• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why aren't we in tapatalk yet?

Optimizing an Android App isn't as easy as we thought. We have a new version of the app that is pretty awesome in terms of Phandroid and the News angle, but there are a lot of "issues" to work out in terms of forum implementation.

We could essentially:

(1) Wait to release it until we think it kicks ass
(2) Release a half ass version and get pummeled with negativity
(3) Release a beta to a small portion of the community, with the idea that it will have lots of bugs but you can contribute to the "fix this" list

I've been hoping for #3 but so many of the things on the list are so obvious that it's almost counter-productive to get flooded with comments/suggestions/bug-fixes that we already know exist.

So I guess I'm open to your opinions. We want to get something out there sooner rather than later but hey- we've been saying that for quite awhile. I know you guys are eager for the hookup so let's hear your thoughts on the above.

Upvote 0
Optimizing an Android App isn't as easy as we thought. We have a new version of the app that is pretty awesome in terms of Phandroid and the News angle, but there are a lot of "issues" to work out in terms of forum implementation.

We could essentially:

(3) Release a beta to a small portion of the community, with the idea that it will have lots of bugs but you can contribute to the "fix this" list

I've been hoping for #3 but so many of the things on the list are so obvious that it's almost counter-productive to get flooded with comments/suggestions/bug-fixes that we already know exist.

So I guess I'm open to your opinions. We want to get something out there sooner rather than later but hey- we've been saying that for quite awhile. I know you guys are eager for the hookup so let's hear your thoughts on the above.
I'd be down for #3. As long as one of those bugs isn't epic battery drain ;)

Upvote 0

We could essentially:

I agree with waiting until the product is finished. But, I would gladly beta test regardless of what the bugs are. May be just enough to help your app developer move things in the right direction.

I beg you not to do #2. LOL

Upvote 0
I would be all for #3, and I'm guessing a lot of other people would be too. Short of it blowing up my phone I'd put up with bugs. (And even then I'd be tempted :p).

You could always create a known issues list before releasing it and ask people not to report bugs on the list. (Whether or not they'd listen is debatable though....).

Upvote 0
I'd give #3 a try. I am a bit biased as it would make it more likely that I'd use the site more again. Checking back every so often to see if you've gotten with the program works but I feel like I am missing the chance to watch some of the younger members of this site grow up before my eyes.

Next thing you know, Roxors will be back from the sandbox (oh, wait) I mean Frisco will be telling us about his grandkids and Ofthedamned will have switched from vampire to cougar.

At least Eyebeam will still be funny.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones