• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] [KERNEL][4.0.4] LeanKernel 3.10.0 (7/2)

Ran the hell out of 1.7.1 last night with no real probs.

I used the phones wireless tether in 4G areas to track a live GPS, comparing the map to to Google maps, emailing, messaging, phone calls and constant navigation all at the same time for 6 hours.

The tether did not drop once. No freezes lagging screens nothing really happened but the below....... lil quirk.

I keep the toggle for LTE enabled although I live in a CDMA only area. When I got deep into LTE areas it would not kick in.
I toggled it to and fro with no go.

When I went into the normal settings menu and toggled it there it slammed in. So .........?

Upvote 0
Oh.. got ya. I was just really saying that since 1.5 something was very good, I don't see much difference in batt life. But I'm now running it with Jakes and it's OC to 1350 by default. Yesterday was pretty good, I'll see today at the sports bar watching the playoffs texting all the people back east. Then perhaps the Franco tomorrow. I'll head over to that thread now see what's up.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
I ordered the extended battery tonight because I'm just not happy with my battery life compared to what I'm seeing so many of you guys getting. I know 13% isn't that much different - I'm gambling on the possibility that maybe I just have a less robust battery and the extended I get may be better.

35% after 8 hrs 35 min but I haven't even turned the screen on for the last 4 hours, moderate use before that. Screen on 1 hr 19 min, one 45 minute phone call on bluetooth. It may not be unreasonable, but it's not enough for me. The extended battery should be here Wednesday, and I'll wipe battery stats and start fresh. I still think AOKP/leankernel (some version) will be my combo of choice.

Upvote 0
I ordered the extended battery tonight because I'm just not happy with my battery life compared to what I'm seeing so many of you guys getting. I know 13% isn't that much different - I'm gambling on the possibility that maybe I just have a less robust battery and the extended I get may be better.

35% after 8 hrs 35 min but I haven't even turned the screen on for the last 4 hours, moderate use before that. Screen on 1 hr 19 min, one 45 minute phone call on bluetooth. It may not be unreasonable, but it's not enough for me. The extended battery should be here Wednesday, and I'll wipe battery stats and start fresh. I still think AOKP/leankernel (some version) will be my combo of choice.

I am using the combo you see in my signature and I can tell you I have no more concerns about battery life as I did before being rooted.

I was jumping on every Kernel that he posted but have reverted to the 1.6.6exp3. My unit just loves it battery and operational wise. I don't do any SetCPU adjustments. I have it running but untouched.

The extended battery is a noticeable difference. Amazingly on my phone the back cover that comes with it does not fit as good as the OE over both batteries. Try both covers to see if one will fit both well. My OE does the job.

Run em down a few times and rotate then once a week and your good.

Reactions: quiklives
Upvote 0
Ok, this is really strange, has this happened to anyone else?

So I unplugged my phone before going to bed last night, and it was fully charged. Usually I lose around 5-10% of battery over night, which is expected. This morning, I woke up and went to check my phone, and the screen wasn't turning on. Puzzled, I plugged it in and still nothing, not even the charging LED (I have lightflow turn the LED on when it's charging). I get a little worried, but I do a battery pull and this time it reboots. When it boots up, I only have 57% left!

So I check the battery graph and this is what I see:
Screenshot_2012-01-23-07-17-17.png

Anyone else see that giant cliff thing on the right side?? Has that happened to anyone else? Why would the battery drain 30% in a few minutes? :thinking: Android OS was at 76%

This is the first time it's happened to me, but does this happen to anyone else?

I haven't had trouble with the phone for the rest of the day, but still, weird...

Upvote 0
Ok, this is really strange, has this happened to anyone else?

So I unplugged my phone before going to bed last night, and it was fully charged. Usually I lose around 5-10% of battery over night, which is expected. This morning, I woke up and went to check my phone, and the screen wasn't turning on. Puzzled, I plugged it in and still nothing, not even the charging LED (I have lightflow turn the LED on when it's charging). I get a little worried, but I do a battery pull and this time it reboots. When it boots up, I only have 57% left!

So I check the battery graph and this is what I see:

Anyone else see that giant cliff thing on the right side?? Has that happened to anyone else? Why would the battery drain 30% in a few minutes? :thinking: Android OS was at 76%

This is the first time it's happened to me, but does this happen to anyone else?

I haven't had trouble with the phone for the rest of the day, but still, weird...

The cliff is from the reboot, sounds like your phone locked up and wasn't reporting the battery stats, when you bounced it then it came back up showing the current % which was obviously much less than it thought it was at prior to the reboot.

anytime I flash something I get a cliff like that (not as much of a delta but similar) because in clockwork it isn't reporting battery stats to the os

Upvote 0
The cliff is from the reboot, sounds like your phone locked up and wasn't reporting the battery stats, when you bounced it then it came back up showing the current % which was obviously much less than it thought it was at prior to the reboot.

anytime I flash something I get a cliff like that (not as much of a delta but similar) because in clockwork it isn't reporting battery stats to the os

Hmm, yeah, but that still means that my phone lost 40% battery overnight...

Upvote 0
That is really odd Teddy I've never seen that large of one. Also battery draining ~30% had to have been something/app pegging your cpu @ max to eat that much overnight if indeed the present battery % reading is somewhat correct. Was it warm at all when you picked it up this morn? Any new app installs or new changes you might have made prior to going to sleep last night/yesterday?

Reactions: TheRoosevelt
Upvote 0
Try logging out of gtalk and google+. I did that today and battery drain ground to a halt.

This is interesting. I've never signed out of either. Does reboot automatically sign you back in? My battery life is excellent, if signing out improves it anymore than I'll be floored!

What I'm wondering is if by signing out of these 2 services, would the AndroidOS that remains atop all of our batt stat screen shots, lower and not have such high "keep awake" times.?

Well thanks bj now I have another experiment I will have to conduct :D

No, but seriously, thanks.

Upvote 0
That is really odd Teddy I've never seen that large of one. Also battery draining ~30% had to have been something/app pegging your cpu @ max to eat that much overnight if indeed the present battery % reading is somewhat correct. Was it warm at all when you picked it up this morn? Any new app installs or new changes you might have made prior to going to sleep last night/yesterday?

It wasn't warm at all. In fact, I thought it was dead. The only thing I can think of is that I set TinyFlashlight so that if I shake it on the lockscreen, the flashlight turns on. That could be a cause.

I was already signed out of G+ but not Talk. Let's see if the same thing happens tonight. I don't think it will, though, I haven't had any issues all day. We'll see though.

Edit: Hmm, I just checked, and although I swore I was on interactivex, it said I was on hotplug. I've always had some issues with hotplug, so this could be the culprit as well. I just remembered I did have to do another battery pull this evening, so I may go update to 1.7.1 if switching to interactivex doesn't fix my problems.

Upvote 0
It wasn't warm at all. In fact, I thought it was dead. The only thing I can think of is that I set TinyFlashlight so that if I shake it on the lockscreen, the flashlight turns on. That could be a cause.

I was already signed out of G+ but not Talk. Let's see if the same thing happens tonight. I don't think it will, though, I haven't had any issues all day. We'll see though.

Edit: Hmm, I just checked, and although I swore I was on interactivex, it said I was on hotplug. I've always had some issues with hotplug, so this could be the culprit as well. I just remembered I did have to do another battery pull this evening, so I may go update to 1.7.1 if switching to interactivex doesn't fix my problems.

I have had Tiny Flashlight installed for over 3 weeks and also have it set to turn on while on lockscreen shake. No issues it works great.

Are you checking "set on boot" at the frequency/governor page? This is separate from the "set on boot" on the voltage page.

Upvote 0
Has anyone been experiencing wake-up lag with all these LV kernels? It's not a big deal, but slightly annoying still. About 75% of the time I wake up the phone, the responsiveness of the lock circle and animations are really laggy for the first few secs. I never saw this when I was stock. I'm sure it's a governor/kernel issue and easily remedied, but the other governors didn't affect it (besides "performance" which is bad to leave on all the time). I leave it on InteractiveX and didn't mess with any of the voltages in SetCPU. I had the same experience on the AOKP M2 ROM and with franco.kernel.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Has anyone been experiencing wake-up lag with all these LV kernels? It's not a big deal, but slightly annoying still. About 75% of the time I wake up the phone, the responsiveness of the lock circle and animations are really laggy for the first few secs. I never saw this when I was stock. I'm sure it's a governor/kernel issue and easily remedied, but the other governors didn't affect it (besides "performance" which is bad to leave on all the time). I leave it on InteractiveX and didn't mess with any of the voltages in SetCPU. I had the same experience on the AOKP M2 ROM and with franco.kernel.

Thanks!

Try something for giggles. Turn auto-brightness off (set it to a static level to your liking) and see if you can reproduce that same lockscreen lag you speak of.

Reactions: PhilosoRaptor
Upvote 0
I have had Tiny Flashlight installed for over 3 weeks and also have it set to turn on while on lockscreen shake. No issues it works great.

Are you checking "set on boot" at the frequency/governor page? This is separate from the "set on boot" on the voltage page.

I did have "set on boot" checked so I guess I just forgot to change it from hotplug to interactiveX.

Also tinyflashlight was in fact not the problem, because I turned it off, and even though I didn't get another lockup last night, the battery level still fell from fully charged to 57% overnight, and Android OS was at 80% I don't know what's going on...

When I'm less busy (tomorrow evening) I'll flash the non-experimental 1.7.1 and AOKP 20 while I'm at it. Maybe that'll fix whatever is happening here.

Also @T4rd I was having some lockscreen lag before when I was using the hotplug governor, but with interactiveX I haven't gotten any.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones