• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why did you choose Android instead of IOS?

£$€¥¢$$£$$$$$$$$£€¥$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
We used Apple computers in Photoshop class. Didn't like the fact of no file extensions. Couldn't figure out where stuff went when I used Save rather than Save as. PS mostly worked the same cross platforming. I got the same results using 98SE and Canon, rather than a Mac and Epson. Figured Apple was overhyped and haven't changed my mind since.

Upvote 0
I am pretty sure that if I had or could afford a Mac I would have got an iPhone, but I believe android played better with Windows when they were first coming out and now I know android so well it's just easier for me. I also believe that the iPhone's are over priced just add some androids are. Fortunately there are android phones for every price range.

Upvote 0
I love that with my old Roku that I got on sale years ago I can still just throw a movie to the tv and watch it on the big screen. I will get a Samsung tv when I can afford it. I have the s2 tablet, the new classic watch and the 27th until the s8 comes out if I don't like that I'll just hold onto my 27th.

Upvote 0
iPhone too small, not even free I'd take it.

just last night, while trying to get the kinks out of my hip bones, I stopped at the cellphone display in the Walmart here..... when I looked at those playtoys, I thought to myself, "why the hell would anyone want one of these?"

I opened up my Note 4 and placed it next to the display, what a difference.
My folders are arranged in a logical manner, their apps are scattered all over the place, and spread out over separate windows...

nope, they will never see a penny of my wallet's contents.

Upvote 0
I am pretty sure that if I had or could afford a Mac I would have got an iPhone, but I believe android played better with Windows when they were first coming out and now I know android so well it's just easier for me. I also believe that the iPhone's are over priced just add some androids are. Fortunately there are android phones for every price range.
I do use Macs, but I've never had a problem using my Android phones with them, nor iOS devices with Windows.

But to be fair, I'm not a brand loyalist, and am very averse to the idea of being "locked in" to any particular manufacturer or even platform. So my requirements for interoperation between different items are limited to "how well does this work with open standards or cross-platform services?", and proprietary features that only work between 2 devices from the same manufacturer are irrelevant in any purchasing decisions I make (hence my laptop, desktop, phone, tablet, TV, various media players are all made by different companies - though one of my cameras is made by the same people as my TV, but that is pure happenstance)

Last edited:
Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
Love for Linux.
Physical keyboard (which I ended up never using).
More customization.
Apple was/is too controlling about apps, environment, access to features.
Android device manufacturers and developers, even in the beginning, were better about adding new features and bells and whistles.
I liked the aesthetics better (I could have minimal apps on the home screen and use the app drawer)
I found Android to be more user friendly and easier to use.
Frankly things were where I expected them to be and I didn't have to go searching or learning how to use it (first time I picked it up I knew what I was doing which wasn't true with Blackberry or iPhone).
I hated iPods so why would I want a phone based off that.

Upvote 0
I had to choose back in 2010, and at that time the iPhone had a bad camera, severely limited storage for the price point, can't multitask, etc.

Basically I was upgrading from a Nokia 5800XM and the only thing the iPhone at that time have over the feature set of my old phone was a faster processor. Went with a Galaxy S and never looked back.

Upvote 0
I've always been A Windowe/Linux guy. My first smartphone was an Android since I can just plug and play it on my windows desktop computer or my Linux laptop. It was still a Froyo device from HTC. Then I bought a Sensation. That's where I got accustomed to rooting.

I never really liked the idea of someone telling me what I can and can't do on a device that I paid for and owned. So iOS devices never appealed to me with their restrictions.

Now I still have my rooted HTC sensation working after 4yrs. With 5 other android phones in my collection aside from 2 tablets. It's been an awesome experience for me.

Reactions: zuben el genub
Upvote 0
I had to choose back in 2010, and at that time the iPhone had a bad camera, severely limited storage for the price point, can't multitask, etc.

Basically I was upgrading from a Nokia 5800XM and the only thing the iPhone at that time have over the feature set of my old phone was a faster processor. Went with a Galaxy S and never looked back.

Those Nokia phones were great. I remember a rating on Digital Photography review where they shot a short movie on the N9. Raving about the color, clarity, etc.
Old Nokias used Zeiss lenses.

You could also customize Symbian.

Upvote 0
At the time, I picked Android over iOS because iPhones weren't available for any prepaid carriers, and it was $1000 without a mandatory contract versus $100 for a $250 valued Android on Black Friday. I appreciated the usability of the unit. An actual keyboard versus that soft keyboard on such a tiny screen. A removable battery that was then given an extended battery upgrade, granting me four days of usable life per charge, versus the famously awful 2 hour battery life of an iPhone then.

Nowadays, Android does feel rather shitty. Effing ads intruding and interfering with everything, along with eroding smaller and smaller batteries, and far less options for phones designed to allow extended batteries. Just with YouTube alone, you're shoved an ad the first time you click a video, and every five minutes within it; another ad between videos, but then the thing wants to take half a minute to actually load a video. You have Chrome, which seems to be the only browser on Android allowed to render pages correctly. But at the cost of necessary extensions being flat out banned from it, despite no technical reason to do such a thing.

Then you have phone makers making it purposely difficult to root the phone, so you could use the apps that actually can ferret out the ads that Google pulled from their storefront.

Now, everyone's so obsessed with copying the iPhone down to the hardware. Throwaway phones with throwaway batteries, high prices, and even faster obsolescence with it being ignored for updates within 90 days of when you actually buy it. And warranty service that goes out of its way to find any and every way to avoid actually honoring it. Like I have with my MXPE...:(

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
...And warranty service that goes out of its way to find any and every way to avoid actually honoring it. Like I have with my MXPE...:(

One of the few advantages of going the iPhone route over ANY android smartphone is the customer service you get at the app store. It's a straight swappover in minutes with a device still under warranty, and sometimes beyond the warranty.

That was one of my main fears when I defected to android. What adventure do I have to go on if something goes wrong with the hardware? Apparently a big adventure with lots of twists and turns.

Upvote 0
One of the few advantages of going the iPhone route over ANY android smartphone is the customer service you get at the app store. It's a straight swappover in minutes with a device still under warranty, and sometimes beyond the warranty.

That was one of my main fears when I defected to android. What adventure do I have to go on if something goes wrong with the hardware? Apparently a big adventure with lots of twists and turns.
Seems to me that depends a lot on where you are. I've never had issues with warranty claims on the few times I had to, but then I'm not in the US.

Upvote 0
Seems to me that depends a lot on where you are. I've never had issues with warranty claims on the few times I had to, but then I'm not in the US.
I'm not in the US either. What I'm saying is, you can't just take your Note5 to a Samsung store like you can an Apple Store and swap it over right then and there. There are more hoops to jump through. Apple really do set the marker when it comes to customer service of this kind. That's one of the reasons why people stick with them.

Upvote 0
I don't even remember to be honest...If my memory serves me right, I chose Android over iOS because I was on boost mobile at the time and Boost weren't selling iphones at all at that time and I was tired of my blackberry so I chose my first Android which was the ZTE warp it was cheap and the screen was big which was also something that attacked me.

From there on learning what Android offered more than iOS I was glad I made the choice.

Upvote 0
A survey, just want to know guys` thinking when you choose Android.
Why did you choose Android instead of IOS?
Personal opinion. I read about Android long before it came out and wanted to experience it. In the mean time, a friend gave me an iPod because he 'didnt like it'. I then experienced iTunes and promptly gave away the iPod. iPhones generally have decent hardware, but the draconian way Apple treats their customers and developers leaves a bitter taste, combined with the whole iTunes experience (Gets worse every version it seems). I don't need to sync my whole device with Android to retrieve a single song at least. I prefer Android phones, windows tablets (only with Intel CPU and non RT os), and desktops and laptops that I can pick and choose my OS on.

Reactions: OrigSleuth
Upvote 0
Loads of reasons for choosing a modern android phone:

- many apps I need exist for android only
- can have an external SD card
- has a USB port which can talk to (most types of) USB storage
- has a user-visible file system so you can organise things properly
- easier to root (jailbreak)
- multiple apps can be running
- much more of the phone is accessible from a PC over USB or wifi, even if not rooted

IOS has:

- a simplified user interface which is better for a person who cannot understand any "computer" concepts
- a much better backup/restore (you can lose your phone and buy a new one and usually you get back what you had)
- the top iphone camera produces less ovesaturated/oversharpened pics than the Samsung S7
- Iphones have held the top fashion accessory spot for years

Both android and ios have

- millions of apps of which way over 90% are useless rubbish :)
- at the top end, the cameras are very similar because they all use the same Sony sensor

Itunes is a piece of junk software; very badly written and with a horrible user interface. But Android doesn't have a fully working backup solution either...

IMHO the ios paradigm, which pretends there is no file system, gets more and more painful as apps get more functional. But Apple can run with it by avoiding an external SD card option. If they offered that, they would find it hard to avoid. Currently you can connect an external SD card but only to transfer to/from the Camera Roll, which is dumb.

I have an Ipad2 and my GF had an Iphone4 and we both tore our hair out with them. They are great so long as they do out of the box what you want. But e.g. I spent an hour or two loading a different ringtone into the Iphone (yes I know now there are apps for doing it, but you should be able to create one on a PC and drop it in). The Ipad sits around the house as a portable web browser for guests...

I too came from Nokia, with the superb 808 camera being my last one. I got rid of it only because the web browser was useless for some websites I have to access. There was no obvious reason for this except, obviously, all app developers left the Nokia platform c. 2010 for Apple.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Biggest reason is lack of $$$. But now that ive gotten a taste of android i wouldnt even considered changing to iPhone. With 200€ you can get a fearly good phone and dont feel like you are missing out on anything. Moving towards open source is in my opinion the best thing for the consumer. No more of generic one size fits all products, but ones that can be costumized to fit the users needs.

Upvote 0
I prefer Android over Apple for the same reason I don't buy designer purses for thousands of dollars. Hype, marketing ploys and popularity do not create a superior product; they just make people look like suckers. Products should serve the purchaser, not the other way around. Android is a superior product that stands on its own merit. Besides, when I got my first Smartphone, I took my tech-savvy son with me to play interference with the sales people. They would have had me walking out with an iphone but when I turned to get his opinion, he just shook his head and I left with a Moto G. Smart boy, no?

Upvote 0
I prefer Android over Apple for the same reason I don't buy designer purses for thousands of dollars. Hype, marketing ploys and popularity do not create a superior product; they just make people look like suckers. Products should serve the purchaser, not the other way around. Android is a superior product that stands on its own merit.
vertu-ti-android-1.jpeg

If you do want to spend thousands of dollars on a designer Android to go with the handbags and gladrags, you can of course. :thumbsupdroid: ...don't want an iPhone, it's too common!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
View attachment 113493

If you do want to spend thousands of dollars on a designer Android to go with the handbags and gladrags, you can of course. :thumbsupdroid: ...don't want an iPhone, it's too common!

Yes you can spend an absolutely disgusting amount of money on some Android fashion accessory phones, if you want a gold and gem encrusted case. Each to his/her own taste I suppose.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones