• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Virus forces app downloads and shuts off my sisters tablet

Fillisel

Lurker
Feb 15, 2016
Hi,

My sister owns a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 2 (10.1) and she has a virus on it. The virus installs unwanted apps, and it goes on the lock screen after a while. When I try to delete anything, it locks me out and restarts. I can't restart it in safe mode and it has been set back to factory settings. If I try to unlock the screen it restarts too. I have a short amount of time to look into the task manager before it restarts, when I go to downloaded apps it shows a lot of virus apps (Sexy girls being one of them). The apps were never installed on there by my sister or anyone else in the family. When I try anything (Clear RAM, delete any app that causes it, etc) it stops responding. It shows ads everywhere and more apps that weren't downloaded by anyone.

When it restarts, it automatically asks how I want to install apps, when I close this it opens up again. The tablet is almost fully unresponsive and all I can do is press any of the 3 lower buttons (Task manager, Home screen, back button) before it restarts.

The virus got on it a few days ago when my sister was away from home, where she reset it. She also went into her settings, but got told she has no permission to do anything. I personally can't get into the settings simply because it forces me out and restarts.
The only app that I can see is 360 Security, and when it asks me to install an app it gives me one of two options: complete action with APUS or Touchwiz-start.
I would appreciate any help.

Greetings,

Kieran

Hi all, quick update here.

After countless attempts to delete any apps I finally deleted APUS. The tablet didn't ask permission to install any apps, instead it just installed them.
This gave me the opportunity to access the settings, and delete more stuff in task manager. After deleting almost everything on it, I could access stuff like settings and swipe across the screen. There was also a lockscreen app, which basically overloaded the tablet every time I unlocked it. After that the force restarts stopped, and naturally I went into settings and tried to factory reset it. This didn't work the few times, but after deleting every app in the "downloaded" tab, I finally got it to reset.

As of this moment, well.. it is stuck at the language select after a factory reset. I have to go to sleep now, but seeing that the tablet responded after leaving it alone for a day, I'll check back tomorrow to see if it works. Thanks to anybody who tried helping, I appreciate it.

Kieran

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones