• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] [ROM][4.0.4] AOKP ICS B40/M6/Mods (7/8)

I'm thinking of trying out AOKP, and had a couple of questions:

- do I need to wipe battery stats prior to install?
- if I do, does this mean I need to go through 1-2 full charge/discharge cycles to calibrate the battery?
- Are there any known showstopper bugs in AOKP (M3) for the LTE Nexus (toro)? Like a core functionality plain doesn't work or causes lockups, etc?
- What's the best power-optimized kernel to run with AOKP? Does anyone use SetCPU with it or just let the stock AOKP kernel do its thing?

Thanks!

I'll add to BB's, it's a very stable ROM, but the only way to see how it flies, as you well know, is to try it.

There are several good kernels out. Again it will be up to you to test and see for your usage scenario. I'd start with the stock kernel AOKP comes with and run it stock for 2 days see what you think. If you come back begging for more, then Lean or Franco are excellent options.

I do use setCPU with the custom kernels to set min and max freq's, UV, and to select the governor. GL jkc!

Go BB's you got un mil :D

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
So what do you guys think about the new nexus plus

This thing! :eek:

28fde33d.png

:p

Upvote 0
OK, Just to make sure, what is a complete wipe?

In CWM, it's the "wipe data/factory reset" option. It does NOT delete the contents of the "sdcard". I just installed AOKP and wow, it was painless and I'm loving the extra features. It only took about 30 minutes tops to restore all my apps (mostly via the built-in android backup/restore feature, with the last 3-4 apps via Titanium Backup).

So far so good!

I will go back and read through this thread, but can people post their BKMs for optimal battery life? How quickly does LTE come back if you select the option to turn it off after the screen has been off for X amount of time, etc?

- I'm probably going to stick with the stock AOKP kernel for now, and have set the governor to ondemand instead of interactive. Has anyone noticed any lag using ondemand? I am hoping it will save power, but not be too noticeable as far as lag goes.
- Does it also automatically drop the CPU clock rate when the screen is off? I was thinking about running SetCPU for that in the absence of a custom kernel. Thoughts on that?

Upvote 0
So I was having major gray reception and hand off issues. I Googled "Samsung Galaxy Nexus CDMA Radio Alternative." The first result took me to a thread on xda with a set of repackaged radios. Check it out for those of you having issues. This will hold me until official radios drop. I am using the first of the two zips. Flash in recovery. No wipe. Link in just a few. :)

EDIT: Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=21932995

Quoting myself to point out that I had been running the leaked 4.0.3 radios before flashing an alternate.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
I will go back and read through this thread, but can people post their BKMs for optimal battery life? How quickly does LTE come back if you select the option to turn it off after the screen has been off for X amount of time, etc?

- I'm probably going to stick with the stock AOKP kernel for now, and have set the governor to ondemand instead of interactive. Has anyone noticed any lag using ondemand? I am hoping it will save power, but not be too noticeable as far as lag goes.
- Does it also automatically drop the CPU clock rate when the screen is off? I was thinking about running SetCPU for that in the absence of a custom kernel. Thoughts on that?

- What are BKM's?
- I wouldn't use the power saver feature I still don't believe it is 100% stable for cdma yet. Developer uses a GSM
- interactive gov on stock is a much better experience overall
- Yes the kernel has a built in screen-off profile to 700MHz max I wouldn't use any screen off profiles in setCPU. However, other profiles would be fine like charging etc...

Did you go for M3 or build 21?

To add to what jkc said - I usually also wipe cache partition and dalvik. Personal preference but thought I'd put it out there. I actually wipe both of those anytime I flash anything

Me too!

Quoting myself to point out that I had been running the leaked 4.0.3 radios before flashing an alternate.

Important info thanks for that jmar ;)

B21 - is anyone else getting fc when trying to use video camera? I can use the camera just fine but video crashes

I guess this just started happening and it worked before? Could have been some of the flashing you've been doing possibly the kernel flash you did last night and this morn. Have you tried clearing data from the camera app? Maybe it's #21 telling you it is time to move on to M3 :p

Reactions: jmar and BabyBlues
Upvote 0
I guess this just started happening and it worked before? Could have been some of the flashing you've been doing possibly the kernel flash you did last night and this morn. Have you tried clearing data from the camera app? Maybe it's #21 telling you it is time to move on to M3 :p

I don't know when it started. The dog was doing dumb stuff and I wanted to record it.
But but but, I don't wanna go to M3. I wanna wait for B22. *said with a pout*

:D

Upvote 0
- What are BKM's?

Best Known Methods. Sorry, we use acronyms at work like crazy so I sometimes forget and use them liberally. :)

- I wouldn't use the power saver feature I still don't believe it is 100% stable for cdma yet. Developer uses a GSM
Ok, thanks for the heads up.

- interactive gov on stock is a much better experience overall
Yeah, I noticed settings transitions were a bit laggy with the ondemand scheduler. I was using the smartass scheduler in the Tiamat kernel on my dinc with cm7. I think that was the best of both worlds. I'll stick with interactive for now.

- Yes the kernel has a built in screen-off profile to 700MHz max I wouldn't use any screen off profiles in setCPU. However, other profiles would be fine like charging etc...
Ah ok, I guess there's no way to set the screen-off frequency then? Or is that just a function of the min cpu frequency setting?

Did you go for M3 or build 21?
I went for M3, only because "milestone" sounds more "stable" and it was a newer build date heh. :)

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
I don't know when it started. The dog was doing dumb stuff and I wanted to record it.
But but but, I don't wanna go to M3. I wanna wait for B22. *said with a pout*

:D

lol I know you want 22 j/k!

Have you ever done a fix permissions? You could try that, but I have to tell you to do a backup before doing so. I have had the nuttiest things happen to my phone doing a fixperm, but some swear by it ......

Upvote 0
Best Known Methods. Sorry, we use acronyms at work like crazy so I sometimes forget and use them liberally. :)

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I noticed settings transitions were a bit laggy with the ondemand scheduler. I was using the smartass scheduler in the Tiamat kernel on my dinc with cm7. I think that was the best of both worlds. I'll stick with interactive for now.

Ah ok, I guess there's no way to set the screen-off frequency then? Or is that just a function of the min cpu frequency setting?

I went for M3, only because "milestone" sounds more "stable" and it was a newer build date heh. :)

Aha bkm got it now thx!

Yup Interactive gov was re-written it's not the one we knew with the Inc. I ran SA with the Inc but with Chads. My wife runs SA (but doesn't know it) and my father-in-law does as well. It's mint on the Inc!

Sure you can set the screen off profile with setCPU to 350MHz if you'd like. It's not beneficial, but I would come to your own conclusion with that.

They're all good, really! I like M3 a lot good choice :D

Upvote 0
lol I know you want 22 j/k!

Have you ever done a fix permissions? You could try that, but I have to tell you to do a backup before doing so. I have had the nuttiest things happen to my phone doing a fixperm, but some swear by it ......

I don't actually need the video . Lol. Just wanted to see if it was only me.

Upvote 0
Well I got Treated Right over the past couple days by some good peeps here and at aver at RootsWiki. And in grande fashion.

I have been wanting a larger icon status bar look for a while and Jbdan stepped in full force and after some vain efforts on both our parts he suggested I check with Zaphod-Beeblebrox over at RootzWiki.

Lots of good things happen in ROMS but most are tailored for a hand held experience, and not while driving. I drive ALLOT! And I have to view status just as much. And the phone has to stay on the dash or I can get ticketed.
Catching drivers texting or messaging while driving is like harvesting a 300 pound Blue Marlin to these LEO's around here. And wait until your Ins Co sees that!
Not to mention us hurting each other because we were squinting at a screen. Now I can see if I am 3 or 4G, the battery level, and signal stats and a fast glance.

I had to move to M3 to run it and am loving it. I just finished setting the phone back up and a nandroid is running now.

The only thing I see to note to Zaphod is the text on the toggles is a tad large. Heh! I'm not that blind, but Tahnk You Sir.. The screen shot you see at the link below is with the toggle screen pulled down.

I asked for something that would aid towards safe driving and old wrinkled eyes and BOY did I get taken care of.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones