• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [OLD]Sprint to Virgin Mobile LTE/MMS FIX [OLD]

Rate how the mods worked for you

• AOSP Version 1 worked (LTE / 3G / MMS / Internet)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AOSP Version 1 partially worked

• AOSP Version 2 partially worked

• TW Version 1 partially worked

• Total voters
I can test it. Haven't tried any CM/AOSP roms yet though. Is there a preferred CM build/nightly or other rom that has the best compatability?

any one that has working lte on sprint. if the spring lte works virgin should, if it doesnt work for them though there is no chance of this fixing it. as long as its for the same exact model phone it should be good to go

Upvote 0
I developed for the HTC One V (for virgin mobile cdma) and just got this phone because 4x the ram sounded wonderful. I have good LTE coverage where I live so I'm hoping we can eventually reach this goal and am willing to report my findings with this mod and sprint roms.

:rolleyes: And to this guy:
any one that has working lte on sprint. if the spring lte works virgin should, if it doesnt work for them though there is no chance of this fixing it. as long as its for the same exact model phone it should be good to go

Sounds like you really understand more than anyone else here about Sprint's network, Virgin Mobile's network, the differences between them, and the device in general. Thanks for the useful information and the logical explanations of your in-depth findings. :D

Reactions: slogold
Upvote 0
Ok guys I came out with Universal CM/AOSP Version 3

I went with the concept of KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

This APN config has .... 3 lines. That's it. I need someone in a LTE area to test it. I get 3G almost instantly with it set to CMDA+LTE/EVDO

The way the lines are formed it isn't set to LTE (or EHRPD) - so I'm not sure if LTE will even work with it. I tested 4 ROMs and it worked on everyone though.

Please advised what worked, what didnt, and what ROM you are on or tried it with.

Well I flashed the modified Carbon ROM you posted the other day, and then I flashed version 3 over it. It didn't fix LTE, matter of fact when I switched back to stock MG2_Ryder I had not access to 4G LTE... All I have now is 3G... :( Can you please help?

Edit: My bad, all I had to do was change the network mode back to CDMA/LTE/EVDO and 4G LTE came back. I guess I panicked and blanked out for a bit. lol

Upvote 0
Well I flashed the modified Carbon ROM you posted the other day, and then I flashed version 3 over it. It didn't fix LTE, matter of fact when I switched back to stock MG2_Ryder I had not access to 4G LTE... All I have now is 3G... :( Can you please help?

Edit: My bad, all I had to do was change the network mode back to CDMA/LTE/EVDO and 4G LTE came back. I guess I panicked and blanked out for a bit. lol

For the sake of knowing - did it have working 3G with MMS both directions?

Upvote 0
Using moped rom with moar mod and TWv2 fix I have working 3g and mms (I sent one to myself and it received it, I'm assuming that means it works) but no 4g. When mobile network is set to cmda only everything works great. If set to lte/cmda when in a 4g covered area I get no data service. However when set to cdma only in that same place I will get 3g coverage.

Upvote 0
ok as far as the modem stuff you probably will need to follow all instructions posted to get sprint lte working. as long as the hardware is the same it should work fine. example, im on a sprint s2 with boost service, rom, and firmware. but anyhow back to you guys. im gonna make a variation of the fix, try my luck. check back in 20

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
ok here are my latest attempts

same scripts from the newest versions only difference is the apn itself. so if the network mode was wrong then it will still be wrong. find out what settings the sprint version uses to get lte and use those, should be identical

Thru my trials I found "n.vmu.ispsn" didnt send/receive MMS. What I did was remove the "n" and it may have worked. I changed it to:

"vmu.ispsn" (Edit didnt work)

I also re-added the stock APNs for backup. What I have found it stuff that works for me seems not to work for others. CM/AOSP Universal Release 4 posted

<Removed Link>

For testers in LTE areas: (First boot give it a few min to redo telephony database)

When the 3G or such icon shows up goto: Settings > More .... (Under Wireless & Networks) > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names

In Access Point Names see if any of the dots are highlighted. If none are try to press the circle next to the "APN2 Virgin Mobile LTE" to highlight it. After that give it a good 3-5min to try and connect. Then report

<< Turn off Wifi to test this please >>

Upvote 0
What about if it never connects to 3G? I've still got the problem where I don't get data unless I switch it to CDMA only.

Also, when I flash these someone mentioned that I should wipe data every time. I've been doing this: Wipe data > Flash CM 10.2 > Boot > Wait a few minutes > Wipe data > Flash fix > Boot

That sound right?

Upvote 0
Thru my trials I found "n.vmu.ispsn" didnt send/receive MMS. What I did was remove the "n" and it may have worked. I changed it to:

"vmu.ispsn"

I also re-added the stock APNs for backup. What I have found it stuff that works for me seems not to work for others. CM/AOSP Universal Release 4 posted

CM-AOSP_D2VMU_APN_FIX-R4

For testers in LTE areas: (First boot give it a few min to redo telephony database)

When the 3G or such icon shows up goto: Settings > More .... (Under Wireless & Networks) > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names

In Access Point Names see if any of the dots are highlighted. If none are try to press the circle next to the "APN2 Virgin Mobile LTE" to highlight it. After that give it a good 3-5min to try and connect. Then report

<< Turn off Wifi to test this please >>

Will try this when I get home, which ROM should I try it with? Post links and I'll try a few.

Upvote 0
ok here are my latest attempts

cm/aosp
http://unleashedprepaids.com/upload/devs/junkie2100/CM-AOSP_D2VMU_APN_FIX-J2.zip

touchwiz
http://unleashedprepaids.com/upload/devs/junkie2100/TW_D2VMU_APN_FIX-J2.zip

same scripts from the newest versions only difference is the apn itself. so if the network mode was wrong then it will still be wrong. find out what settings the sprint version uses to get lte and use those, should be identical

On CM10.2 i get LTE but no MMS

Upvote 0
ok well that would be an iszue woth cm10.1 i guess. see if they had any special instructions for getting data to work

also az i said network mode is questionable so check into that and into mms addresses and ports and such. glad yo hear lte works now just gotta combine the mms fix with the lte fix lol

Lol right now it's a choice between LTE or MMS.

Upvote 0
my recommendation, delete lines from the mms one one at a time till you figure out what one has the right mms settings, then plug em in with the values i found. the tw may need more work but cm shouldnt be too difficult hopefully. ive done about all i can do without the device but youre almosy there and ill keep tabs on things. what seems to matter is the n.vmu.ispsn for lte the rest should be adjustable

Upvote 0
Is there a 10.2 stable build of CM?

If you mean an official stable build, no. But cm nightlies are notoriously fairly reliable - just look at the changelog before flashing. Only one 10.2 build has caused any problems for me and that was the one where they forgot to include essential files by mistake. I'm currently running 9/28 and can vouch for it, but I assume the latest build is ok.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones