• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Warning to folks that attempt updating to TNT Lite 5.0!

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
IMO, should only be attempted by hardcore techies (or folks that like living on the edge). At least for now, the simple update days are over. it is NOT a simple process that has minimal risk of failure and bricking the device.

Read roebeet's first page VERY carefully, since need to go to stock rom first and even Clockwork mod needs updating and can NOT be used in the process to get TNT Lite 5.0 on the device.

Roebeet is a legend for the G, but the Viewsonic firmware caused the need for a more complex and hazardous update process. Kudos to roebeet for doing the update, none the less :)

I am not going to update, since the brick or "get stuck" factor is a lot higher than normal. My G works fine with 4.2 level, so 5.0 will have to wait for if there ever is a less risky update path.

added: The actual process is not "that bad", but people are running into problems and some are due to not reading the first page CAREFULLY.

IMO, should only be attempted by hardcore techies (or folks that like living on the edge). At least for now, the simple update days are over. it is NOT a simple process that has minimal risk of failure and bricking the device.

Read roebeet's first page VERY carefully, since need to go to stock rom first and even Clockwork mod needs updating and can NOT be used in the process to get TNT Lite 5.0 on the device.

Roebeet is a legend for the G, but the Viewsonic firmware caused the need for a more complex and hazardous update process. Kudos to roebeet for doing the update, none the less :)

I am not going to update, since the brick or "get stuck" factor is a lot higher than normal. My G works fine with 4.2 level, so 5.0 will have to wait for if there ever is a less risky update path.

I was really interested since he named it 5.0 (i thought it would be a major upgrade)but I didn't see anything that made me want to leave Vegan and my current set up. Here's the changelog.

Changelog:

- (5.0.0+) Based on 3991 build, new requirement to run (stock build 3588, including their recovery - see instructions for details). Most enhancements removed as they are no longer required, new lockscreen, added Xoom boot animation. Camera portrait mode has also been fixed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones