• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [OLD]Sprint to Virgin Mobile LTE/MMS FIX [OLD]

Rate how the mods worked for you

• AOSP Version 1 worked (LTE / 3G / MMS / Internet)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AOSP Version 1 partially worked

• AOSP Version 2 partially worked

• TW Version 1 partially worked

• Total voters
Ok guys I need some confirmation here. Those in LTE areas please test and report back. Tell me the ROM and what worked. Ive used the latest CM 10.2 nightly

This should have working LTE (but MMS prob doesn't work)
CM-AOSP_D2VMU_APN_FIX-LTE

This should have working MMS but prob only on 3G settings:
CM-AOSP_D2VMU_APN_FIX-MMS_3G

Thanks

For those who want to fiddle with it. The difference between the two is only a few letters. The the apn is set to: n.vmu.ispsn LTE will work. When not it defaults to the "Sprint Global" APN setting and downshifts to 3G.

Reactions: Protomize
Upvote 0
ok heres the deal, if you guys can tell me which version of the cm/aosp fix gets you mms, i can try to take a look at it. also if you can start deleting lines one at a time till it breaks. factory resetting or removing the apn in data every time, find out what settings actually make it work, then you can make your own. will it take an hour or two? yes, but itll work. and no im not sifting through all of the tw apn you guys are gonna have to work that out on your own

Upvote 0
if version R3 gave mms, its gotta be a bad proxy, mmsc server, and or login info

Yea Ive been trying to hammer that down on what it is. Here is what happens:

Out of the entire apns file these lines are the ones that the phones connect with:

Code:
	<apn carrier="Virgin Mobile LTE" mcc="310" mnc="120" [B]apn="n.vmu.ispsn"[/B] type="default,supl,mms" user="Sprint" server="*" password="*" proxy="" port="" mmsproxy="205.239.233.136" mmsport="81" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" protocol="IPV4V6" roaming_protocol="IPV4V6" bearer="14" />

or

<apn carrier="Sprint Global" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="cinet.spcs" type="default,supl,mms,dun,fota" user="Sprint" server="*" password="*" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="205.239.233.136" mmsport="81" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" protocol="IPV4V6" roaming_protocol="IPV4V6" />

When the apn="n.vmu.ispsn" is list the phone will use that APN line and LTE is working. If you change it to for example: apn="n.ispsn" the phone then defaults to the "Sprint Global" settings. MMS then works but no LTE. Note if you put bearer="14" on the Sprint Global line it will no longer connect.

So the login / port / proxy works in the Sprint Global apn line when phone uses that - but doesn't work with the LTE line (n.vmu.ispsn)

Upvote 0
well if youre sure mms works using that apn setting, just duplicate it and change the apn to n.vmu.ispsn

actually i see no difference that could effect it other than bearer. you must have the wrong apn or something, maybe the wrong proxy. what its using for network may not be what its using for mms in that case. the tw rom has too many entries to tell, we need someone to test cm/aosp r3 and see which lines work if any

Upvote 0
well if youre sure mms works using that apn setting, just duplicate it and change the apn to n.vmu.ispsn

actually i see no difference that could effect it other than bearer. you must have the wrong apn or something, maybe the wrong proxy. what its using for network may not be what its using for mms in that case. the tw rom has too many entries to tell, we need someone to test cm/aosp r3 and see which lines work if any

Each time I enter mms onto the n.vmu.ispsn line it doesn't work.

What I tried was to create two lines. One for Internet (n.vmu.ispsn) and one for MMS (cinet.spcs) - but I had to remove the "bearer" lines thus it may not work under LTE conditions.

Code:
	<apn carrier="APN1 Virgin Mobile Internet" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.vmu.ispsn" user="Sprint" server="*" password="*" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="205.239.233.136" mmsport="81" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" type="default,supl" /> 
	<apn carrier="APN2 Virgin Mobile MMS" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="cinet.spcs" user="Sprint" server="*" password="*" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="205.239.233.136" mmsport="81" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" type="fota,dun,mms" />

Someone in an LTE area test this please - also if it doesnt work in LTE switch to CDMA/EvDo Auto and try again.

Note to all: Not that I think it would make any difference but Im on a factory MG2 phone. I have not flashed any MD7 Firmware.

Upvote 0
I've got MMS send & receive working on TW fix 3. 4G is not working though. I posted it in your moped rom post, but it's probably relevant here. I don't think it has to do with flashing these fixes because I have been flashing a ton of them and 4G has always returned with a nandroid. After flashing the Moped rom though I got a sim card error and since then have not been able to regain 4G using every rom on here (even stock). Is there anything besides APNs that could cause this, something deeper in the firmware I guess?

Upvote 0
I've got MMS send & receive working on TW fix 3. 4G is not working though. I posted it in your moped rom post, but it's probably relevant here. I don't think it has to do with flashing these fixes because I have been flashing a ton of them and 4G has always returned with a nandroid. After flashing the Moped rom though I got a sim card error and since then have not been able to regain 4G using every rom on here (even stock). Is there anything besides APNs that could cause this, something deeper in the firmware I guess?

Not sure why the sim card error. The fix only really replaces a file and clears the telephony database.

Upvote 0
try the other mmsc from stock. just the http://mmsc.vmobl.com with the different proxies and ports kuz we dont even use the cinet on boost, sprint global shoildnt apply since youre not.global roaming. maybe the whole issue is routing it through that server in the first place

Yeap Ive tried that http://mmsc.vmobl.com in so many combos its not funny. What I have found in hours of testing:

MMS will not work without the cinet line. At least never has for me.

If "mms" is included with the n.vmu.ispsn line it would work (MMS wont LTE will). I would agree its a port/proxy/address/username/password issue.

Needle....meet haystack.

Ive tried to run logcats as well - didnt really give any usable info. When running the Force CM ROM what APN lights up? (Settings > More... > Mobile networks > Access Point Names)

After hours of Google searching I have found no one really knows the Virgin US settings. Its not posted anywhere from what I can tell - just shots in the dark like mine.

Upvote 0
Code:
 <apn type="default,mms" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com" mmsprotocol="null" mmsport="null" mmsproxy="null" port="" proxy="" password="" server="" user="" apn="n.vmu.ispsn" mnc="120" mcc="310" numeric="310120" name="APN2 EHRPD internet"/></apns>

try that info see what happens, if ots anything like boost which i assume it is that should work if plugged into my cm/aosp fix. also double check the other mmsc kuz ive seen ot done with a :8088 and :8080 depending on the situation

and pay close aytention to the password and stuff, * is not always equal to leaving it blank

Upvote 0
O

I had a similar issue with no 4g on my restored nandroid or any rom I flashed. I had to flash mg2 ryder and 4g returned. Try updating profile on a virgin mobile rom. I also use an older version or apn backup and restore found on xda to restore stock apns when issues like this occur.

Upvote 0
Well apparently I never actually lost 4G functionality on my phone. For some reason i'm just not getting 4G in my house anymore. It worked fine when I went out earlier. Maybe they're working on a nearby tower or something. Just happened to coincide with the time that I was flashing roms last night. Not going to be able to test 4G fixes until that tower comes back online.

Upvote 0
After hours of Google searching I have found no one really knows the Virgin US settings. Its not posted anywhere from what I can tell - just shots in the dark like mine.

MMS & 4G LTE Confirmed Working on latest fix!!!!!

Hardware/Firmware: SPH-L710 (Originally MD7 Base) Had been upgraded to MG2 Bootloader & Baseband.

Recovery: d2spr version CWM 6.0.3.1 Download Here

ROM Flashed: [ROM] [4.3] Slim Bean (d2spr) --- Slim-d2spr-4.3.build.1.4-WEEKLY-1135

FIX Flashed (After Initial Reboot): CM-AOSP_D2VMU_APN_FIX-LTE

I attached a screenshot with proof of me sending a MMS to myself...

Also I used LTE in Georgetown University in DC as a tether and a square credit card reader all day long with extremely consistent and reliable signal and ping time.

Try What i have used, it may work for some of you....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-02-20-03-25.png
    Screenshot_2013-10-02-20-03-25.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0
Interesting. I get LTE when the ROM is bare, but as soon I install my Nandroid data backup, mobile data connection vanished. No LTE, no 3G...

just use creative ways to restore the data you want.... Like using 3rd party apps such as: Root Explorer, Titanium Backup, and sms backup/restore. There couldn't possibly be much unique data that need to be restored

Restoring a data partition can many times lead to errors in aftermarket custom ROMs... Always better to flash and run clean, then find a way to restore your data piece by piece....

Upvote 0
Punk, after still working ok?

I'm assuming that you're asking me if the rom is still running well...?
If so, then the answer is yes! I am still running Slim ROM and loving every minute of my freedom from touchwiz....

The Camera seems to work flawlessly for all of my testing.

Calling and speakerphone seem to work fine as well as all other aspects of audio; using headphones and speaker.

I used maps, navigation and gps intensively today with no issues at all.

The all over feel of the phone is much better and the LTE seems to connect faster and more often than touchwiz on my ride down 270 & 495 toward DC then stayed connected more consistently than this phone has ever been able to handle before.

-----Not sure if this reply helps... hope is does------

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones