• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Metro PCS has 3G now!!!

I just found out that Cricket offers 3g for the Ascend.This means the Ascend is a 3g capable phone. I did not know this. My Ascend is running on Metropcs' network and offers 1x speed. Does anyone know if there is a way to make a Metropcs Ascend 3g capable?:thinking:
yes there is a way but just wait for a month and you'll have it
metropcs does not offer 3g service thats the thing. its only 1x and 4g lte(in which u need a 4g lte compatible phone). but if u look at my video i posted, metros 1x is fast enuf.

and ^ that is correct but incorrect as well. Currently around the country people have been getting 3g for metropcs phones ;)

Upvote 0
i live in detroit and have never seen nor ever heard of anyone getting 3g here thats all i have been trying to do since i got this phone. You go into a metro pcs store here and the salesman will tell you 3g? no we got 4g so i ask to look at his phone and see that it has a 4g signal but am explaining to him what all this means while he is grabbing his phone so he then hesitates and realizes he has never had 4g and proceeds to ask me what 1x means. I could not belive someone with such little knowledge could own a metro store
haha

Upvote 0
yo the only reason that you guys are getting 3g is because metro pcs is getting a new samsung android called the samsung admire and its 3G ONLY therefore they had to bring back up the 3g networks to accomodate it.

glad i could help :)

That kinda sucks for that phone, really. In areas with poor signals, I can't get a strong enough signal to run 3G, but I can still run 1X. It's slow, but at least I still have some sort of service.

Upvote 0
Metro reps know nothing, they never do. However you should all know the answer is "yes this is happening."

Its real evdo. It is specifically for Metro's most bogged down markets to alleviate stress on their "growing to fast for them to keep up" android penetration. It is most likely temporary until full LTE growth is achieved (where on the coverage map LTE is available everywhere all shades of purple happen to be, not just the dark spots.

Other than that, depending on where you are your evdo speeds maybe horrifically capped or as fast as sprint's.

So stop questioning it, it is really happening.

Upvote 0
idk ask metro but its 3g evdo only according to cnet and samsung maybe it was a typo

Most phones are backward compatible. So like the ascend is 3g capable, but if there is no 3g signal, then it just works at the 1x rates...most phones are like that. I had a Iphone 3gs from AT&T...(Boy i miss that phone...not the service..but the phone). AT&T had really crappy 3g coverage for where i lived at the time, but i had no problems with a slower connection.

Upvote 0
Hey guess what I just found out, one of my co-workers, with her Huawei Ascend, had freaking 3G on it!

What. The hell?

Speedtest results:
bj8ykp.png
20rjt47.png
28hdfgp.png

Upvote 0
I live in lake wales florida. after reading all this last night I dialed *228 and updated my roaming list. Then today I noticed I was 3g all over town. Even at home. wow what a differance. Im loving it. I was told a while back that metro was skipping 3g and only getting g. Im glad they where wrong phone is deffinetly better now with 3g. Im so excited I just cant hide it,. lol:D
I just checked wifes optimus m and she is 3 g tooo. yahoooo.

Upvote 0
It just showed up on my phone today but I have the LG Optimus M and live in Lakeland, Florida
no clue were lakeland is heard of it tho, i live in fort lauderdale about 45 mins away from miami depending on how fast u drive 30 mins was my fastest time anyways but still noo 3g maybe the 3g signal spreading further down florida that wat i was thing were is lakeland anyways???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones