• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of getting a Moto droid

Now, I have the Droid as well as the HTC Touch Pro 2. IT IS EASIER TO TYPE ON THE DROID! While the TP2 is touted as having the best keyboard on any device, the keys on the TP2 are too spaced out and while I agree that the Droid's keyboard is not perfect...It works very well! I have big hands and it is not a problem. I'm running @ 1.2GHz, with Cyanogen ROM and there is not any other phone that can top it.

Incredible...yeah, I'm not real impressed by the initial reports...no thanks! Droid 2? That could be an option but not very much info out yet.

Ok, would you mind if I ask to have some of what you are taking? :D Because there is no way, not even by a close margin, that the Droid KB is better than the TP2. I owned a Droid since day 1 in November and have had a TP2 since Sept for work and there is no way the Droid KB beats it! I mean really, you are kidding right???? :eek:

I've had the Incredible in my hands and really can appreciate the smooth scrolling and the Sense UI. It is really the "polish" that everyone complains is lacking on a Droid when comparing to an iPhone. If the UI means you have to wait another month for an update, who cares? Unless you are on meds for an anxious condition that is! However, as fast as it is (and I'm comparing STOCK to STOCK), there are some reports of radios being weak for both the 3G and WIFI portions. That is where Moto shines. Motorola makes some of the best (not all of their models but most) "phones" out there as far as reception. And to me, that weighs very heavy on what makes a smart phone. I have to say though, if that article was wrong and the reception of the Incredible is really good, I would definitely go with it just for the power. I came from a Razr/iPod Touch combo and the UI smoothness on the Touch is leaps and bounds over the Moto Droid, but right on par with the Incredible. There won't be much that the critics can say about the UI lacking behind Apple on that one...

Upvote 0
I wouldn't get it for the keyboard. Its awful. The keys kind of feel like they blend together and typing is so awkward. As for the touch screen, its good, but could be way better; can't compare to iphone.
Features are good too. Lots of things to use and do. Could have a better app market though. Lately since 2.1 mines been acting up. It adds words to the dictionary that i try to delete but don't go away. ALL my texts will just randomly delete too, and my apps force close alot. Other than that, its a good phone.

Upvote 0
Ok, would you mind if I ask to have some of what you are taking? :D Because there is no way, not even by a close margin, that the Droid KB is better than the TP2. I owned a Droid since day 1 in November and have had a TP2 since Sept for work and there is no way the Droid KB beats it! I mean really, you are kidding right???? :eek:

I understand what you're saying but I can fly on the Droid's keyboard. The button action is short and deliberate and that works for me. The keyboard is the perfect size and I feel that the Touch Pro 2's keys are spread just a little too far apart for me to reach the keys on the far right or left without changing my hand position. The Droid keys at perfectly sized and I only wish that it wasn't offset to the left. I'm sure that I'm in the minority but I didn't realize how much I liked the keyboard until I got the TP2. One other issue that I have with the TP2 is that the spacebar is unresponsive if you press it in the middle of the key...this is an issue because always have to check to see if you hit it...then you end up hitting it more deliberately and it puts a period and two spaces if you hit the spacebar twice. Part of that is a software issue but it bugs the shit out of me. Typing on the Droid has always been pretty comfortable for me.

Upvote 0
I understand what you're saying but I can fly on the Droid's keyboard. The button action is short and deliberate and that works for me. The keyboard is the perfect size and I feel that the Touch Pro 2's keys are spread just a little too far apart for me to reach the keys on the far right or left without changing my hand position. The Droid keys at perfectly sized and I only wish that it wasn't offset to the left. I'm sure that I'm in the minority but I didn't realize how much I liked the keyboard until I got the TP2. One other issue that I have with the TP2 is that the spacebar is unresponsive if you press it in the middle of the key...this is an issue because always have to check to see if you hit it...then you end up hitting it more deliberately and it puts a period and two spaces if you hit the spacebar twice. Part of that is a software issue but it bugs the shit out of me. Typing on the Droid has always been pretty comfortable for me.

I've upgraded my TP2 to 6.5 so maybe that is part of the software issue you are referring to. Other than that, I'm surprised of your preference esp since you said you have big hands. I find the spacing perfect on the TP2 and keep double hitting keys on the Droid! It has been the most frustrating experience. They should have left out that d-pad and properly spaced the keys on the Droid. I end up backspacing more than anything else on it :(

Upvote 0
I came from a curve to the droid. I HATE the droid's keyboard. I absolutely never use it. The longer the message im typing the less likely i am to use the keyboard. I would 100% say to get the incredible. I love everything else about the droid except the keyboard and the incredible is superior to the droid in just about every way other than lacking a keyboard, so since the droid keyboard sucks, i can see no reason whatsoever to get a droid over an incredible.

Upvote 0
So I was able to get my early upgrade pushed to TODAY! Yay me! Now I'm just waiting for the Droid to come down in price. I wish Wirefly or Walmart would honor early upgrades. I'd love to pay $20 for the Droid. Waiting, waiting, waiting...

Stop torturing yourself and go get your Droid!

I did a lot of research to get the lowest price on a Droid only to end up getting one in the store and I'm glad I did. I was going to order from Amazon Wireless but their price went up drastically for existing customers so that option was out.

I thought about ordering from Verizon online but when I found out the "rebate" is no longer an actual credit back to my account but rather a debit card, I decided to just get it in the store. One reason was that if I decided to return it an get an Incredible, I could do it quickly in the store rather than waiting to do it through the mail with all the extra waiting. I think the anticipation would have killed me.

I'm glad I did. I am happy with my Droid.

Upvote 0
I came from a curve to the droid. I HATE the droid's keyboard. I absolutely never use it. The longer the message im typing the less likely i am to use the keyboard. I would 100% say to get the incredible. I love everything else about the droid except the keyboard and the incredible is superior to the droid in just about every way other than lacking a keyboard, so since the droid keyboard sucks, i can see no reason whatsoever to get a droid over an incredible.

I don't know that you can say the Incredible is better in every way...

YouTube - Motorola Droid vs Droid Incredible 2 - Wifi Fixed and Linpack

Not the best video but keep in mind that I am (and many others) running very stable @1.2GHz...faster clock speed than the incredible will see even when they get it rooted.

Plus...the Droid has better build quality. That goes a long way in my book cause most people are going to have the droid for 1-2 years. Plasticy = no thanks!

Upvote 0
If you're not a super phone geek like a lot of us around here, just think of the Incredible as a Droid without the physical keyboard (more or less). Yes, the Droid is slower. Yes, the Incredible screen isn't as good as the Droid. Yes, the Droid is running "raw" Android and the Incredible has HTC's Sense UI, but at the end of the day, I think the keyboard is where most people will make their decisions.

Yep I'm new and that was what I choose (actually I still have 30 days to switch... But I love the little google bar on the front (I'm sure you could probably add that to the HTC I just didn't do enough research), the DROID noise is awesome! :D and because I use about 1500-3000+ texts a month I went with the keyboard even though the specs of the Incredible are outstanding...

I love the phone(after two days) and probably unless something drastic comes along will be an android user unless support just falls off the map :D

Upvote 0
I love the Droid.

Flat out. Its AWESOME!

Motorola makes WONDERFUL devices.

I love the physical keyboard, and besides the weight it "adds" to it, does NOTHING! Walking around with that TINY amount of weight isnt a make or break deal, c'mon!

If your gonna get the Droid, test it out first. You have 30 days!

Test out ALL the apps, check out the UI, the camera, and texting, to me the Droid is BOMB for texting!

For me, the Droid was THE best choice I ever made with a phone!

Happy Shopping!

:D

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat here. Coming off my GoPhone to either the HTC Incredible, Moto Droid, or (gasp) 4th Gen iPhone.

I had a chance to play around w/ the HTC in a verizon store. Seemed pretty smooth, though - for me - I felt like the Sense UI was getting in the way. I don't care about Widgets.

The Moto Droid, to me, felt more like a iPod touch. The screen is there, the icons just sorta sit there, and you have to scroll around to get to more of them. I'm fine w/ that. The Moto also felt a boatload more durable in my hands - together w/ one of those otterbox cases I betcha it could really take a licking. I've also had a blackberry for YEARS (work), so I appreciate the keyboard even though its flat.

iPhone I'm sure will be awesome, but I can't shake the feeling that ATT is going to have my pulling out my hair. For 2 years.

Oh, yah I can get either of the Verizon phones for 1 year contracts. That helps 'device envy'.

In the end, I still don't know what to do. If I buy the Moto and the new one comes out a month or two later I'm going to be pissed.

Anybody have a link I can hit to understand what ROOTING is?

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat here. Coming off my GoPhone to either the HTC Incredible, Moto Droid, or (gasp) 4th Gen iPhone.

I had a chance to play around w/ the HTC in a verizon store. Seemed pretty smooth, though - for me - I felt like the Sense UI was getting in the way. I don't care about Widgets.

The Moto Droid, to me, felt more like a iPod touch. The screen is there, the icons just sorta sit there, and you have to scroll around to get to more of them. I'm fine w/ that. The Moto also felt a boatload more durable in my hands - together w/ one of those otterbox cases I betcha it could really take a licking. I've also had a blackberry for YEARS (work), so I appreciate the keyboard even though its flat.

iPhone I'm sure will be awesome, but I can't shake the feeling that ATT is going to have my pulling out my hair. For 2 years.

Oh, yah I can get either of the Verizon phones for 1 year contracts. That helps 'device envy'.

In the end, I still don't know what to do. If I buy the Moto and the new one comes out a month or two later I'm going to be pissed.

Anybody have a link I can hit to understand what ROOTING is?

All Things Root (Droid) - Android Forums

Upvote 0
Found this article. My best friend is jealous of my new phone and wants one. He is trying to decide between the Incredible and the Droid. This helped him. The article declared the Incredible the winner, however, for some people the full keyboard and/or battery life can be a make or break deciding factor.

Motorola Droid vs. HTC Incredible

Android titans clash when we pit the Motorola Droid versus HTC Droid Incredible.
With the long-rumored HTC Incredible now unmasked and headed to Verizon in just days, many early reviewers claim it may be the finest Android handset to date. But how does this darling ‘droid stack up to the last Google-powered phone to that held that disputed title – Motorola’s Droid? Wonder no longer, we’ve stacked the two head to head to find out.
droid-vs-incredible.jpg

Display

Winner: HTC Incredible
Both phones use 3.7-inch screens with similar resolution (the Droid has 480 x 854 and the Incredible has 480 x 800), but the victory goes to HTC for choosing an OLED screen over LCD. As Nexus One owners can attest, LCDs quite literally pale in comparison to the brightness and vibrance of a quality OLED. Unfortunately, they’re known for problems with outdoor viewability as well, but it’s a minor tradeoff in the big scheme of things.

Processor

Not many people complained about the Droid’s powerful Arm Cortex A8 processor clocked at 550MHz, but the Incredible brings a whole new level of performance to the table with a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor running at 1GHz. Early reviews suggest it’s among the most responsive Android phone out there, even with HTC’s custom Sense interface worked in. Boy Genius Report even claims it outperforms the Nexus One, which has the same chip.

Keyboard

Winner: Motorola Droid
The Droid has a keyboard, the Incredible does not. It’s as simple as that. Although Gizmodo claims the Incredible has “the most usable Android touch keyboard in existence,” we still have to hand it to the Droid for offering the option of a physical keyboard. The flat keys make it far from the best we’ve used, but many people still prefer a rather lame physical keyboard to tapping intangible keys on glass.
droid-vs-incredible-2.jpg

Camera

With an 8.0-megapixel sensor hiding underneath a bulbous red eye on the back, the Droid Incredible nearly breaks out of smartphone territory and into point-and-shoot turf. By comparison, the Droid only packs 5 megapixels. But resolution alone does not a camera make. The Droid Incredible also offers a dual-LED flash, autofocus, and on-th-fly adjustments for brightness, contrast, and ISO level, which give it the leg up on the Droid’s admittedly very competent cam.

Software

Yes, both phones run Google Android, but the Incredible comes with the Android 2.1, while the Droid comes with 2.0 and needs an update to 2.1. A small quibble, true, but the Incredible gets yet another check on its side of the ledger for HTC’s built-in Sense user interface, which adds subtle touches like a reworked home screen, OS-X-style Expose, and more.

Battery Life

We haven’t pitted both phones head to head in a scientific test (yet), but manufacturer claims aren’t typically too far off with phones, making them a useful indicator here. HTC claims up to 312 minutes of usage time and 146 hours of standby for the Incredible, while Motorola claims 385 minutes of usage and 270 hours of standby for the Droid.

Portability

Sliders make a great way to cram a full QWERTY keyboard into a touch screen phone, but let’s not forget the weight penalty. At a full 6 ounces, the Droid has always been a bit of a bruiser. Weighing only 4.59 ounces, the Incredible has a significant weight advantage. Although both phones measure about half an inch thick, the Incredible also shaves two tenths of an inch off width, making it ever so slightly more pocketable.

Memory

This seemingly clear-cut category actually a little complicated. Both phones have microSD expansion slots, but the Incredible comes with 8GB of internal memory and an empty slot, and the Droid comes with a preinstalled 16GB card. That means the Droid offers better bang for your buck out of the box, but the Incredible is easier to expand (the slot handles cards up to 16GB). At the end of the day, though, the Droid if offering twice the storage for the same price, and that matters more than potential for expansion.

Overall Winner: HTC Incredible

By the numbers, the HTC Incredible has an undeniable advantage on the current king of the mountain: Motorola’s Droid. With both phones priced at $200 on Verizon with contract, that makes the Incredible an alluring option for those Droid holdouts, come April 29. Of course, it’s hard to compare apples to apples with subjective factors like style, but we’ll leave it up to you which phones looks the best or feels nicest in the hand. Regardless of which phone you favor, Android fans should rejoice. These things just keep getting better.

Upvote 0
I saw that comparison already. For me, the things that concern me is:

A. HTC Inc is going to have its growing pains for awhile. There are already people on the HTC Inc forum complaining about dropped calls, 10 hour battery life (or worse), tinny sounding calls, etc.

B. Sense UI will delay Froyo - Froyo speed bumps will be almost like a hardware upgrade

C. I like the physical keyboard.

I just feel like I'd be making a 'mistake' buying hardware that is 6 months old, but than again I'm buying hardware that has had its kinks worked out.

Upvote 0
I saw that comparison already. For me, the things that concern me is:

A. HTC Inc is going to have its growing pains for awhile. There are already people on the HTC Inc forum complaining about dropped calls, 10 hour battery life (or worse), tinny sounding calls, etc.

Is a ten hour battery life bad for the Droid? Or are you talking about ten hours total including standby? I get about 8 hours of battery life with serious use (talking, videos, web surfing, games, reading, etc) When the phone is not in use for long periods of time the battery life lasts pretty much the entire day until I plug it in at bedtime.

Upvote 0
Found this article. My best friend is jealous of my new phone and wants one. He is trying to decide between the Incredible and the Droid. This helped him. The article declared the Incredible the winner, however, for some people the full keyboard and/or battery life can be a make or break deciding factor.

That article's rather weak. Did they even have either phone? I could have wrote an article like that just based off of the spec sheets for each phone.

OLED better really?
"Unfortunately, they’re known for problems with outdoor viewability as well, but it’s a minor tradeoff in the big scheme of things."
Yes not being able to see your screen outside is a minor tradeoff to being able to say. Man my screen has so much better blacks and vibrant than the Droid. Just look at the Side by Side comparison to this Droid that I don't have have in my hand right now.
I look at my Droid everyday and wonder why Google didn't use the Simultaneous Contrast of Color theory when designing the phone. I need some orange next to all this green so that it looks more vibrant to try and beat the color on the Incredible that I don't have next to me to compare the colors and see wow that's better.

Sure on the spec sheet with more features and higher MP count the Incredible looks better. But the real thing that matters is picture quality. Droid isn't hard to beat, but that's what you should be comparing. HTC isn't known for the amazing camera quality.

They mention nothing about call quality and speakerphone quality. Both which matter more than what the color looks like compared to a phone I don't have in my hands.

The Droid is build with metal, IMO that's better than plastic. Never seeing an Incredible in person, I can review, as the article does, someone claims that the Incredible feels cheapy compared to the Droid.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure plenty of people that read that learned from it. But seriously they should have not wasted their time and just posted a link to BGR's review, or Engadet, Gizmodo, MobileBurn, anyone that actually has the phone, than just doing a spec sheet comparison.

...And you've already made your choice jennay22, but I say you made the right one. But maybe you should have signed up for the 1 year contract and paid $30 more so than both you and your husband could have the Droid2 =)

Upvote 0
Oh, I'm loving my Droid! I wish I had more time to play with it w/o the little rugrats trying to grab at it every chance they get. This is such a great phone! I was also able to score a google voice invite which I have to set up. Hubby wouldn't get a smartphone. He's happy w/ his "dumbphone". He did use my droid to check out his fantasy score thing and was pretty impressed. Anyway, I need his upgrade for the droid 2:D.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones