• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's your favorite MLB team?

It's not Jeter's fault that he plays for the greatest sports franchise in sports fantasy.

FTFY. I couldn't resist:D

As far a Jeter goes, you are absolutely right he wouldn't have the same profile if he were in KC. He probably wouldn't have 5 rings either. You could probably argue the Yankees wouldn't have had 5 Championships also had he been in KC. Many SS's have had better seasons, a few have had a better stretch of 3 or more seasons, but Jeter still has been one of the best shortstops over the last 18 years or so he has been playing. I'm a huge Red Sox fan, and I hold Jeter in high regard.

Upvote 0
It's not Jeter's fault that he plays for the greatest sports franchise in sports history.

Yes many years ago they were but now the yanks are just a team with an overbloated pay role.

We're talking about history, not current standing. However, I will agree that we're just mediocre these days in comparison to the kind of money we typically spend.

Interesting... :thinking:

What's interesting about it? It's the truth. There are no storied franchises in any sport that have been as successful as the Yankees.

Upvote 0
FTFY. I couldn't resist:D

As far a Jeter goes, you are absolutely right he wouldn't have the same profile if he were in KC. He probably wouldn't have 5 rings either. You could probably argue the Yankees wouldn't have had 5 Championships also had he been in KC. Many SS's have had better seasons, a few have had a better stretch of 3 or more seasons, but Jeter still has been one of the best shortstops over the last 18 years or so he has been playing. I'm a huge Red Sox fan, and I hold Jeter in high regard.

Most selfish, overrated player in baseball history. He'd rather play shortstop on crutches than let a decent defensive shortstop play there. Arod was a MUCH better shortstop than Jeter ever was when Arod went to Yanks but Saint Jeter couldn't move over.

Upvote 0
Most selfish, overrated player in baseball history. He'd rather play shortstop on crutches than let a decent defensive shortstop play there. Arod was a MUCH better shortstop than Jeter ever was when Arod went to Yanks but Saint Jeter couldn't move over.

Last time I checked, we have NOBODY that can provide solid offense & defense at Short. I'd rather have poor defense in Jeter, but can still hit than have a guy like Brendan Ryan manning SS daily and putting up hat tricks on a daily basis.

However, I will agree that A-Rod was the better SS at the time of the trade. That is all irrelevant now since Jeter is retiring.

What the Yanks need to do is give our youngsters a chance. We've got budding stars just sitting in the minors waiting to be unleashed. I can't wait to see Judge, Refsnyder, Jagielo, and Severino reach the bigs.

:facepalm:The only thing that didn't implode for the Sox was the pitching this year, and we just traded every effective starter we have. Oh, and Stephen Drew for the equivalent of a bag of balls (.216 hitter on the DL). I'll be hard pressed to name the opening day starter next year.

At least you got Cespedes :p

(That trade was FUBAR) On a side note, Beane is not playing any games. He wants to win and win now.

Upvote 0
Which is crazy when you think about it. O's are looking like that new gritty team. However, like you said.. playoffs aren't going to go so well

Yeah we definitely have that never say die attitude, which won't amount to much in the playoffs, I don't think. Our pitching is weak, we're without a everyday catcher and 2nd basement...we just fill in holes and it seems like whoever we put there does something to help us win.

Upvote 0
Yeah we definitely have that never say die attitude, which won't amount to much in the playoffs, I don't think. Our pitching is weak, we're without a everyday catcher and 2nd basement...we just fill in holes and it seems like whoever we put there does something to help us win.

I mean, it's worked throughout the regular season for you guys. It's just going to be rough going up against the teams that have stacked (or quality) pitching like the A's (Shark, Lester, Gray, and Kazmir), Tigers (Scherzer, Verlander, and Price), or Angels (Weaver, Richards, and Wilson).

EDIT: With about 36 games left of the season for my Yanks, I'm curious how we'll end up. We're certainly not playing much like a playoff contending team, but we do have a ton (27 to be exact) of interdivisional games left against the O's, Rays, Blue Jays, and Red Sox. I guess it's not over until it's over.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm headed to my first postseason game ever. I was 4 years old when the Royals last made it. I don't remember anything about it. I hadn't been introduced to baseball yet, and we had only been in KC for a couple of years; my dad grew up in that other Missouri city so he hadn't come anywhere close to adopting the Royals back then. We'll be rocking blue today, though.

I had nightmares all last night about Jon Lester. Man, I hope he's got just one sucky game in him.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm headed to my first postseason game ever. I was 4 years old when the Royals last made it. I don't remember anything about it. I hadn't been introduced to baseball yet, and we had only been in KC for a couple of years; my dad grew up in that other Missouri city so he hadn't come anywhere close to adopting the Royals back then. We'll be rocking blue today, though.

I had nightmares all last night about Jon Lester. Man, I hope he's got just one sucky game in him.
Congrats, man. There's nothing like going to some postseason baseball games. As a native New Yorker and devout Yankees fan, I've had the opportunity to go to many over the years (including 1998, 2000, and 2009 World Series). Sadly, I fear those days are long over for us.

Upvote 0
I sense a STL/KC world series in our future... if Kc can make it that far....
Go Cards:D

While I'm sure that folks from Missouri would love that - I don't think that will happen. Royals are certainly a gritty team, but I just don't know how they'll put up against juggernaut squads like Detroit or LA Angels.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones