job you've done w/ it! Love the look and feel (very HTCish). The only problem I have is w/ the kernels. Wasn't a big fan of the Bekit's before hand and now I'm really a sad clown. 1.2GHz is not stable. Guess I'll have to go down and see what the dilly is.

Also, has anyone tried a diff kernel for s&g?

EDIT: Weird. 1.2GHz would at least load before rebooting. 1.1GHz just boot looped on me. Too bad I decided to do this at 5 in the morning. lol

Upvote 0
Ok, last one (I hope). For some strange reason the Home soft key isn't working. I don't know when it stopped working, I def used it to go to put HelixLauncher on it. Thankfully, I can still back out as the other 3 soft keys seem to be working.

EDIT: Ok, not last thing. I also don't have a lock screen. Man, quite a few things going on w/ this. I have to make this thing work, this thing is too smooth.

Upvote 0
Well, Pete, been a while since I flashed a BBeast, and boy have I missed ya! Fab, excellent job you've done w/ it! Love the look and feel (very HTCish). The only problem I have is w/ the kernels. Wasn't a big fan of the Bekit's before hand and now I'm really a sad clown. 1.2GHz is not stable. Guess I'll have to go down and see what the dilly is.

Also, has anyone tried a diff kernel for s&g?

EDIT: Weird. 1.2GHz would at least load before rebooting. 1.1GHz just boot looped on me. Too bad I decided to do this at 5 in the morning. lol

Sounds like you are having a ton of problems that no one else is having. A couple of possible solutions:

1) Did you wipe data before installing? I also would recommend that you format the data, system, boot, and cache partitions in the "partitions menu" inside of Clockwork.

2) Did you try one of the 3 kernels listed in the first post? As far as I've seen, only the 3 Bekit's kernels are supported, and none of them are 1.2GHz kernels. If you can't any of those to run, I would say that your phone might not like those or possibly any of the LV kernels (I'm not sure what you've run in the past).

I can assure you that the problems you are having are specific to your droid (and not that of the ROM itself). Just probably a situation of "what work on YOUR phone doesn't work on MINE". Hopefully you can get it squared away...it's a great ROM!

Upvote 0
anyone else noticing higher than normal temps? i never used to go above 116F with normal usage, but now it climbs that high and higher with just the screen on.

Waking it from idle my phone is saying 59 Deg F (processor) and 73 Deg F (battery)...the processor temp being that low but as I opened some apps, it quickly climbed into the 80+ degree range. Sidenote...after opening about 6-7 different apps, I went into System Monitor and still have 66 MB of Ram available...Nice!

I would check to see what SetCPU is doing...I know that some people have had problems with the profiles. Could it possibly running at 1GHz flat out (performance setting vs. on demand) when active (not charging or sleeping)?

Upvote 0
Waking it from idle my phone is saying 59 Deg F (processor) and 73 Deg F (battery)...the processor temp being that low but as I opened some apps, it quickly climbed into the 80+ degree range. Sidenote...after opening about 6-7 different apps, I went into System Monitor and still have 66 MB of Ram available...Nice!

I would check to see what SetCPU is doing...I know that some people have had problems with the profiles. Could it possibly running at 1GHz flat out (performance setting vs. on demand) when active (not charging or sleeping)?

its set to ondemand and i can see the clockspeed changing. however my profiles don't work. when i plug it in the speed does not lower to the profile i set.

Upvote 0
its set to ondemand and i can see the clockspeed changing. however my profiles don't work. when i plug it in the speed does not lower to the profile i set.

I've heard that there were problems with the profiles running V1.0. I have not had any problems. I just plugged my phone into my laptop and my profile changed (I had to hit refresh...but it changed). I also saw it change last night when my phone fell below 35% (I have it set to drop to 750MHz) and it did.

Hmmm... Other than making sure you format your partitions prior to installing this ROM...I don't know what else could be causing your issue. :thinking:

Upvote 0
I've heard that there were problems with the profiles running V1.0. I have not had any problems. I just plugged my phone into my laptop and my profile changed (I had to hit refresh...but it changed). I also saw it change last night when my phone fell below 35% (I have it set to drop to 750MHz) and it did.

Hmmm... Other than making sure you format your partitions prior to installing this ROM...I don't know what else could be causing your issue. :thinking:

yeah i always wipe wipe wipe everything and format format format. oh well.

Upvote 0
Darn. I had everything perfect but stupid me decided to delete the native browser from the ROM. Now my Skyfire doesn't work. I'm guessing I can just pull the browser APk and reinstall using the script you provided to push HL2 into the system. Can I anyone confirm?

Question: With the "50mb always free" script, when running apps that require extensive RAM do you think BBV1 will have problems with multi-tasking?

On a side note: Speaking of browser..Did anyone try the new Dolphin HD browser? It's really fast and works great. UI looks nice too. Someone posted a link to the details.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/71957-dolphin-browser-hd.html#post669450

Upvote 0
Darn. I had everything perfect but stupid me decided to delete the native browser from the ROM. Now my Skyfire doesn't work. I'm guessing I can just pull the browser APk and reinstall using the script you provided to push HL2 into the system. Can I anyone confirm?

Question: With the "50mb always free" script, when running apps that require extensive RAM do you think BBV1 will have problems with multi-tasking?

On a side note: Speaking of browser..Did anyone try the new Dolphin HD browser? It's really fast and works great. UI looks nice too. Someone posted a link to the details.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/71957-dolphin-browser-hd.html#post669450

Yeah...if only the Dolphin browser could play all the media that Skyfire does I could get down to using one browser. Oh well, the game will change again when flash hits.

Upvote 0
Is there a difference between formatting the SD card from inside the phone as opposed to not formatting out of the box or formatting in a card reader attached to the PC? I'm wondering if this is causing my checksum errors in clockwork, not having formatted while in the phone. (sorry for half hijacking).

Jeff, about your boot loop and SD Card issue.

I just saw this at AD posted by Pete, post #628.

[ROM] Bugless Beast V1.0 ESE81

Backup Your SDCard to your computer

Menu > Settings > SD Card > Unmount > Format

Hope it helps.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you are having a ton of problems that no one else is having. A couple of possible solutions:

1) Did you wipe data before installing? I also would recommend that you format the data, system, boot, and cache partitions in the "partitions menu" inside of Clockwork.

2) Did you try one of the 3 kernels listed in the first post? As far as I've seen, only the 3 Bekit's kernels are supported, and none of them are 1.2GHz kernels. If you can't any of those to run, I would say that your phone might not like those or possibly any of the LV kernels (I'm not sure what you've run in the past).

I can assure you that the problems you are having are specific to your droid (and not that of the ROM itself). Just probably a situation of "what work on YOUR phone doesn't work on MINE". Hopefully you can get it squared away...it's a great ROM!

Thanks to the help of a few well known AF users, my problem was resolved. I didn't know you had to wipe multiple times to get this to work. However, everything is beautiful now! Loving this ROM!

Upvote 0
Ok, last one (I hope). For some strange reason the Home soft key isn't working. I don't know when it stopped working, I def used it to go to put HelixLauncher on it. Thankfully, I can still back out as the other 3 soft keys seem to be working.

EDIT: Ok, not last thing. I also don't have a lock screen. Man, quite a few things going on w/ this. I have to make this thing work, this thing is too smooth.

I had the same problem with my home key as well. It persisted thru several flashes and I noticed it only happened when I restored my apps via titanium.

My solution was to go through the batch restore and select the apps I wanted individualy, that worked. I think I was trying to restore something that was conflicting with something existing.

In regards to kernels, I'm running the 1.1 ghz kernel found in pete's OP at alldroid, as a result I feel I need to change the name of my phone from droid to lightning cuz its damn fast! And no heat! Very impressed!

Upvote 0
Hey Fab, I gotta another question for you: what do you know of this zip alignment thing? I was over at alldroid and it just kinda confused me, yet everyone seems to be wanting it. Do you use it?

Thanks to the help of a few well known AF users, my problem was resolved. I didn't know you had to wipe multiple times to get this to work. However, everything is beautiful now! Loving this ROM!

Great, I'm glad you got it worked out! As for zipalign, it's a script you can run from recovery, and it aligns all apks in /system/ and /data/, which should help with the overall speed of the phone. All of the system apps and theme is already zipaligned by Pete, but not the apps you've installed.

However, I have not tried this script, so I don't know if the benefits are really noticeable or not.

I had the same problem with my home key as well. It persisted thru several flashes and I noticed it only happened when I restored my apps via titanium.

My solution was to go through the batch restore and select the apps I wanted individualy, that worked. I think I was trying to restore something that was conflicting with something existing.

In regards to kernels, I'm running the 1.1 ghz kernel found in pete's OP at alldroid, as a result I feel I need to change the name of my phone from droid to lightning cuz its damn fast! And no heat! Very impressed!

Seems like TiBu is causing nothing but headache recently :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones