• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[JELLYBEAN] Likes / Dislikes?

Lol any possible way to use the home button for Google now?

I'm not sure about being able to do it w/the stock TOUCHWIZ LAUNCHER, but, most Launcher replacement applications will allow you to customize the home button actions.

Just to test this out, I use HOLO LAUNCHER HD PLUS & created a home button shortcut to GOOGLE NOW.

Another option would be to install a replacement lock screen application.
Again, I have HOLO LOCKER PLUS & can customize the shortcuts to just about anything I want.
Not sure if you can change the shortcuts on the stock lock screen or not, but, long press on the apps on the lock screen & see if the option pops up to change the shortcut.

Upvote 0
I upgraded to one of the more popular Jellybean custom ROM links this weekend (Sprint variant). After months of reading threads about JB and "Project Butter", I was really looking forward to a transformative experience on my S3, but after a couple of days I'm sorry to say I'm somewhat underwhelmed...much the same experience as watching "Cloud Atlas" :). Here's my mini-review...please let me know if I'm missing something as I reallly want to love this release!

Interface - No real changes that I can see. I use the Nova Prime launcher, and the UI seems to be identical to ICS. Maybe there's more of a difference with JB on TouchWiz?

Functionality - Most of the functionality changes seem to be on the Settings menu. There are a few additional options for blocking (blocking mode, call/message blocking, etc.)...these are useful but certainly not a game changer. The Settings layout has been redone to include most of the options in a single list, which is convenient.

Performance - Really disappointed here. Performance certainly isn't any worse, but it isn't better either...in fact, if anything I notice occasional lag on home screen transitions. After months of hearing about "Project Butter", I can't believe it's not butter (couldn't resist).

Bugs - I've discovered a few bugs, nothing I can't work around though. Some of them may be due to the JB port on the custom ROM. For example, I can't add a widget directly by long pressing on the home screen...the menu comes up, but if I try to add the widget it just dies. Fortunately I can go to the Widgets drawer and do it from there. There are a couple of other similar bugs (one that's been widely reported is the home button bug, I didn't see it though).

Please let me know if I'm missing any new functionality...I've just had it for a couple of days and could have easily missed something. Thanks all!

Upvote 0
I was using Nova Prime before and after the JB upgrade...my point is that I don't see any real improvement in the sense it was pretty smooth before and remains that way now (although as I said, I've noticed occasional lag during transitions since the upgrade).

I see now there's a whole thread devoted to this in the sticky section...feel free to move this post.

Upvote 0
I was using Nova Prime before and after the JB upgrade...my point is that I don't see any real improvement in the sense it was pretty smooth before and remains that way now (although as I said, I've noticed occasional lag during transitions since the upgrade).

I see now there's a whole thread devoted to this in the sticky section...feel free to move this post.

Done & Done.

The JB update was mostly focused, as i understood it, on minor fixes and transitions. Because even though it earned a new title under Jelly Bean instead of ICS still, it still looks very similar to ICS.

The main difference should just be seen on how JB runs compared to ICS.

Upvote 0
I have HOLO LOCKER PLUS & can customize the shortcuts to just about anything I want.

I was previously unaware of this little gem. Thank-you! Using the free version for now, see how it goes. So far so good though. Much better than TW Lockscreen, in my opinion.

Couple of glitches where it will unlock straight away on wake, but doing the 'disable home button' seems to have fixed that. Not sure why that's not default. Perhaps mixing it with Nova Prime is causing some conflicts. Either way, no bugs since disabling the home button and the home button still wakes the screen. Perfect.

Edit: On a separate note - does anyone know where the setting for "home button always goes to home screen" is? Whenever the screen turns off and I wake it using the home button, it takes me back to the homescreen. This didn't happen in ICS and is very annoying.

Upvote 0
I did a factory reset, then restored only Data restore using TWRP. I believe this should be ok, although maybe not in this case?

One question: on some other JB phones I've noticed the lock screen has a large circle motif (about the size of a quarter)...mine still sports the same "swipe to unlock" motif. Am I missing something?

Upvote 0
why is everyone so quick to suggest a factory reset...not great advice.

How about rebooting the phone first, heh? Take it step at a time..no need to factory reset everytime an app doesn't work properly and stuff like that come on lol.

you need to FR after installing JB - seems to be the common understanding from here and the net in general - worked for me when reboots didnt etc

cheers

Upvote 0
why is everyone so quick to suggest a factory reset...not great advice.

How about rebooting the phone first, heh? Take it step at a time..no need to factory reset everytime an app doesn't work properly and stuff like that come on lol.

Well actually I am not "quick to suggest" it. I only suggest it when I believe it to be necessary.

Also, it's great advice to factory reset after an update, whether there be an immediate issue it not. It's the best way to get rid of "rubbish data" and a good preventative measure for things going wrong shortly after.

Come on man, I.play with android source code for fun... at least give me the benefit of the doubt that I slightly know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Wow I didn't realise how many people had bad experiences with jb.. For me it has made it's been a great improvement, Feels noticeably slicker and smoother, Especially when I compare to my friend's ICS S3s. So far, Around 7/8 days, I've had no forced app closes. Whereas with ICS I'd get loads, Around 5 a day. And also the biggest improvement for me personally is the battery. My average life was so bad I was 99% I was going to trade it in for another phone. I used to come back from work after 10 hours out with mild use and on average have 30% of life left. I actually used to turn off mobile data to get a better life.
Now with the same hours but actually more use, I get back home with on average 75%. Thats with half brightness, a full hour and a half of calls and browsing and countless notifications, Not having to turn anything I dont want too off. Loving it so far.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Wow I didn't realise how many people had bad experiences with jb.. For me it has made it's been a great improvement, Feels noticeably slicker and smoother, Especially when I compare to my friend's ICS S3s. So far, Around 7/8 days, I've had no forced app closes. Whereas with ICS I'd get loads, Around 5 a day. And also the biggest improvement for me personally is the battery. My average life was so bad I was 99% I was going to trade it in for another phone. I used to come back from work after 10 hours out with mild use and on average have 30% of life left. I actually used to turn off mobile data to get a better life.
Now with the same hours but actually more use, I get back home with on average 75%. Thats with half brightness, a full hour and a half of calls and browsing and countless notifications, Not having to turn anything I dont want too off. Loving it so far.

I think the majority of people are going to like JELLY BEAN. Trust me, coming from GINGERBREAD & only being on ICS for 3 weeks, the changes are very substantial & definitely noticeable.
Even though I'm in a weak 3G coverage area, my phones' responsiveness is smoother & noticeably quicker.

I myself have one fairly minor bug (ZOOMING issue). It's not a crippling issue & by no means would I revert back to ICS to get rid of the bug, it'll be fixed soon enough, as most issues probably will be shortly after JELLY BEAN is out to everyone.

Unfortunately, you're gonna hear more of the bad than the good on the update, or, for any phone/OS related topics, as this is where people come to find the answers.

Upvote 0
Massive? It's slightly smoother. iOS standard would be massive.

Yes, massive. No idea what ios standard is. It's not hard to make a grid of almost square icons scroll smoothly. Our app drawer does that and has done since android 2.1

Truth is we have no idea how smooth ios would be with fancy draw transition effects and high resolution widgets so the point is moot.

We don't actually care about ios in this thread. I created it to discuss our likes and dislikes of jellybean. Not everything here needs to compare with apple.

Anyway until you mirror my ics setup and compare it to my jellybean setup, you will not be able to quantify how much of a difference *I* notice

Upvote 0
2 quick JB questions. I updated my wifes S3, via Kies (It told me firmwear was not up to date, so just upgraded with that) and since then she's had a couple of minor bugs. So, the questions:

1. It's mentioned above that a factory reset can help after an update. When factory resetting, I take it this will wipe all data, do I just then run a restore from the backup I created in Kies? If so what about apps, as for some reason Kies didn't like trying to back them up?

2. One of the biggest annoyances since JB upgrade is that she charges her phone in the bedroom at night, now when the phone is fully charged it sounds a notification, and not just once. This is very annoying and has woken me up a few times. It never happened before JB and I cannot find an option to diable it. Any advice.

3. How do you get expandable notifications. I haven't seen any difference in the way notifications are displayed. The only difference in the notification area seems to be the block setting and the clock.

Got some questions about how google now works too, but I'll research that a bit as I'm sure there are guides around.

Ta.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones