• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which carriers have and have not updated the Nexus One

Hmmm, how to put this sympathetically??

If you obtained your phone at no cost to yourself other than some sort of calls etc inclusive contact that you'd get with any phone, then I don't think it's out of line that your supplier gives you a compromised service compared with those who bore the full cost of the phone from their own pocket.

I don't feel (and hope I never do) that google sold out on their original "at source" purchasers.
Way I see it - we were pioneers; a phone had never been sold in this way before - it was a leap of faith to buy a (as it was in the first few days) a phone with not much pedigree from a website in a foreign land (no offence intended, lovely usa-ians).

I'm not intending a game of one-upmanship, far from it, but the carriers prob want a bit back, and they'll get it by withholding updates so's you "buy" (read - continue your expensive contract) a new phone.
At least with nexus one you have the root option.

Cheers :cool:

Upvote 0
@Soupdragon: the flaw in your argument is that to get the phone at a subsidized price you must sign a contract, and to get out of the contract you must pay an early termination fee, so whether you buy the phone outright at the beginning, or buy it on contract, the cost of the phone is covered.

That said, the real purpose of my original post was to determine whether or not Videotron was alone in holding up this update, or if in fact Videotron is the problem, or if Google is holding it back for certain customers.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, how to put this sympathetically??

If you obtained your phone at no cost to yourself other than some sort of calls etc inclusive contact that you'd get with any phone, then I don't think it's out of line that your supplier gives you a compromised service compared with those who bore the full cost of the phone from their own pocket.

I don't feel (and hope I never do) that google sold out on their original "at source" purchasers.
Way I see it - we were pioneers; a phone had never been sold in this way before - it was a leap of faith to buy a (as it was in the first few days) a phone with not much pedigree from a website in a foreign land (no offence intended, lovely usa-ians).

I'm not intending a game of one-upmanship, far from it, but the carriers prob want a bit back, and they'll get it by withholding updates so's you "buy" (read - continue your expensive contract) a new phone.
At least with nexus one you have the root option.

Cheers :cool:

Then that is NOT a true Nexus phone. The main selling feature of the Nexus phones the update from Google. Take that away...and it's no different than any other phones on the market. I find it quite disgusting really :/

Upvote 0
@Soupdragon: the flaw in your argument is that to get the phone at a subsidized price you must sign a contract, and to get out of the contract you must pay an early termination fee, so whether you buy the phone outright at the beginning, or buy it on contract, the cost of the phone is covered.

That said, the real purpose of my original post was to determine whether or not Videotron was alone in holding up this update, or if in fact Videotron is the problem, or if Google is holding it back for certain customers.

As has been pointed out, if you have a Carrier branded ROM, they have customized the ROM. They, not Google, control when the update comes because they take the update and modify it with their crap and then must test it. The Google updates are available on their servers.

You can root and unlock the bootloader and wipe the device and install the Google update. Or go to something like Cyanogen Mod. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the carrier. Your carrier might be better or worse, but I guarantee you they all do it. That's part of why I went for the Google N1 in the first place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones