• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] [Guide] Step-by-Step Rooting & Flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I choose option 1..will I be able to unlock the boot loader with the app from the market? Then at that point make a backup with cwm (the only one I'm familiar with so far) and flash another rom like Cleanrom or the leaked JB rom? The second method just sounds like a pain in the ass..if I can basically accomplish flashing roms with the first method..that's the one I want to do. I would also want to do this to make the backup of my original "rooted ICS" software that came with the phone..am I thinking correctly here? I rooted my old Droid x..and even figured out Linux for the 621 update nightmare that screwed us for a while..I would look at that file as my SBF? I just need to know what my safety net is here..the second method sounds like I would loose my "original" software..

Upvote 0
If I choose option 1..will I be able to unlock the boot loader with the app from the market?
Yes. Rooting and unlocking the bootloader are two completely different things.

The second method just sounds like a pain in the ass..if I can basically accomplish flashing roms with the first method..
Rooting and flashing are two completely different things as well. The difference between the two methods is that one just gives you root access to whatever ROM you're using; the other flashes (replaces) your ROM with a rooted one.

As far as "safety net" goes, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Odin--with an "all wipe" ROM linked in the other sticky--will flash you out of anything (well, 99.44% of anything to be conservative).

Upvote 0
AFAIK, Method 1 (debugFS) will always work as ADB will always be there. To verify, you can check the author's thread linked in step 2.

Method 2 will always work since it flashes over the entire ROM. This may or may not preclude future updates (I don't know; I have updates disabled and am running VRALG1 build with VRALHE modem--I don't plan to rebuild until JB is officially released.)

Whatever you try, feel free to post results so we can see, from experience, how different combinations work.

I am new to the galaxy s3 and took the 4.1.1 update, only to realise: 1) the update was available a while ago and 2) i would lose root. Not very bright, I know. But I have only had this phone for three days. Would method 2 work with the JB update? That is, using ODIN to flash a stock rom. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have a Question that may or may not be of interest to others, I like the new upgrade that Verizon SG3 got .. But I also like the one Rom that was made for the same phone Verizon ((SG3 i535 16gig) Synergy-Rom.. I like the way the Verizon Rom looks and acts, But I would like to have all the great options of the synergy-Rom. I was just wondering if anyone would ever combine all the options of synergy with the way the Verizon Rom looks together? Or does anyone know of a rom that is like that? I am Sorry if this was not supposed to be put in this thread.

Upvote 0
Hi folks, new user here just signed up about 5 minutes ago.

I got my first smartphone this weekend, a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I was reading up about this rooting stuff. I'm sure these are going to be some noob questions, but I feel like I have to ask them before I even attempt to do this.

1. What are the benefits of rooting? I saw that installing a custom ROM (is that like an OS for a computer) will get rid of a lot of the superfluous apps that Verizon puts on the phone. Does it do anything else?

2. I'm not extremely tech savvy, so how hard is this to do? I am computer literate, but I've never gotten into things like torrents or anything like that. I don't want to break my phone since it will be a LONG time before I can get another one if I do.

3. I'm horribly indecisive, so make me a recommendation for a ROM and anything else (something about kernels???) to put on my phone if I do try this.

Thank you in advance. I am looking forward to really getting a lot of use out of this phone and I want it to work as well as possible.

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread, but it's an important thread. And sadly dated.

The OP says to install the DebugFS Root Tool, but that tool WILL NOT WORK on Jelly Bean! So the OP needs to be updated with a step-by-step ADB push method of rooting. Not as a Mod but as a fellow Android enthusiast, I would appreciate the OP's efforts to update this thread with current instructions.

Thanks! :)

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread, but it's an important thread. And sadly dated.

The OP says to install the DebugFS Root Tool, but that tool WILL NOT WORK on Jelly Bean! So the OP needs to be updated with a step-by-step ADB push method of rooting. Not as a Mod but as a fellow Android enthusiast, I would appreciate the OP's efforts to update this thread with current instructions.

Thanks! :)

Until that happens, this worked very well for me. Make sure to closely follow the instructions exactly.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1974114

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum, and new to rooting. I never rooted before. I currently have the iPhone 4 with Verizon. I ordered the Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB model yesterday, and I should receive it by tomorrow which is Wednesday. I understand there are tons of guides/tutorials on how to root. Would someone recommend this one YouTube video that I am going to post after someone watches it? Or that video is not recommended? I appreciate someone could reply back. Thank you. Here is the video:

youtube.com/watch?v=0qceE0a0PKg

Upvote 0
Thank you! Do you mean by following both the site you provided me, and the YouTube video?

Yes, just read thru the guide a few times carefully, then watch the video.
It will give you a visual of the guide.
If you have any questions about any process, just ask.:)

I'd rather you ask too many questions, than guess at what something means.

Once you have done it, you will find it was a simple process. I've done it twice and it is easy.

Not to say that nothing will go wrong, but there is always that chance.
So just familiarize yourself with the process, ask questions, and we will be here to help.

You may want to start your own thread about it if you want. But that is up to you:)

Upvote 0
What do you mean by 'and so will we'? You already have these phones, so why did you say so will we? I have the iPhone 4 until tomorrow.

What he is saying is that you will receive the new S3 tomorrow, and then so will "we" receive it (figuratively speaking) as a group to assist you if you need it. :) The folks on this forum are very friendly and helpful, and knowledgeable. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions at all about your new S3. Enjoy! :)

The link he provided on that forum, hosted by their member open1your1eyes0, is a guide to rooting a brand new S3. I followed his other guide recently, to update my S3 which had been previously running rooted ICS, the android version before the current JellyBean version, so I could update to Jelly Bean and still keep root access. I have to say his guide was the cleanest and easiest to follow of all the root and rom flashing guides I have ever used, and everything went flawlessly according to plan. My S3 is running JB smoothly with no problems at all.

It may seem daunting, but the most important advice I can offer is to completely read the entire thread on one of these guides before jumping into it. open1your1eyes0's other guide has over 1000 posts now, but I read every bit of it first. You get to see problems others had, and how they were solved, so if something does go sideways you won't be totally in the dark on how to fix it. I think many people with rooting/flashing ROM problems try to rush through it without reading and following the instructions. Every step is crucial.

Upvote 0
I have read that guide a lot of times, but I am not sure what to do with Step 4. I am going to copy/paste the step below:

Using your custom recovery flash the download you chose above from Step 1 (#3)
Upon exiting your custom recovery to reboot first time, you will be asked if you want to "Disable recovery flash", you MUST select Yes
After reboot, your ROM will now be fully rooted, have a custom recovery, and/or your bootloader unlocked as well

Also, thank you to both of you for trying to explain and help me!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones